I'm finna start these dreads up...

I'm just assuming this is the closest thing to an official dreadlock hair thread..
Been locked up for about 3.5 years on/off.. This is my 3rd set, I've had these for 2.5 years.

The 1st time i locked up the sizing was off, some small ones then some random of areas with bigger ones.
2nd set was all too big, this set I'm good with.

View media item 1402490

Every two weeks?

Every month?

I just can't do it. Can't wait till my hair grows. My **** wavy right nao. When first starting out, freeform beats out any other way of starting dreads. People just stop separating them and turn into Abel or Gunplay.

Last edited:
I'm just assuming this is the closest thing to an official dreadlock hair thread..
Been locked up for about 3.5 years on/off.. This is my 3rd set, I've had these for 2.5 years.

The 1st time i locked up the sizing was off, some small ones then some random of areas with bigger ones.
2nd set was all too big, this set I'm good with.

View media item 1402490
howdidyourestart?

Did you cut them all off?

My sizing is terrible and the parting is :x

howdidyourestart?

Did you cut them all off?

My sizing is terrible and the parting is :x

Nah, my last haircut was just a lil bit over 4 years ago, December 21,2010.

The first set I had in for about 7 months-ish...I didnt crochet/interlock it at that point. You CAN comb out dreads if they havent been interlocked,it's just a hassle.

I was debating combing it out, or just keeping that set and rocking with it as long as I planned to have dreads, which was a long time. I couldn't keep this set knowing that I didn't really like it all that much, so I decided to try combing out my dreads that were almost pretty much fully locked at that point.

**** took me 2 days b. A whole lot of hot water and about 3 broken combs & once you start,, you can't really stop.

The 2nd set I had in for about 3/4 months-ish. The lady that started that set did actually interlock it, it wasn't really that locked, so I just combed it out.

Bump.

Just from reading this thread its easy to see that ppl think tooooo much when it comes to locs. Just let your hair do its thing. Waking up every morning and measuring your hair and mad that its imperfect is frustrating.

No matter if you have a 10 in afro when you get your hair twisted they're still considered "twists" they can unravel with just washing. Those twists eventually turn into "locs" within 9-12 months depending on your hair.

Tbh, I know the nappy fade is still in style so if you want dreads And have that nappy fade You should grow out the sides and back for a good 5-6 months and get twisted. Since your top hair will already be locing your twists will look alot better.

I just got twisted up this march and my last haircut was in oct 2014. I had a nappy fade and all I was waiting for was for my sides to grow. My hair is 80% loc'd and already touch my my earhole. And its only been 5 months.

If I didnt cut my locs off in 2012 they would have been about 4 yrs old now smh. And its crazy, my loc's grew

14iiyr5.jpg

8 years gone. My head feels crazy, now I'm growing the notty fro.
Looking back on this pic I still remember the day the barber cut those first couple off. Still don't regret cutting them, I want my lady to lock hers up.

Ain't nothing better then a woman with locks to me.

Been a month and a half and this stage is the worst :x

Yo, that stage is the worst. Just keep a wave cap or du-rag on. Or one of your Supreme caps when you go out. I didn't start washing my hair until 6 months in. I would just SeaBreeze them alot. I'm still a newbie though. 1 year and two months in. Even now, the thinnest and smallest locks in the back unraveled (some) so the loctician combined them for more strength.

*DEAD*

My 1-year locversary is tomorrow :smokin

For you all just starting, don't be afraid to wash if necessary, heathy scalp = healthy hair. I also found in my experience that water was one of the best things to speed up that initial locking process.

Last edited:
Been a month and a half and this stage is the worst :x

This is one of the most exaggerated things about starting locs :lol:

It's nowhere near as bad as people make it seem I think it's more of an expectation of how a person wants their hair too look and comparing it to others.

No exaggeration over here.

No big expectations either after less than 2 months.

However, walkin around with these skimp starter locs is not :pimp: at all.

Imma get through, i'm just sayin.

I'm 8 months into my hair growth; haven't gotten a hair cut since early December. (I get shaped up on the regular)

When is a good time to start twisting? Every time this Jamaican lady in my office sees me she asks when I'm gonna twist my head up. It makes me worried that my hair is looking too wild long right now, but I do take care of it.

I just don't want to go through that early ugly short dread phase if I don't have to

Last edited:
No exaggeration over here.

No big expectations either after less than 2 months.

However, walkin around with these skimp starter locs is not :pimp: at all.

Imma get through, i'm just sayin.
That first year is a struggle.

Also a piece of knowledge when you starting getting length do not get your hair twisted often. The more often the more they will start to thin out. And that's not a good look.

Back
Top Bottom