In Heroin Crisis, White Families Seek Gentler War on Drugs

It's not too many black ppl ******* with the dog food these days so of course this is happening, they looking to help the users but trust they'll still throw the book at the dealers

lobotomybeats lobotomybeats Addiction isn't new.

It's only affecting (and killing) a new demographic. That's the only reason the nation views it differently than before.

I'd consider it a welcome change if we applied this trend to black people who are currently punished for their "addiction."

Last edited:
This reminded me of the movie Crash where Michael Douglas was some high ranking US official an his daughter was an addict. I'd chance a bet that cases like that don't exist solely in Hollywood films. The war on drugs essentially condemned addicts. But when those people in power who pointed the finger started to see the affects of addiction firsthand with their family members falling victim to it, the rhetoric changed. Suddenly these people need to be helped, rather than taught a lesson. The poster children of this shift absolutely matters.

But will the benefits trickle down to the low income neighborhoods or is the problems w/ addiction in those areas different somehow?

lobotomybeats lobotomybeats Addiction isn't new.

It's only affecting (and killing) a new demographic. That's the only reason the nation views it differently than before.

I'd consider it a welcome change if we applied this trend to black people who are currently punished for their "addiction."

I agree with you for the most part. I don't think "the only reason" our views have changed is because it's affecting a different demographic. White addiction has been around forever too. Maybe it's because the drugs have changed too.

Im more shocked that you guys are suprised by this.

Yall really think someone in the ghetto came up with a formula for crack and/or heroin??

You can point to the whiteness and blackness of the differing approaches on the War on Drugs all you want. What's not really discussed is that the nation as a whole has a different view of addiction. This change is welcome. It's unfortunate that it didn't happen earlier, but the climate has changed a lot. Addicts aren't viewed the same as they once were. Maybe it's because more are white now, I don't know. Maybe it's because so many of the drugs abused are prescription. Maybe it's because there are reality TV shows focused on helping people get help instead of imprisoning them. I don't know, but this is a welcome change regardless of who the poster children are.

:lol: :lol:

It has to do with the demographic mostly affected. This just speaks to the seemingly inherent racism/prejudice that is ingrained in the DNA of this country. Heroin is outchea doing work meth is literally melting peoples face off in the southwest but we don't hear about it. Keep in mind this is happening in the same place that said marijuana made blacks crazed word to reefer madness.

I'm sleep tho

This reminded me of the movie Crash where Michael Douglas was some high ranking US official an his daughter was an addict. I'd chance a bet that cases like that don't exist solely in Hollywood films. The war on drugs essentially condemned addicts. But when those people in power who pointed the finger started to see the affects of addiction firsthand with their family members falling victim to it, the rhetoric changed. Suddenly these people need to be helped, rather than taught a lesson. The poster children of this shift absolutely matters.

Read the article bruh. Jeb Bush's daughter is a real life crackhead. :lol:

People having their lives ruined by drugs is incredibly sad, but media's narrative of this story is hilarious! Really saw a quote saying "We shouldn't be throwing white kids in jail just to show that we're being fair." Meanwhile some of those same people were voting to make drug testing mandatory for welfare recipients. :rofl:

Last edited:
Alcohol & Drug addiction is only treatable if someone "WANTS" to stop,

Everyone wants the Quick fix these days both with their Drugs, and their Sobriety....

Alcohol or Drugs don't care if you're Black / White / Brown...... they don't care if you got a DUI or a PHD because they're....... innanimate objects...... People give too much power to Drugs / Alcohol and never look at the real problem.....................................................

THEMSELVES

Last edited:
Was just talkin to my boy about going into the rich predominantly white area of town and makin BANK off of selling heroin out there...
Not even their land which is the worst part. Def contemplating selling heroin for a couple months to the rich white yuppies in Buckhead. Their communities will still be standing and they get free treatment as opposed to 20 years of jail time and broken homes...

......wyd?

Last edited:
White power smh

Their land, their rules.

Marcus Garvey was right

Not even their land which is the worst part. Def contemplating selling heroin for a couple months to the rich white yuppies in Buckhead. Their communities will still be standing and they get free treatment as opposed to 20 years of jail time and broken homes...
Problem is you don't wanna get caught selling dope, the book WILL be thrown at you even for a 1st offense and especially selling in an area like that

Alcohol & Drug addiction is only treatable if someone "WANTS" to stop,

Everyone wants the Quick fix these days both with their Drugs, and their Sobriety....

Alcohol or Drugs don't care if you're Black / White / Brown...... they don't care if you got a DUI or a PHD because they're....... innanimate objects...... People give too much power to Drugs / Alcohol and never look at the real problem.....................................................

THEMSELVES

We know this but you're missing the point.
America's solution to addiction has always been mass incarceration of black people. They've taken a public health issue and have criminalized it.
It hasn't been a viable solution and yet we take an addicted person (user or dealer) and put them in jail as if that gives them a better opportunity to succeed, recover or start families.

We've taken an addict and given them a new set of problems. Obviously, rehab has a better chance of getting a person back on track.

You can point to the whiteness and blackness of the differing approaches on the War on Drugs all you want. What's not really discussed is that the nation as a whole has a different view of addiction. This change is welcome. It's unfortunate that it didn't happen earlier, but the climate has changed a lot. Addicts aren't viewed the same as they once were. Maybe it's because more are white now, I don't know. Maybe it's because so many of the drugs abused are prescription. Maybe it's because there are reality TV shows focused on helping people get help instead of imprisoning them. I don't know, but this is a welcome change regardless of who the poster children are.

It's great and all but like you said it's unfortunate that it took this long. The reason we are scoffing and sarcastically laughing at this is because black communities have been suffering with addiction and all they did was throw us in jail for maximum sentences. Why didn't the change happen then?

We are second rate citizens in this country and this is one good example that shows that. They didn't care until addiction of heroin hit the white community. Black families have been ripped apart because of crack addiction and they never cared. Like homie said, this country is not built for us.

Last edited:
Heroin and pill abuse has been bad since the early to mid 2000s though as far as this heroin phase goes. I agree there's a clear biased on when the reform actually got put into action but I'm happy it is.

It still isn't perfect, it just depends where you live. My cousin got thrown in jail for 6 months for using after getting caught in FL. Here in NYC (where the heroin problem sky-rocketed after oxys became hard to get) you'll get sent to treatment probably a few times before seeing any jail. Unless youre robbing people or something.

Bingo!

“Because the demographic of people affected are more white, more middle class, these are parents who are empowered,” said Michael Botticelli, director of the White House Office of National Drug Control Policy, better known as the nation’s drug czar. “They know how to call a legislator, they know how to get angry with their insurance company, they know how to advocate. They have been so instrumental in changing the conversation.”
Their efforts also include lobbying statehouses, holding rallies and starting nonprofit organizations, making these mothers and fathers part of a growing backlash against the harsh tactics of traditional drug enforcement. These days, in rare bipartisan or even nonpartisan agreement, punishment is out and compassion is in.

Give or take the percentage of low income citizens knowing their State Congressman or local Representative?

......wyd?

Talkin out the side of my head, I'm just angry fam. Like why does it have to be like this? All because our skin contains melanin? **** hurts...

Problem is you don't wanna get caught selling dope, the book WILL be thrown at you even for a 1st offense and especially selling in an area like that

I just need a little clientele and sell for about 4 months and I'd be out the game. Those yuppies out there will pay top dollar for some dope cause they often don't know where to get it. My conscience won't even peep once I see them drive off in their 7 series.

Last edited:
Vote Bernie 2016 and vote a Democratic Congress for 2018. If not, more of the same.....

Money and voting power runs politics and as long as white people control most of the money in America and have more voting power, the issues that are important to them will control the way America moves.

Either way, this is a welcomed change. We need to end the war on drugs. Crazy dumb.

Last edited:
From 2013
BOOM!

Do not get caught selling that ****!

You going under the jail 
mean.gif

Talkin out the side of my head, I'm just angry fam. Like why does it have to be like this? All because our skin contains melanin? **** hurts...

I just need a little clientele and sell for about 4 months and I'd be out the game. Those yuppies out there will pay top dollar for some dope cause they often don't know where to get it. My conscience won't even peep once I see them drive off in their 7 series.
that aint cool or funny

Back
Top Bottom