ILLEGAL IMMIGRATION - What's your position NT?

Disclaimer: I'm Asian and a legal citizen of the United States.

So with the recent "coming out the closet" type situations among prominent figures regarding their illegal status here within the United States, where do you guys stand on this topic?

For those that don't follow the news:

Most Recently: Prominent Journalist Reveals His Illegal Status - http://www.npr.org/2011/0...tation-signs-point-to-no

Reintroduced to Congress: The DREAM (Development, Relief, and Education for Alien Minors) Act - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DREAM_Act

Under the 2009 version of the senate bill[14] DREAM Act beneficiaries must:
Have proof of having arrived in the United States before age 16.[15]
Have proof of residence in the United States for at least five consecutive years since their date of arrival.
Have registered with the Selective Service if male.
Be between the ages of 12 and 30 at the time of bill enactment.
Have graduated from an American high school, obtained a GED, or have been admitted to an institution of higher education.
Be of "good moral character"[16]
During the first six years, qualifying illegal immigrants would be granted "conditional" status and would be required to (a) graduate from a two-year community college or complete at least two years towards a four-year degree or (b) serve two years in the U.S. military. After this six year period, those who meet at least one of these three conditions would be eligible to apply for legal permanent resident status. During this six year conditional period, they would not be eligible for federal higher education grants such as Pell grants but they would be able to apply for student loans and work study.[17]
If they have met all of the conditions at the end of the 6-year conditional period, they would be granted permanent residency, which would eventually allow them to become U.S. citizens.[18]
It is not known how many of those were eligible go on to complete the further requirements. One organization estimated that only 7,000–13,000 college students nationally can fulfill the further obligations.[19] A different analysis found that over 2 million illegal aliens could benefit under the Act.[20]
The bill also restores the option for states to determine residency for purposes of higher education benefits by repealing Section 505 of the Illegal Immigration Reform and Immigrant Responsibility Act (IIRIRA) of 1996 (8 U.S.C. 1623).[14] The majority of states interpret this provision as disqualifying illegal immigrants students from certain higher education benefits such as in-state tuition rates.[21] Some states have enacted laws aimed at making unauthorized state residents eligible for in-state tuition rates without violating this IIRIRA provision.[22] However, some students paying out-of-state tuition have filed lawsuits in these states, claiming state education officials violated this federal law.[23]

^ Look at that last sentence... ILLEGAL IMMIGRANTS are suing in US COURTS because they believe states violated FEDERAL LAW.

*PLEASE CORRECT ME IF I'M WRONG IN ANY MANNER*

It is to my understanding that US laws, whether federal or state, are made to protect CITIZENS and for CITIZENS to abide by.

If someone maintains an illegal status within our country, how are they able to sue in our own US courts?

If I'm not mistaken, our LAWS and RIGHTS are extended to the citizens of our nation, NOT people that reside here illegally.

To those of us that are LEGAL US CITIZENS:

- How do you feel about illegal immigrants taking advantage of our Welfare, Medicaid, etc... programs?
Free dental, Free prescriptions, Free healthcare, Subsidized rent, etc... while many US households are left uninsured and are denied access to such things.

- How do you feel about illegal immigrants attending our schools and institutions of higher learning?
Think about it... for those colleges that have quotas, what if YOU (a legal US citizen) were denied admittance to a school of your choice because an illegal immigrant took your spot?

- How do you feel about illegal immigrants QUALIFYING for in-state tuition?
If you're paying out-of-state tuition as a legal US citizen, is it right for an illegal immigrant to pay in-state tuition let alone that they're here in the first place?

AND THAT's NOT EVEN SCRATCHING THE SURFACE... The list of questions can go ON & ON...

Please share your opinions NT...

Honestly, I don't even know why I bother paying taxes when illegal immigrants are reaping it in.

grin.gif

Disclaimer: I'm Asian and a legal citizen of the United States.

So with the recent "coming out the closet" type situations among prominent figures regarding their illegal status here within the United States, where do you guys stand on this topic?

For those that don't follow the news:

Most Recently: Prominent Journalist Reveals His Illegal Status - http://www.npr.org/2011/0...tation-signs-point-to-no

Reintroduced to Congress: The DREAM (Development, Relief, and Education for Alien Minors) Act - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DREAM_Act

Under the 2009 version of the senate bill[14] DREAM Act beneficiaries must:
Have proof of having arrived in the United States before age 16.[15]
Have proof of residence in the United States for at least five consecutive years since their date of arrival.
Have registered with the Selective Service if male.
Be between the ages of 12 and 30 at the time of bill enactment.
Have graduated from an American high school, obtained a GED, or have been admitted to an institution of higher education.
Be of "good moral character"[16]
During the first six years, qualifying illegal immigrants would be granted "conditional" status and would be required to (a) graduate from a two-year community college or complete at least two years towards a four-year degree or (b) serve two years in the U.S. military. After this six year period, those who meet at least one of these three conditions would be eligible to apply for legal permanent resident status. During this six year conditional period, they would not be eligible for federal higher education grants such as Pell grants but they would be able to apply for student loans and work study.[17]
If they have met all of the conditions at the end of the 6-year conditional period, they would be granted permanent residency, which would eventually allow them to become U.S. citizens.[18]
It is not known how many of those were eligible go on to complete the further requirements. One organization estimated that only 7,000–13,000 college students nationally can fulfill the further obligations.[19] A different analysis found that over 2 million illegal aliens could benefit under the Act.[20]
The bill also restores the option for states to determine residency for purposes of higher education benefits by repealing Section 505 of the Illegal Immigration Reform and Immigrant Responsibility Act (IIRIRA) of 1996 (8 U.S.C. 1623).[14] The majority of states interpret this provision as disqualifying illegal immigrants students from certain higher education benefits such as in-state tuition rates.[21] Some states have enacted laws aimed at making unauthorized state residents eligible for in-state tuition rates without violating this IIRIRA provision.[22] However, some students paying out-of-state tuition have filed lawsuits in these states, claiming state education officials violated this federal law.[23]

^ Look at that last sentence... ILLEGAL IMMIGRANTS are suing in US COURTS because they believe states violated FEDERAL LAW.

*PLEASE CORRECT ME IF I'M WRONG IN ANY MANNER*

It is to my understanding that US laws, whether federal or state, are made to protect CITIZENS and for CITIZENS to abide by.

If someone maintains an illegal status within our country, how are they able to sue in our own US courts?

If I'm not mistaken, our LAWS and RIGHTS are extended to the citizens of our nation, NOT people that reside here illegally.

To those of us that are LEGAL US CITIZENS:

- How do you feel about illegal immigrants taking advantage of our Welfare, Medicaid, etc... programs?
Free dental, Free prescriptions, Free healthcare, Subsidized rent, etc... while many US households are left uninsured and are denied access to such things.

- How do you feel about illegal immigrants attending our schools and institutions of higher learning?
Think about it... for those colleges that have quotas, what if YOU (a legal US citizen) were denied admittance to a school of your choice because an illegal immigrant took your spot?

- How do you feel about illegal immigrants QUALIFYING for in-state tuition?
If you're paying out-of-state tuition as a legal US citizen, is it right for an illegal immigrant to pay in-state tuition let alone that they're here in the first place?

AND THAT's NOT EVEN SCRATCHING THE SURFACE... The list of questions can go ON & ON...

Please share your opinions NT...

Honestly, I don't even know why I bother paying taxes when illegal immigrants are reaping it in.

grin.gif

Let em cook, da US was built with da blood, sweat, & tears of slaves,

Native americans, & immigrants...or did u forget we're on stolen land?

well, theres limitations on what illegal immigrants can do. I guess it's fair in a way

well, theres limitations on what illegal immigrants can do. I guess it's fair in a way

I feel like if I were them then I would do the same thing. How do I feel about them using taxpayer money for the betterment of their lives? I feel better about them using it than criminals and drug addicts who apparently have the right to use it as they were lucky enough to be born in this country.

I feel like if I were them then I would do the same thing. How do I feel about them using taxpayer money for the betterment of their lives? I feel better about them using it than criminals and drug addicts who apparently have the right to use it as they were lucky enough to be born in this country.

well seein how the rightful owners of this country are almost extinct, i say the land is up for grabs. What happene to America being a free land? A melting pot?

well seein how the rightful owners of this country are almost extinct, i say the land is up for grabs. What happene to America being a free land? A melting pot?

Originally Posted by ninjahood

basically.

basically.

Originally Posted by SonOfTony

basically.

Can you image if the Native Americans had immigration laws?!
nerd.gif

Originally Posted by SonOfTony

basically.

Can you image if the Native Americans had immigration laws?!
nerd.gif

Im all for immigration as long as they do it the right way.

Im all for immigration as long as they do it the right way.

preach

Back
Top Bottom