I hear y'all talking about the G.O.A.T.

As time goes by, trends disappear and memories fade...opinions change. I been noticing a lot of questions about why B.I.G. is considered the G.O.A.T. with only 2 albums under his belt. Its a fair question, especially from cats that were too young to really feel sun's impact while he was alive...so let me drop my 2 cents real quick. Not trying to beat a dead horse. just keeping my G's memory alive.

First off, to understand the man's impact when he first hit the scene...think of Drake's buzz....TIMES 10.

A lot of people front on Drake because of his image and Disney channel background, not to mention that his brand of music really ain't for everyone...but the buzz that BIG had he dropped was astronomical...and this is at a time when Hip-Hop was at its apex.

eit9mr8079ygy98.jpg

Dre had dropped his opus The Chronic, then Snoop grabbed the National spotlight with Doggystyle. Music would never be the same and the West Coast had a vice grip on the pulse of Hip-Hop.

As time goes by, trends disappear and memories fade...opinions change. I been noticing a lot of questions about why B.I.G. is considered the G.O.A.T. with only 2 albums under his belt. Its a fair question, especially from cats that were too young to really feel sun's impact while he was alive...so let me drop my 2 cents real quick. Not trying to beat a dead horse. just keeping my G's memory alive.

First off, to understand the man's impact when he first hit the scene...think of Drake's buzz....TIMES 10.

A lot of people front on Drake because of his image and Disney channel background, not to mention that his brand of music really ain't for everyone...but the buzz that BIG had he dropped was astronomical...and this is at a time when Hip-Hop was at its apex.

eit9mr8079ygy98.jpg

Dre had dropped his opus The Chronic, then Snoop grabbed the National spotlight with Doggystyle. Music would never be the same and the West Coast had a vice grip on the pulse of Hip-Hop.

A couple moths later the Wu bust out of nowhere and f_ed up everybody heads with 36 Chambers and Nas had hardcore Hip-Hop heads on stuck with an perfectly laid out Illmatic, which took the artform to a place it had never been before...but those classic albums largely flew under the radar for the time being...

A couple moths later the Wu bust out of nowhere and f_ed up everybody heads with 36 Chambers and Nas had hardcore Hip-Hop heads on stuck with an perfectly laid out Illmatic, which took the artform to a place it had never been before...but those classic albums largely flew under the radar for the time being...

But all of a sudden, this whisper started spreading in the streets..."you ever heard of this _ Biggie Smalls?..Yeah son nice."

Little raw snippets of B.I.G.'s demo material and street verses were starting to circulate on the mixtape circuit and it was definitely catching people's ear

Puff strategically started putting his verses on Remixes of artists that were already popping at the time. And then them two went into the studio and built an atomic bomb.

But all of a sudden, this whisper started spreading in the streets..."you ever heard of this _ Biggie Smalls?..Yeah son nice."

Little raw snippets of B.I.G.'s demo material and street verses were starting to circulate on the mixtape circuit and it was definitely catching people's ear

Puff strategically started putting his verses on Remixes of artists that were already popping at the time. And then them two went into the studio and built an atomic bomb.

Originally Posted by abeautifulhaze

You rewriting history over here for your man Biggie Smalls?

You better be coming out the cuts with some off the wall explaining cause I don't see where you're going with this thread..

You better be coming out the cuts with some off the wall explaining cause I don't see where you're going with this thread..

Originally Posted by WillyBuck

36 Chambers peaked at 41 on Billboard, Illmatic at 12 and didn't go Plat until 2001....Hip-Hop head loved both instantly but neither just their just due at the time Death Row ans WC Gangsta Music was reigning.

Ready to Die Peaked at 13, won a Grammy, and had 3 Billboard hit singles. Act like you remember, if you do.

As we continue on...

Originally Posted by WillyBuck

36 Chambers peaked at 41 on Billboard, Illmatic at 12 and didn't go Plat until 2001....Hip-Hop head loved both instantly but neither just their just due at the time Death Row ans WC Gangsta Music was reigning.

Ready to Die Peaked at 13, won a Grammy, and had 3 Billboard hit singles. Act like you remember, if you do.

As we continue on...

Originally Posted by Animal Thug1539

I think he's trying to say that BIG is the GOAT, but that's just me.

Originally Posted by Animal Thug1539

I think he's trying to say that BIG is the GOAT, but that's just me.

When they dropped those verses, with that
sick.gif
a_ beat and the Robert Kelly sample...

05935273ef6c321897742e3b55140e713d6f7d1.gif

Every radio station was bumping that s_ religiously, _s was blowing out their boxes blasting that in Acuras and Jeeps. Before social networks, cell phones and the internet...BIG's name spread to every corner of the country on just word of mouth.

" They know BIG be handlin, with the Mac in the Ac door Paneling...Bandaging MCs. Oxygen, they can't breathe! Mad tricks up the sleeve. Wear Boxers so my d_ can Breathe..."

smh.gif

First off, sun's voice was one of the best ever. Thats one of the most important factors of being an ill MC...Your voice. Its the first thing people hear and in a genre where you don't need singing ability and masculinity is at a premium, you gotta catch people's attention in that first instant...BIG did that. That deep, gruff but melodic voice was like a drum sound in itself.

On top of the voice, you add a natural intelligence and musical gift, Kings of Comedy type wit and Puff's genius behind the boards...the takeover was complete. BIG snatched the Mic and brought the attention back to New York.

And he was just getting started...

When they dropped those verses, with that
sick.gif
a_ beat and the Robert Kelly sample...

05935273ef6c321897742e3b55140e713d6f7d1.gif

Every radio station was bumping that s_ religiously, _s was blowing out their boxes blasting that in Acuras and Jeeps. Before social networks, cell phones and the internet...BIG's name spread to every corner of the country on just word of mouth.

" They know BIG be handlin, with the Mac in the Ac door Paneling...Bandaging MCs. Oxygen, they can't breathe! Mad tricks up the sleeve. Wear Boxers so my d_ can Breathe..."

smh.gif

First off, sun's voice was one of the best ever. Thats one of the most important factors of being an ill MC...Your voice. Its the first thing people hear and in a genre where you don't need singing ability and masculinity is at a premium, you gotta catch people's attention in that first instant...BIG did that. That deep, gruff but melodic voice was like a drum sound in itself.

On top of the voice, you add a natural intelligence and musical gift, Kings of Comedy type wit and Puff's genius behind the boards...the takeover was complete. BIG snatched the Mic and brought the attention back to New York.

And he was just getting started...

Then this dropped and there was no turning back...

Who is rawer, who is realer with the wordplay, more creative, who flows like that while thinking up that kind of s_...what other MC has that collection of skills at that elite level?!

Tell me. I really want to know.

"Don't be mad...UPS is hiring"
laugh.gif

Nas is the most poetic, Pun and Em's flows are perfect, Jay is the slickest with words and the best self promoter, Rakim was the originator and most influential ever, Pac was the most passionate and biggest artist to bless Hip-Hop, 3Stacks flow is silly and his mind is a step ahead...but who had or has the total package of voice, wit, charisma, flow, hits, metaphors, creativity and impact of BIG?

No one IMO.

Then this dropped and there was no turning back...

Who is rawer, who is realer with the wordplay, more creative, who flows like that while thinking up that kind of s_...what other MC has that collection of skills at that elite level?!

Tell me. I really want to know.

"Don't be mad...UPS is hiring"
laugh.gif

Nas is the most poetic, Pun and Em's flows are perfect, Jay is the slickest with words and the best self promoter, Rakim was the originator and most influential ever, Pac was the most passionate and biggest artist to bless Hip-Hop, 3Stacks flow is silly and his mind is a step ahead...but who had or has the total package of voice, wit, charisma, flow, hits, metaphors, creativity and impact of BIG?

No one IMO.

See, this sort of argument is complex. Here's why. My opinion, I believe the best album ever released was Life After Death. I made a thread about it. The best album of any genre. Than at the same time, I think the best rapper ever is 2Pac; and I'm a east coast dude.

BIG; in my opinion - is credited as the best East Coast rapper ever.

Now the reason I dont credit BIG as the best rapper ever even though I give him the title of having the best album ever is because he wasn't as influential as 2Pac was.

And the reason I dont say Pac had the best album ever out even though I credit him as the best rapper ever is because his album (All eyez on Me - which was IMO his best) had too many features which overshadowed his remarkable talent. Me Against the World was probably his best lyrical album although the production wasn't top notch.

Back
Top Bottom