I never Knew so many people were against Affirmative Action...

Originally Posted by SillySneakS

AA is a good thing because minorities do need the "help",
because if it were up to most people hiring they would
pick white people instead. Racism has never left, and never will.
smh.gif

So you overcome racism by only picking people based on the color of their skin? FWIW, I do agree that there are certain circumstances where AA is necessary,however it is completely hypocritical. Overcome racism by singling somebody out because the color of their skin? Get outta here. A friend of mine in highschool was African American and the son of a renowned surgeon who was probably making about $500,000 a year. They lived in a $2 million dollar house andenjoyed the good life. She was an average student and did average on her SAT/ACT tests. Another friend of mine was white and from an average upper/middlesuburbian family. She busted her !$! in high school and had all the extracurriculars to get into a top tier school. When it came down to applying, the AfricanAmerican girl was accepted and the white girl was denied. Was this right? Absolutely not. As I said, there is a need for aid in some situations...but to acceptsomebody for a job or university simply because of the color of their skin is ridiculous.

smh.gif
I just seriously laughed at this response.
smh.gif

JR5

should be based on socioeconomics rather than race. a rich black person has less difficulty growing up than a poor white kid. its all about money. race as atie breaker. maybe.

Originally Posted by socluis90

HOWEVER I have realized that if it were up to the rich and powerful they'd hire only white people therefore I think A.A. is needed for now until everyone gets over their racist beliefs. It's sad that race is still a factor in a lot of #+@ going on today.

So all rich and powerful people would only employ white people?
indifferent.gif

Companies are in the business of making money and in order to make the most amount of money they hire the best people for the job regardless of race!

AA needs to end.

It's a shame people can't get hired or get into a school based off their abilities and qualifications. With that said AA itself is racist (some idiotswould call it "reverse racism", but reverse racism denotes that only white people can be racist...and that is racist). The thing about AA is thatunlike other forms of racism it has a point. It's point is to prevent companies and schools from practicing racism on who they hire or who gets in. Thisis why I am not fully against AA, because if it's preventing a white dude from getting a job one place it's probably helping a minority get a jobelsewhere. In the end I hope one day we get to the point where people just get hired or get into a school based off of who they are not what they look like.

Virtually AA could be an explanation for racism that still exist. If employment was solely about paychecks, then regardless of color there would be equalopportunity.

laugh.gif
As I read the responses there's a reason that threads like this should be automatically locked on sight.

Originally Posted by Essential1

I got into a discussion about this in American Politics we broke up into 5 groups of 6-10 kids, My discussion with another kid stopped the whole class and it became a 1 on 1 debate. Me being on the pro Affirmative Action side.

I really don't think some white people understand how easy they have it compared to some minorities (I am white).... Not to say white people don't struggle but certain things they don't have to deal with that other groups do. Things that effect everyday life.

People also don't realize for every unqualified Affirmative Action reception there is a white guy who doesn't deserve the job (so what is the explanation of that).

Many times blacks, Hispanics, Asians, woman etc. are still looked over for jobs with affirmative action and they are more qualified.

And then if you are a minority and you earned your spot you are an automatic affirmative action hire. (Obama, Sotomayor, the list goes on)

The racism and bigotry in this country is not dead at all.

While I do believe an economic status Affirmative Action is better and will cover more people, we cannot just abolish Affirmative Action completely.

And to sum it up as a White Male I have never felt hindered, cheated whatever by Affirmative Action. My resume speaks for itself. I don't get a job I don't get a job. I don't blame anyone else for it.
Well put

Originally Posted by JRose5

smh.gif
I just seriously laughed at this response.
smh.gif

JR5
That makes two of us. I am against AA, therefore I must be racist.

I think race should take no part in a person gettin a job or a school. The most qualified should get in. That being said i am against affirmative action.

Originally Posted by Fmr12B

Originally Posted by socluis90

HOWEVER I have realized that if it were up to the rich and powerful they'd hire only white people therefore I think A.A. is needed for now until everyone gets over their racist beliefs. It's sad that race is still a factor in a lot of #+@ going on today.

So all rich and powerful people would only employ white people?
indifferent.gif

Companies are in the business of making money and in order to make the most amount of money they hire the best people for the job regardless of race!

AA needs to end.
But that [color= rgb(0, 255, 0)]is[/color] the point tho, are wegoing to rely on an honor code, hoping that these companies are giving everyone a fair chance? We don't have AA in Canada, however since Canada (or atleast Toronto) is such a multicultural place; it never becomes much of an issue. I'd like to think that we are judged more so on our stats than skin color.However I do know that I am a more attractive job candidate after I have an interview, mainly because the amount of minorities in the places I interview forare extremely low. The problem with America is that racism is still very much alive in the corporate world as well as in your obvious areas (ie the south,midwest). Perhaps a study needs to be done to see if AA is actually a benefit. Let's take a number of equally matched individuals and let's see whatthey are making compared to their education, grades, prior job history etc. If the numbers are roughly the same across the board for individuals of allraces/sex then perhaps we can say that is working.....thus allowing for a reform of AA over the years...annual assessments should be done to make sure thatthings are going according to plan. If the numbers are not the same, then we should be looking at the companies whoaren't giving the individuals a fair deal/chance....

To me, it's a catch 22....win win for some, lose lose for others
grin.gif

All they need to do is treat people fairly and AA wouldn't be needed.

PHILADELPHIA -- Sunoco Inc. has agreed to pay $5.5 million to settle a discrimination suit filed by current and former employees who claimed they were denied promotions because they were African-American, reported the Associated Press.

For every Sotomayor, there are hundreds of Blacks being denied opportunity solely on the basis of the color of their skin.

http://www.allbusiness.com/retail-trade/food-stores/4483777-1.html

Originally Posted by TBONE95860

Supreme Court Justice nominee Sotomayor....

PAPER: Sotomayor once described herself as 'product of affirmative action'...

...admitted to two Ivy League schools despite scoring lower on standardized tests than many classmates, which she attributed to 'cultural biases... built into testing'... Developing...

Eh, this is an irrelevant headline IMO. Sotomayor graduated summa cum laude from Princeton and graduated with distinction from Yale...she was also editor of the Yale Law Journal. Moreover, this goes to show that performance on standardized tests isn't entirely indicative of how well astudent can do at any given institution, particularly for minorities. It honestly depends on how industriuos the student is.

And from a legal perspective, affirmative action will never go away. It will simply be disguised as 'the interest of diversity for the private institution,' and all of the top schools value diversity in some form or fashion. Quotas and official hardline numbersfor admission have long been eradicated, but softer, more interpretative means of admitting qualified minorities will continue to remain.

Originally Posted by GoVols234

smh.gif

So you overcome racism by only picking people based on the color of their skin? FWIW, I do agree that there are certain circumstances where AA is necessary, however it is completely hypocritical. Overcome racism by singling somebody out because the color of their skin? Get outta here. A friend of mine in high school was African American and the son of a renowned surgeon who was probably making about $500,000 a year. They lived in a $2 million dollar house and enjoyed the good life. She was an average student and did average on her SAT/ACT tests. Another friend of mine was white and from an average upper/middle suburbian family. She busted her !$! in high school and had all the extracurriculars to get into a top tier school. When it came down to applying, the African American girl was accepted and the white girl was denied. Was this right? Absolutely not. As I said, there is a need for aid in some situations...but to accept somebody for a job or university simply because of the color of their skin is ridiculous.

That's quite unfortunate. The way I see it, no "system" is perfect so occasionally, you have to expect flaws in the system.

With that said, realize that what you described was an independent case. Let's use your "example" to discuss this--On average, how many childrenof prominent "black" surgeons making upwards of $500,000 a year and living in $2 million dollar homes do you see benefiting, unfairly, fromA.Action-- while their white upper/middle class peers are given the short end of the stick...how many...? In simpler terms, how many whites do you think areregularly disadvantaged at the expense of well-off blacks and/or minorities?

Now the opposite. On average, How many "black" children do you think are at a disadvantage relative to their well-off white peers...?

If you're the least bit in touch with reality, you'll realize that the latter case/question is the real issue at hand, and not the former case youpresented. As previously stated, Affirmative action is not a perfect system. No system is. More often than not however, it helps those that are indeeddisadvantaged than the contrary. The fact is, WE LIVE IN WHITE AMERICA--this is the case and will always be the case. Affirmative action only tries to levelthe playing field by taking that into consideration (and notice that i said "tries" because I personally don't even think it does much to levelthe playing field). It's unfortunate that some genuinely hard-working whites are passed over because of the color of their skin, but as previously stated,that's in the minority. For all intensive purposes and for the most part, "white-skin" comes with a lot of overt and covert privileges. The samecannot be said for "black/darker-skin"

To end on a comical note, like Chris Rock said, "y'all had a 200 year head start, so why the %$#& am I supposed to feel sorry for you because youdidn't get in..."

Originally Posted by ninjallamafromhell

Originally Posted by Dirtylicious

y'all had a 200 year head start
exactly

ya'll preaching fairness are benefiting from 2 CENTURIES of unfairness towards minorities.
What an idiotic argument.

How so?....trickle down effect my llama....but, I guess you wouldn'tunderstand

Originally Posted by TD The God

exactly

ya'll preaching fairness are benefiting from 2 CENTURIES of unfairness towards minorities.
How so?....trickle down effect my llama....but, I guess you wouldn't understand

word. we just talked about this in class. my teacher explained it like this: Generation A black man works for Generation A white man. Gen A blk man can notlearn to read and all of his work benefits generation a wht man. What does Gen A blk man have to pass down? Nothing. On the other hand, Gen A white man hasknowledge and money. Continue this cycle through the generations and you end up with black folk way behind. We don't have old money sitting around for us.

exactly

Oh yeah, sorry. I forgot that no white person anywhere has ever done anything to get where they are now. No white person anywhere is strugglingto get through life right now because of the events that happened over the last two hundred years. I must of had a lapse in memory to forget that every singlewhite gets everything handed to them on a silver platter.

exactly

Oh yeah, sorry. I forgot that no white person anywhere has ever done anything to get where they are now. No white person anywhere is struggling to get through life right now because of the events that happened over the last two hundred years. I must of had a lapse in memory to forget that every single white gets everything handed to them on a silver platter.

chill llama, nobody is saying that individuals haven't prevailed or struggled, weare looking at people as a whole/group...to look at a single case in either direction wouldn't make much sense, would it?

exactly

Oh yeah, sorry. I forgot that no white person anywhere has ever done anything to get where they are now. No white person anywhere is struggling to get through life right now because of the events that happened over the last two hundred years. I must of had a lapse in memory to forget that every single white gets everything handed to them on a silver platter.
chill llama, nobody is saying that individuals haven't prevailed or struggled, we are looking at people as a whole/group...to look at a single case in either direction wouldn't make much sense, would it?

Maybe you aren't TD, but some are.

exactly

chill llama, nobody is saying that individuals haven't prevailed or struggled, we are looking at people as a whole/group...to look at a single case in either direction wouldn't make much sense, would it?

Exactly--that's the funny thing about all these anti-A.A arguments, rather than looking at costs and benefits appropriated to everyoneinvolved, they tend to focus only on the costs appropriated towards whites. And that is apparently, reason enough to "shun" A.Action.

Not every white person is born with a silver spoon in their mouth, but do understand that being white is, in of itself, an advantage that procures benefitsunavailable to non-white minority groups. Regardless of how well-off/or not a white person is, their skin color is something they will always have over anon-white. Realize this...

So if you are against AA you are a "racist"?

Affirmative Action basically says "You cant do it alone." and all it is quotas. There was a higher proportion of Blacks rising out of poverty between1940-1960 (with no major federal civil rights legislation) than in the 1970's, when the first decade of AA came into play.

Thomas Sowell once said. (Who is a Black man)

Affirmative action is great for black millionaires but it has done little or nothing for most people in the ghetto.

Originally Posted by ballinamillion1

My math teacher back in high school was a racist, I was talking to this girl about her boyfriend and I said that he looked like the guy that was the shooter of the virginia tech massacre. We had the discussion a few weeks after the shooting and the guy looked just like him and my teacher busts out and call me a racist in front of the class, the girl i was talking to was like he really does look just like him. I apologized and w.e and the girl was like for what you didnt need to apologize the teacher called you out for no reason.

Fast forward to yesterday I went to visit my old high school with one of my boys and we talked to this teacher and she was like I'm happy you guys are having fun at the university of michigan. Then she hit us with the u know I applied there i was already like
eyes.gif
. She then proceeded to talk about how she got a 32 on the act and a grade point similar to mine and she was waitlisted. I was like wow that sucked
eyes.gif
again lol.

Then she said yea U know its different for me OBVIOUSLY because I was a white female trying to get in, and you guys can imagine how difficult It would be for a WHITE MALE to get in. At that point I was like trying not to say anything and just said I will talk to u later. I was heated man, like I've got white friends at good schools that had crappy act scores especially michigan
smh.gif

its really a shame man the whole incident really left a bad taste in my mouth and I'm prlly never returning to my old high school. btw im black lol

roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif

I remember that story!!!

Back
Top Bottom