I'M LOOKING TO BECOME A MIDDLE SCHOOL MATH TEACHER...

I am a middle school math teacher at a school in Philly.  It's the hardest thing I will ever do (and I'm 24).  My official hours are 745 - 345 but I get there at 630a and leave at 630p almost everyday.  When I get home, I eat, hit the gym, and do more work.  There is an insane amount of prepping, paperwork, and stress associated with the job.  Middle school is absolutely crazy on a daily basis but if you can teach middle school, you can teach anything.  If you're ready for tons of work, very little gratification, and decent pay, try it out.  The 2 months off in the summer idea is somewhat untrue.  Many teachers, especially in cities, teach summer school and lose a good portion of the break.

Jobs are tough to get, your best bet might be sticking with civil engineering (I was an eng'g major) and applying to an alternate route program (TFA or Fellows) where they pretty much guarantee you a job. 

If you have specific questions, I'll answer them as best as possible.

I am in my third year as a teacher..I taught GED for two years to adult students (21+) and now I am a middle school Social Studies teacher in an NYC public school. Let me tell you right now, try to not get a position in the middle school, especially with urban youth. The students show no respect, they don't care about their academics (some do, others think they can pass just by not doing anything)..granted I love being a teacher, but this will be my only year in an NYC public school..the principal that I work for is unbearable..she belittles people and she thinks she knows it all..I am definitely lookin to find a new position for next fall, hopefully something will pop up but if not I am going to leave and finish my masters in Special Education (which is the classroom that I want to be in for the rest of my career: ideally in a Social Studies Special Education classroom for 9-12)

If you love working with kids..then this is the career for you..but be prepared for an insane amount of work..no summers off..and stress..

Originally Posted by CWrite78

cant wait to see your first sex scandal!

laugh.gif
indifferent.gif

Originally Posted by vq35dett

I am a middle school math teacher at a school in Philly.  It's the hardest thing I will ever do (and I'm 24).  My official hours are 745 - 345 but I get there at 630a and leave at 630p almost everyday.  When I get home, I eat, hit the gym, and do more work.  There is an insane amount of prepping, paperwork, and stress associated with the job.  Middle school is absolutely crazy on a daily basis but if you can teach middle school, you can teach anything.  If you're ready for tons of work, very little gratification, and decent pay, try it out.  The 2 months off in the summer idea is somewhat untrue.  Many teachers, especially in cities, teach summer school and lose a good portion of the break.

Jobs are tough to get, your best bet might be sticking with civil engineering (I was an eng'g major) and applying to an alternate route program (TFA or Fellows) where they pretty much guarantee you a job. 

If you have specific questions, I'll answer them as best as possible.

What's an alternate route program?

Middle school students are +!@%+. They act like they know everything and their hormones are rage mode. Could you handle that?

Originally Posted by GUTTA BOB

Originally Posted by Essential1

Originally Posted by GUTTA BOB

might as well work at mcdonalds since you're going to be making the same amount of $$$

not true actually...  teachers who are officially tenured (depending on the state. I live in NY so they get paid more than most other states) are making $50-60K.

tenure = 10 years.  research teachers that are on welfare.. gluck with your foodstamp goals in 2012.
Even before tenure you still get a raise every year... I have actually researched.. Searched every teacher in my area especially in my desired subject... Even those who are not tenured and begin in 2005 were making 40,000 by 2008 and getting a raise every year... In comparison to many of my brother's friends and people who graduated around his time in 07 are still making $30-40K, $50K if they are extremely lucky.

Also the more you teach the more your paycheck goes up teachers that are in their 25th year+  can get to $80K.

Also I am currently working part time with a woman who is a retired elementary school teacher (works part time because she is divorced and her daughter lives in NYC) makes $60K a year in pension... Worked 38 years as a teacher, but there are very few places giving that..

While there are teachers who struggle.. And are paid like !!$@, I am seriously not doubting it, I know you are correct, especially in the South it is true.. In my area the pay is actually pretty good.

be prepared to do an insane amount of work during your bachelor of education, and an even more insane amount of work planning lessons once you get a job. for the first few years it is going to take you about 12 hours a day to get through everything. it is not all that fun.

Originally Posted by JT AIR JT

Originally Posted by vq35dett

What's an alternate route program?

here in TN they have fellowships, which basically means they want to hire un traditional students, aka people without a education degree and then later get you certified up. . since you are so heavy into math you should at least minor in it. stick with CE and some school will work with you. 

An alternate route program is something like Teach for America (TFA) or the Teaching Fellows. Teach for America is for new grads with little/no education coursework who commit to working in some of the highest-needs schools across the country, both urban and rural. It is EXTREMELY competitive and training is absurd. The Teaching Fellows (TF) is essentially individual programs in districts across the country and is heavily tied to Teach for America. The Fellows programs are managed by The New Teacher Project which was founded by Michelle Rhee years ago after her stint in TFA and before her time in DC. The difference between TFA and TF is that Fellows is more open to career changers and, in general, is easier to get into.

Both TFA and TF have partnerships with universities so that you can at least get your certification and, in many cases, a masters degree in education.

The ironic thing is that you have to work incredibly hard to get into these programs only to get placed at some of the worst schools in the country.

Middle schoolers these days are really annoying, at least where I live. If you become a teacher, be prepared to see them quickly texting on their phones and then sliding them into their Uggs when you call them out.
roll.gif

Originally Posted by ar916

I'm trying to pursue secondary education (9-12) here in NY it's hard out here for jobs, hopefully things change around here

Won't happen until the economy is normal.. Normal economy = more money in the budget.. More money in the budget more teachers will be hired..

Won't be for a couple years.. But when it happens there will be a HUGE boom in the job..

I taught 7th grade math last year and that #!$% sucked. 7th graders are the most evil, misbehaved children on this planet. If you want to teach middle school math I suggest you teach 6th grade math. 6th graders are not nearly as evil

My mom worked 31 years in education, mostly in the administration side. However, she has told me of all the years she worked she enjoyed the years she work at a school the most.

Originally Posted by dmxgod

I am in my third year as a teacher..I taught GED for two years to adult students (21+) and now I am a middle school Social Studies teacher in an NYC public school. Let me tell you right now, try to not get a position in the middle school, especially with urban youth. The students show no respect, they don't care about their academics (some do, others think they can pass just by not doing anything)..granted I love being a teacher, but this will be my only year in an NYC public school..the principal that I work for is unbearable..she belittles people and she thinks she knows it all..I am definitely lookin to find a new position for next fall, hopefully something will pop up but if not I am going to leave and finish my masters in Special Education (which is the classroom that I want to be in for the rest of my career: ideally in a Social Studies Special Education classroom for 9-12)

If you love working with kids..then this is the career for you..but be prepared for an insane amount of work..no summers off..and stress..

Similar story for myself. I have my bachelors in Communications, did a teacher certification program and now have my masters in Special Education.

I work with High School setting, I love what I do.  It's all about getting the right fit school wise, as far as admin and staff go.

Back
Top Bottom