If Kobe retired today, what would be his place on the all-time list?

eeibaby:
23ska909red02:
Menacin Methods:
Well i never seen Bill Russell, Wilt, Kareem, Oscar and West play.
I seen Magic and Bird play but they were past there prime.

What i don't understand is how can you put these guys in your top 10 if you never seen them play?
Exactly! Excellent point.

Except I usually take that point a step further. People always want to give props to MLK, Jr and Jesus H. Christ and Teddy Roosevelt, and I'm always like "Wait, did you ever see them dudes? Break bread w/ 'em, hang out a little bit?"

Like you're saying, if a person doesn't have a personal, working memory to fall back on in forming am opinion of someone, then the records kept on that person are worthless, without worth, worth nothing, and irrelevant.

Well said.
Yeah I totally agree on that but since that is the case, anyone under the age of lets say 30 or so shouldn't be able to list whose on the greatest all time
I hope you can see I was being completely sarcastic.

Records are kept for a reason.

If anyone really believes that you can only give props to a guy they have currently seen play, then that means that they really and truly would have no opinionon who was better between Kwame Brown and Wilt Chamberlain.

Think about that for a second, let it marinate on the mind.

Someone asks 'Who's better: Kwame Brown or Wilt the Stilt?', and someone else responds 'I can't really call it, man. Never saw Wilt.'

C'mon, man.
laugh.gif

Yes, you can have an opinion on someone outside of your generation.

westcoastsfinest:
He still won't be the greatest Laker
I'll be fair about it and say that he could be the GLOAT in my opinion, grabbing from the guy I would currently give it to, Magic.

Magic was 5-3 in the Finals; Kobe is 4-2. If Kobe loses one more and wins one more, he'll be tied with Magic.

How's it looking for him to finish Top Ten in scoring? I know he passed Ewing tonight for sole possession of #15 all time. How reasonable is it for him tocrack Top Ten?

'Cause if he's tied with Magic in the Finals record and he finishes Top Ten in all-time scoring for the NBA and he remains a Laker for his entirecareer, I'd say he's at least tied with Magic in, and on some days, I might even argue him being the greatest Laker by himself.

And if he finishes with a better Finals record than Magic and top 7 in scoring and remains a Laker, I'd have to call him the GLOAT, all biases aside.

Originally Posted by eeibaby

Originally Posted by blacklion23

2,3,4, or 5.
laugh.gif

He's top 20 but not top 10

Not in particular order

Wilt
Bird
Magic
Oscar
Bill
Jerry West
Kareem
Cousy
Bill Russell
Jordan
Not top 10??
roll.gif
Drag ur cursor to the top rightcorner and right click the "X"

BTW. I cant stand Kobe.

Originally Posted by westcoastsfinest

Magic is my favorite player of all time, but I don't know why you always say this. When Kobe finally hangs up the Nikes he's going to haveevery major Laker record except the assist record and more than likely is going to match or even surpass Magic's title total with 5. So why wouldn't heat that point be considered the greatest Laker of all time?

Originally Posted by 23ska909red02

westcoastsfinest:
I'll be fair about it and say that he could be the GLOAT in my opinion, grabbing from the guy I would currently give it to, Magic.

Magic was 5-3 in the Finals; Kobe is 4-2. If Kobe loses one more and wins one more, he'll be tied with Magic.

How's it looking for him to finish Top Ten in scoring? I know he passed Ewing tonight for sole possession of #15 all time. How reasonable is it for him to crack Top Ten?

'Cause if he's tied with Magic in the Finals record and he finishes Top Ten in all-time scoring for the NBA and he remains a Laker for his entire career, I'd say he's at least tied with Magic in, and on some days, I might even argue him being the greatest Laker by himself.

And if he finishes with a better Finals record than Magic and top 7 in scoring and remains a Laker, I'd have to call him the GLOAT, all biases aside.

All-Time Scoring Leaders List

eeibaby:
23ska909red02:
Menacin Methods:

What i don't understand is how can you put these guys in your top 10 if you never seen them play?

Except I usually take that point a step further. People always want to give props to MLK, Jr and Jesus H. Christ and Teddy Roosevelt, and I'm always like "Wait, did you ever see them dudes? Break bread w/ 'em, hang out a little bit?"

Like you're saying, if a person doesn't have a personal, working memory to fall back on in forming am opinion of someone, then the records kept on that person are worthless, without worth, worth nothing, and irrelevant.

Well said.
Yeah I totally agree on that but since that is the case, anyone under the age of lets say 30 or so shouldn't be able to list whose on the greatest all time
I hope you can see I was being completely sarcastic.

Records are kept for a reason.

If anyone really believes that you can only give props to a guy they have currently seen play, then that means that they really and truly would have no opinion on who was better between Kwame Brown and Wilt Chamberlain.

Someone asks 'Who's better: Kwame Brown or Wilt the Stilt?', and someone else responds 'I can't really call it, man. Never saw Wilt.'

C'mon, man.
laugh.gif

Dude. Sorry to interrupt, but I would go as far as saying that Kwame Brown would be way better in the Wilt era than he is in this Era. Kwameprobably wouldnt have been a better player than Wilt, but you cant honestly say the era back then was better or even the same as the era now. Kwame playing inthat era wouldnt be riding the pine. Size and strength alone would have made him a beast back then. And comparing Political and Holy figures to NBA basketballplayers isnt a good comparison. NBA era skill levels have changed since the Wilt day's. With that being said, Kobe drops 50 a game in that era. Be real,who stops or even slows him down in that era.

goukiteg:
23ska909red02:
westcoastsfinest:

How's it looking for him to finish Top Ten in scoring? I know he passed Ewing tonight for sole possession of #15 all time. How reasonable is it for him to crack Top Ten?

'Cause if he's tied with Magic in the Finals record and he finishes Top Ten in all-time scoring for the NBA and he remains a Laker for his entire career, I'd say he's at least tied with Magic in, and on some days, I might even argue him being the greatest Laker by himself.

All-Time Scoring Leaders List
Thanks.

So yeah, if he averages 30 for the rest of the season and 25 for the next 2 seasons, he'll finish #5.

I think it's safe to say that'll happen.
laugh.gif

What the hell is with all you guys leaving off Kareem?

He's a top 3 Laker, easily, and one of the top 10 greatest ever.

MJ, Bird, Magic, Kobe, Dream, Wilt, Oscar, Duncan, Stockton, Russell.

That's 10 right now. Some might gawk at Stockton, but the man is the best little-man ever in the NBA.

I'd put Kobe up in the realm of MJ, Bird, Magic, Dream, and Wilt.

He'll end up somewhere in the middle of the top 10, but unless he gets 6 rings, I'm going to have a hard time putting him above Dream, Wilt, Bird, andMagic. Those guys are legends who cannot be trumped IMO.

TCERDA:
23ska909red02:
If anyone really believes that you can only give props to a guy they have currently seen play, then that means that they really and truly would have no opinion on who was better between Kwame Brown and Wilt Chamberlain.

C'mon, man.
laugh.gif

Dude. Sorry to interrupt, but I would go as far as saying that Kwame Brown would be way better in the Wilt era than he is in this Era. Kwame probably wouldnt have been a better player than Wilt, but you cant honestly say the era back then was better or even the same as the era now. Kwame playing in that era wouldnt be riding the pine. Size and strength alone would have made him a beast back then. And comparing Political and Holy figures to NBA basketball players isnt a good comparison. NBA era skill levels have changed since the Wilt day's. With that being said, Kobe drops 50 a game in that era. Be real, who stops or even slows him down in that era.
You quoted me and then typed a whole lot that had nothing to do with what I brought up.

Yes, Kwame would be better in that era than he is in our era... but I didn't say anything about that.

You want to ask 'Would Kwame be better in that era or this era?'

I asked 'Would Wilt be better than Kwame?'

And I didn't compare any figures to any athletes. Simply mentioning someone in a discussion doesn't mean there's a comparison.

The reason I brought up those political and religious figures was to talk about not being able to speak on someone you don't have a working, personalmemory of, which is something I find ridiculous.

Whenever people rank players like Cousy, Chamberlain, Maravich and other guys that played in the earlier decades of the leage, I always feel like they'rejust placing them there because they feel like they're "supposed" to or something. I've never seen any of those guys play in an actual game,and neither has most of the people on this board (that's if they were even televised). I'm all for paying homage to those who paved the way, but letsbe real, If we're talking best players of all time, a lot of those guys wouldn't make the cut. It's almost only fair to separate discussions likethis into time periods.

I agree with whoever said the 15 players on anyone's list probably has kobe as top 10 on their list.

the only person that would never put kobe above him is probably Mike himself
laugh.gif

the only person that would never put kobe above him is probably Mike himself

Magic has said that Kobe isn't in the discussion (being better than Magic) 'til he has five rings.

Bill Simmons has Kobe at 8.

Menacin Methods:

Except I usually take that point a step further. people always want to give props to MLK, Jr and Jesus H. Christ and Teddy Roosevelt, and I'm always like Wait, did you ever see them dudes? Break bread w/ 'em, hang out a little bit?'

Well said.
So, you're saying in 20-30 years MJ will be irrelevant? People will forget about him and place him in the back, because they didn't get tosee him play or have a memory of him?

EDIT: Just read what you wrote after. Sorry
embarassed.gif

Originally Posted by Mamba MVP

Magic is my favorite player of all time, but I don't know why you always say this. When Kobe finally hangs up the Nikes he's going to have every major Laker record except the assist record and more than likely is going to match or even surpass Magic's title total with 5. So why wouldn't he at that point be considered the greatest Laker of all time?
23ska909red02 wrote:

fellas were talking about today...TODAY...if kobe retired TODAY

Retired today and I'd say he's top 15-20. 1 more championship or a back to back without Shaq and he's top 10 easy. NONE of the guys he'splaying with now are going to the hall of fame and alot of the legends had at least one playing alongside them.

Talbert

JapanAir21 wrote:
What the hell is with all you guys leaving off Kareem?

He's a top 3 Laker, easily, and one of the top 10 greatest ever.

MJ, Bird, Magic, Kobe, Dream, Wilt, Oscar, Duncan, Stockton, Russell.

That's 10 right now. Some might gawk at Stockton, but the man is the best little-man ever in the NBA.

I'd put Kobe up in the realm of MJ, Bird, Magic, Dream, and Wilt.

He'll end up somewhere in the middle of the top 10, but unless he gets 6 rings, I'm going to have a hard time putting him above Dream, Wilt, Bird, and Magic. Those guys are legends who cannot be trumped IMO.
This.

Its ppl thats gon hate and its ppl that are unintentially being blind!!

IMO...when Kobe won number 4...he moved to number 7....and Ill say this and stand by it KOBE BRYANT IS BETTER THAN LARRY BIRD...PERIOD...im just giving Birdthe respect he deserves

1 JORDAN
2 KAREEM
3 MAGIC
4 HAKEEM
5 BIRD
6 SHAQ
7 KOBE
8 RUSSELL
9 DUNCAN
10 WILT

Originally Posted by TCERDA

Originally Posted by eeibaby