In honor of SF Giants... I'm reposting a video from last World Series. "that's weed! that's weed!".

Status
Not open for further replies.
:lol:

Look at you. I'm glad having KNBR in your pocket makes you happy, it must be comforting. I'd just like to point out that before the Giants moved into Pac Bell Park, they were drawing about the same as the A's are in the Coliseum.
http://www.baseball-almanac.com/teams/athlatte.shtml
http://www.baseball-almanac.com/teams/sfatte.shtml

So this talk about the Giants always being more popular than the A's doesn't seem to hold water once you realize that what has driven the high attendance is the new stadium, does it? I guess all that insular radio talk on KNBR helps keep the illusion alive. But this idea that San Francisco is the hands down alpha baseball city in the Bay Area is only true if you mean everything off the field. And if that's you, that's okay. I'm more concerned with winning on the field, but that's just me.

But let me be clear: I wish the A's would have sellouts as often as the Giants do. Maybe once we get that stadium in San Jose we can capture those fairweather fans that the Giants are scared stiff about losing.

it's not just knbr. it's playing in san francisco which is not even comparable to oakland, it's having a better stadium DESPITE the a's being the more successful team. does that register in your skull at all? which team 'deserved' a new stadium more? the one with 4 titles in the bay area or the one with none til 2010? DESPITE their success the a's are STILL the 2nd class citizen in the bay area :kanyeshrug:. a's even have a movie made about their gm and they still get no shine =(
and your stadium attendance stats does nothing to strengthen your position if the giants sucked so bad in the candlestick era and the A's were so successful, how's a "sucky" team drawing equal numbers to a more successful team? 

and lol@ hoping to get a stadium built in SAN JOSE... looks like you've been an A's fan as long as the bernie lean's been around. first time i hear an A's "fan" actually want the team to leave Oakland and support that turd Lew Wolff's relocation idea. 
a's should stay in oakland. lol @ "san jose A's" for fcks sake. 

I'm not going to address which team "deserves" a new stadium. Nobody deserves anything: you work hard for it and you hope to earn it. The Giants ownership group worked with SF officials to find a place inside the City and succeeded. The A's ownership group tried multiple times to change their venue inside Oakland and the City consistently demonstrated its unwillingness and incompetence to do so. And I don't deny that San Francisco is the more desirable location to be in the Bay Area, that's beyond obvious. My point is that the simple fact of residing in San Francisco doesn't make the teams any better on the field than the Oakland teams in any way. Marketability, I'll give them that. But as I've said, I've no concern for how appealing the team is to other people. All I care about are wins.

and your stadium attendance stats does nothing to strengthen your position if the giants sucked so bad in the candlestick era and the A's were so successful, how's a "sucky" team drawing equal numbers to a more successful team?

Look at the numbers again. The A's from '88-'92 drew well above the AL average the majority of those seasons. In the same timeframe, the Giants were drawing below the NL average, even during the '89 Series trip.

What's the deal here? Simple: the Coliseum at this time wasn't the albatross that it is today. The Raiders were in Los Angeles and the Coliseum was considered one of the better parks in the country. Angels in the Outfield was even partly filmed in the Coliseum. It was a desirable location then and it served the A's well. Candlestick was always been a terrible park for baseball: multi-purpose facility, cold as hell, foggy, stuck in unwelcoming South San Francisco. After the A's stopped doing well, their attendance dropped considerably. Then the Raiders returned and had Mt. Davis built and took away the view of the Oakland hills. Then the Giants were able to negotiate a move into the heart of San Francisco with a beautiful stadium. It becomes clear here where the trendy place for watching baseball would be. And the attendance figures support all of this.

and lol@ hoping to get a stadium built in SAN JOSE... looks like you've been an A's fan as long as the bernie lean's been around. first time i hear an A's "fan" actually want the team to leave Oakland and support that turd Lew Wolff's relocation idea. 
a's should stay in oakland. lol @ "san jose A's" for fcks sake. 

I want what's best for my team. I don't believe the A's will get what they want in Oakland. I want them to move to San Jose to maximize their profit potential to increase payroll and keep the team competitive, instead of cycling between competing and rebuilding. This kind of thinking on your part makes me think that you're more concerned with the image of your fandom rather the process of being a fan. All this posturing on your part is actually pretty funny.

Anyway, I hope you enjoyed this learning experience.

roll.gif
 @ san jose being a better city for the a's. 

i bet you were on board when they wanted to move the team to fremont too smh

A's in oakland with access to BART and 880 >>>> any stadium plans in the south bay, where there is no BART access and no close proximity to freeways like 880 in oakland. . the reason the A's don't sell out in Oakland is because A's FANS don't want to support this dirtbag Wolff who since buying the team has alienated fans with non stop talks of taking the team out of Oakland where the team has experienced success. he is the baseball version of what chris cohan was to the warriors. 

attendance records are virtually the same. and its funny you mention 89-92, the peak of A's baseball here in the last 30 years. 
what happened after that?

1992 they were 5th in attendance, 1993 20th

1994 23rd place

1995 20th

a year after being in the ALCS, and 3 years after a world series appearance they sink to 20th in attendance? 

the giants despite losing in 89 and not winning another NL title out drew the a's in garbageass candlestick from 93 onward and have since 2000 when pac bell park was built. 

but bay area fans in general arent die hard fans like that, there are a lot of fairweather fans for both teams and the 20,000 or so that are scattered thru out the oakland coliseum are proof of that. 

but more importantly, and back to my original point, the A's garner no ill will from me whatsoever, the same can't be said about what the Giants do to your feelings and that of most oakland a's fans. a lot of saltiness on the part of A's fans, while myself like most Giants fans are either completely indifferent or actually want to see them succeed. 

but please tell me more about how "satisfied" you are about the last time you enjoyed an a's world series title 23 years ago and tell me about which one you liked more, 1973 or 1972. i've only been alive for 1 a's and 1 giants WS title, so what happened 30 years before i was born means nothing to me :smile:

:rofl:  @ san jose being a better city for the a's. 

i bet you were on board when they wanted to move the team to fremont too smh
A's in oakland with access to BART and 880 >>>> any stadium plans in the south bay, where there is no BART access and no close proximity to freeways like 880 in oakland. . the reason the A's don't sell out in Oakland is because A's FANS don't want to support this dirtbag Wolff who since buying the team has alienated fans with non stop talks of taking the team out of Oakland where the team has experienced success. he is the baseball version of what chris cohan was to the warriors. 

attendance records are virtually the same. and its funny you mention 89-92, the peak of A's baseball here in the last 30 years. 

what happened after that?
1992 they were 5th in attendance, 1993 20th
1994 23rd place
1995 20th

a year after being in the ALCS, and 3 years after a world series appearance they sink to 20th in attendance? 
the giants despite losing in 89 and not winning another NL title out drew the a's in garbageass candlestick from 93 onward and have since 2000 when pac bell park was built. 
but bay area fans in general arent die hard fans like that, there are a lot of fairweather fans for both teams and the 20,000 or so that are scattered thru out the oakland coliseum are proof of that. 

but more importantly, and back to my original point, the A's garner no ill will from me whatsoever, the same can't be said about what the Giants do to your feelings and that of most oakland a's fans. a lot of saltiness on the part of A's fans, while myself like most Giants fans are either completely indifferent or actually want to see them succeed. 

but please tell me more about how "satisfied" you are about the last time you enjoyed an a's world series title 23 years ago and tell me about which one you liked more, 1973 or 1972. i've only been alive for 1 a's and 1 giants WS title, so what happened 30 years before i was born means nothing to me :smile:

A's in oakland with access to BART and 880 >>>> any stadium plans in the south bay, where there is no BART access and no close proximity to freeways like 880 in oakland.

The A's want to move next to Diridon Station and HP Pavilion, corner of Montgomery and Park Ave. The area has demonstrated it's ability to support the Sharks consistently with sellouts. The A's would certainly do very well attendance wise moving there, especially since Cisco Field is expected to house ~32,000 seats, putting it among the smallest parks in the league. We also can't forget the BART extension being built for San Jose that would be around in time for Cisco Field to be ready for its inaugural season.

the reason the A's don't sell out in Oakland is because A's FANS don't want to support this dirtbag Wolff who since buying the team has alienated fans with non stop talks of taking the team out of Oakland where the team has experienced success.

This may or may not be true, but unless you have a way to prove this empirically then it's a moot point. Show your work.

attendance records are virtually the same.

When? Where? You don't get to dismiss the truth with something as weak as that. First, let's not forget how awful the attendance was leading up to the '92 season, when the Giants had one foot out the door headed to Florida, only to be helped out by the kindness of A's owner Walter Haas, Jr. in granting the Giants the rights to Santa Clara County to give them the option to move there if they saw fit (and you question why A's fans would have a grudge against Giants management? Sounds like you don't know much about history). Only one season, 1993, which happened to be the last pure pennant race between the Giants and the Braves, saw the Giants attendance flirt with the league average. Every other year? Below and far below. And that's with the star power of Bonds and popular players such as Will Clark, JT Snow and Matt Williams.

And why did the A's attendance drop? Because they suddenly weren't competing anymore after trading and letting players walk. Surprise, surprise. Is this an anomaly particular to East Bay fans or a truth about attendance when teams demonstrate their indifference for competing? I'll let you answer that and we'll see how balanced you are. Let's just be clear about the fact that neither team was particularly popular in the area at this time.

This, more than anything else, is what gets me about SF fans. Quick to declare yourselves the marquee franchise in the area without the pedigree to back it up. Obnoxious about being known as the franchise in the area when most of your "fans" were happily sitting at home while the team languished for years. Does this mean that East Bay fans are better? No, but they sure as hell aren't worse. The truth is, SF fans disguise their contempt for the East Bay with this pathetic sense of superiority simply because they claim San Francisco and pull the patented Carmelo backpedal when East Bay fans respond. "I don't get it, why are they so upset!?!" No, it's not just them, it's y'all, too. And you've made it clear that you aren't indifferent to the A's and the fanbase given the kind of language you've used to distinguish the Giants and A's from each other. Again, pathetic.

First, I don't think I used the word "satisfied," so I don't know why you're putting the word in quotations. Maybe you should learn how that trick works. Secondly, don't forget about '74, we won that one too. And finally, it makes me very happy to know that the A's have demonstrated their championship caliber over the course of decades, whereas the Giants have only learned how to do this recently. It definitely seemed to upset the Giants fans that I know how futile their franchise had been up to 2010. I guess sometimes it takes time for little brother to figure out how big brother gets things done.

that new pauley pavilion :wow: it'll be a shame if shabazz and KA cant put that court to use :smh:

Yeah man, I'm really hoping they can both be cleared. I've heard for a while now that Kyle should be in the clear, and that it's Shabazz's eligibility that's the real question mark. I'm hoping at most that Shabazz will have to be banned from a few games in the beginning of the season and then be cleared to go from there.

Take it to the Sports Forum ...

But if the A's moved to SJ I'd still be a Giants fan.

The A's playing in SJ would just be weird tbh ..

It's really hilarious just how often you repeat how A's fans are so malevolent towards the Giants and have such a complex.

and then you bring up posturing. :lol:

I just wanted a all bay series, that **** would have been bananas, no matter who would have won the celebrations would be the ****

Truth being told by Th3RealF0lkBlu3s. A's were drawing in fans when they were one of the best in baseball, while the Giants had poor attendance and they were the "red headed step child" and now its reversed. But you cant deny that the stadium and Bonds helped revive the SF franchise. They were moving to Tampa Bay for god's sake. A major league team in a big market city like SF moving to freaking tampa bay. A's will be fine just as long as they move to SJ and away from chitty *** Oak (A move I would approve btw). Oak has no corporate sponsorship which is a major reason the Giants are doing good.

Last edited:
The A's want to move next to Diridon Station and HP Pavilion, corner of Montgomery and Park Ave. The area has demonstrated it's ability to support the Sharks consistently with sellouts. The A's would certainly do very well attendance wise moving there, especially since Cisco Field is expected to house ~32,000 seats, putting it among the smallest parks in the league. We also can't forget the BART extension being built for San Jose that would be around in time for Cisco Field to be ready for its inaugural season.
This may or may not be true, but unless you have a way to prove this empirically then it's a moot point. Show your work.
When? Where? You don't get to dismiss the truth with something as weak as that. First, let's not forget how awful the attendance was leading up to the '92 season, when the Giants had one foot out the door headed to Florida, only to be helped out by the kindness of A's owner Walter Haas, Jr. in granting the Giants the rights to Santa Clara County to give them the option to move there if they saw fit (and you question why A's fans would have a grudge against Giants management? Sounds like you don't know much about history). Only one season, 1993, which happened to be the last pure pennant race between the Giants and the Braves, saw the Giants attendance flirt with the league average. Every other year? Below and far below. And that's with the star power of Bonds and popular players such as Will Clark, JT Snow and Matt Williams.
And why did the A's attendance drop? Because they suddenly weren't competing anymore after trading and letting players walk. Surprise, surprise. Is this an anomaly particular to East Bay fans or a truth about attendance when teams demonstrate their indifference for competing? I'll let you answer that and we'll see how balanced you are. Let's just be clear about the fact that neither team was particularly popular in the area at this time.
This, more than anything else, is what gets me about SF fans. Quick to declare yourselves the marquee franchise in the area without the pedigree to back it up. Obnoxious about being known as the franchise in the area when most of your "fans" were happily sitting at home while the team languished for years. Does this mean that East Bay fans are better? No, but they sure as hell aren't worse. The truth is, SF fans disguise their contempt for the East Bay with this pathetic sense of superiority simply because they claim San Francisco and pull the patented Carmelo backpedal when East Bay fans respond. "I don't get it, why are they so upset!?!" No, it's not just them, it's y'all, too. And you've made it clear that you aren't indifferent to the A's and the fanbase given the kind of language you've used to distinguish the Giants and A's from each other. Again, pathetic.
First, I don't think I used the word "satisfied," so I don't know why you're putting the word in quotations. Maybe you should learn how that trick works. Secondly, don't forget about '74, we won that one too. And finally, it makes me very happy to know that the A's have demonstrated their championship caliber over the course of decades, whereas the Giants have only learned how to do this recently. It definitely seemed to upset the Giants fans that I know how futile their franchise had been up to 2010. I guess sometimes it takes time for little brother to figure out how big brother gets things done.
1. if you even have to question whether A's fans hate lew wolff you know you're out of touch with reality. do i need to find 'empirical proof' of warriors fans hating chris cohan or is that just common knowledge? are you even from the bay area? how many months have you been an A's fan? lol it's nice that you can google random stats about the 1970s but asking about proof of the hatred fans have for lew wolff shows you haven't been here for long

2. The differences in attendance in the last 25 years isn't much, with Oakland being at the ***-end of league the better part of the 90s. with both fan bases not being "die hard' fans like you'd find in boston, you'd think at least the A's would get more attendance given their success in oakland and this being an incentive for their fans to support their team thru not so successful years. 

1972 oakland ws team = 13th out of 24th place in the league, 5th out of 12th in AL

1973 oakland ws team = 17th out of 24th place in majors, 8th out of 12th in AL

1974 oakland ws team = 24 out of 26th place in majors, 11th out of 12th in AL

so yea, you saying that the reason A's attendance went down after 1992 = "because they stopped competing"... sure, the team was in the midst of a 3peat and attendance went down EVERY SINGLE YEAR. but im sure it was something else in play right?

3. harking back to the good ol' 1970s does what for you exactly.. unless you're retiring soon you experienced and enjoyed none of what happened 40 years ago. like a giants fan in 1980 talking crap to a cubs fan about the giants winning the 'chip in 1954 lol. 

4. San Franciscans are to east bay/oakland residents as New Yorkers are to New Jersey residents. or North Side Chicagoans to South Siders. it's a fact of life. 

it applies to 49ers and raiders too. it's not a false sense of superiority, or even some flawed/incorrect view of the city of San Francisco in comparison to oakland and the rest of the bay area. that's just how it is. a ny mets title isnt the same as a ny yankees title. a chisox title isn't the same as a cubs title. and thus, an A's title wont get as much attention as a Giants title, and not because giants fans are responsible. that's life. #dealwithit

that's why Matt Cain's perfect game got more attention and buzz than dallas braden. fair? no. some local coverage and a joke at what ESPN gave braden despite pitching against a better team and having that whole grandma angle. Matt Cain still got more attention, because he plays for the San Francisco Giants. you're not even from the bay area so how 

5. end of the day, i was rooting for A's against the tigers, while you come in here with "f*** the giants!!!!" 

don't get mad because i tell you things you dont want to hear about the A's playing second fiddle to the Giants, the same way the raiders play second fiddle to the Niners, and how anything oakland/eastbay plays second fiddle to the city of San Francisco. 

you have a chip on your shoulder and hate the giants. just think back about 1989. or about 30 years before you were born when the A's were winning titles. you'll be alright :smile:

Last edited:
Truth being told by Th3RealF0lkBlu3s. A's were drawing in fans when they were one of the best in baseball, while the Giants had poor attendance and they were the "red headed step child" and now its reversed. But you cant deny that the stadium and Bonds helped revive the SF franchise. They were moving to Tampa Bay for god's sake. A major league team in a big market city like SF moving to freaking tampa bay. A's will be fine just as long as they move to SJ and away from chitty *** Oak (A move I would approve btw). Oak has no corporate sponsorship which is a major reason the Giants are doing good.
1. i posted their attendance stats above at the PEAK of their success and they were at the bottom of the majors during their 3 consecutive titles. so no

2. What "corporate sponsorship" do the GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS get? and is the lack of corporate sponsorship in oakland the reason Oracle Arena is sold out damn near every night despite how trash the warriors are? corporate sponsorship excuse = invalid

3. If the hippy scum in oakland stops cck-blocking and let them build a stadium either in the same area or @ Jack London Square the fans WILL come. china basin was a DUMP and the giants/sf renovated it and look how sick that place is now. the same can be done in oakland. gentrify the sht out of it and ppl will come in hordes. 

including me, because unlike this other dude im not gona waste my time hating on the A's like his clear hatred towards the Giants

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom