Information Technology (IT)

Ive been applying left and right hoping someone takes a damn chance on me.

Currently in cybersecurity/anti fraud, bUt applying for other positions like penetration tester, etc. Want my resume to be diverse with experience.
In the mean time ill just build up my experience where im at.

What do you guys think about AWS certification? I'm heavily debating taking a 3 part course at the local college. It's in preparation for certified solutions architect associate.

So I picked up a CCENT study book and I read like 7 pages and I honestly don’t get anything in their regarding domain collisions, switches, etc. not to mention I was bored out of my mind.

Trying to get out of the help desk but man idk if network is where I wanna go. Frustrating not knowing what you wanna do

About 1/3rd into this Mike Meyers book and man it's a lot of info. A lot of info I'm sure isn't gonna be on the actual exam but I'm glad I'm learning it.

need some guidance NT famb.

so right now i work at a call center/service desk as a gov contractor for the feds. the agency is HHS.
im looking to apply to a job as a desktop support coordinator/junior system admin at a university and im wondering if you guys think thats a linear progression or a stagnant position compared to where I am now. fyi, i have zero certs

im looking at the job description of the duties I have to peform and i have no skills/knowledge in several of them but im always willing to learn on the job.
some of them include:

-Lead support for SCCM and Microsoft Windows management technology (MDT).

-Create, implement, and deploy images for Libraries workstations utilizing technologies such as Microsoft Deployment Toolkit (MDT)/Windows Deployment
Services (WDS)/ Windows Preinstallation Environment (WinPE) /Windows Automated Installation Kit (WAIK)/ and Pre-Boot Execution Environment (PXE).

-Develop and document processes to deploy Zero Touch Installation (ZTI) images for Libraries environment utilizing SCCM/MDT Operating System Deployment (OSD) as required.

thoughts? idk if this is a step up in my career or not tbh. from going as a fed contractor to a university employee at least..

Do you know what a SCCM is? Honestly that’s not something you can just lean on the jobs :lol:

It’s a very powerful software. Being a lead on it requires full responsibility of a domain and enterprise environment including mobile devices.

Im not saying you can’t learn it. However as a lead, you’re an expert. You should get the book and start studying on it.

However with Help Desk, they’re really looking to see how you would handle a situation more so than the knowledge. Also, customer service.

If it’s getting you off the phone and more so interacting with the engineers and customers hands on. Go for it. It’ll help.

Thank you. I just read a Forbes article telling me that no one person fits all the job description so I’m gonna shoot my shot lmao

need some guidance NT famb.

so right now i work at a call center/service desk as a gov contractor for the feds. the agency is HHS.
im looking to apply to a job as a desktop support coordinator/junior system admin at a university and im wondering if you guys think thats a linear progression or a stagnant position compared to where I am now. fyi, i have zero certs

im looking at the job description of the duties I have to peform and i have no skills/knowledge in several of them but im always willing to learn on the job.
some of them include:

-Lead support for SCCM and Microsoft Windows management technology (MDT).

-Create, implement, and deploy images for Libraries workstations utilizing technologies such as Microsoft Deployment Toolkit (MDT)/Windows Deployment
Services (WDS)/ Windows Preinstallation Environment (WinPE) /Windows Automated Installation Kit (WAIK)/ and Pre-Boot Execution Environment (PXE).

-Develop and document processes to deploy Zero Touch Installation (ZTI) images for Libraries environment utilizing SCCM/MDT Operating System Deployment (OSD) as required.

thoughts? idk if this is a step up in my career or not tbh. from going as a fed contractor to a university employee at least..

Oh yeah bro! SCCM cert will benefit you salary wise. I believe the company I used to work for was paying someone $55 an hour :lol:

I suggest you getting your cert in this. That if you enjoy it.

We have an “SCCM lead” on our team, his official title is an infrastructure system engineer (or something along those lines). Dude gets paid well, but when you talk to him you just know he knows his ****, not just from an SCCM knowledge base but just from an overall IT infrastructure knowledge too - great understanding of servers, networking, end points, etc...

Your original question about desktop support being stagnant - idk if that’s true or not at this point. Microsoft advising for OS updates damn near every 6-9 months is crazy to support from an enterprise perspective.

Hell, all the security initiatives from an end point perspective is crazy when talking about desktop support and what that all looks like now.

Infosec
I got my security+ in December. Applied for jobs for a couple months and no luck.
So im working on my ceh now to have a better chance
Do you have your Network+ or networking knowledge? I heard it's vital to understand networking well before moving on with a security related path.

Cannot wait to leave the helpdesk inshallah

Learned alot but its very stagnant and repetitive now
Don't be so quick to leave enjoy that time man, plenty of downtime to study and set yourself up. Need to study for my CASP but just don't feel like it.
Cool. Well from the things I've been reading says that a common next step from the Help Desk is Sys Admin.
That is correct unless you want to do something totally different like routers and switches, firewalls, cybersecurity. However, it isn't easy to jump from helpdesk straight into those fields even with the certs.

Back
Top Bottom