Information Technology (IT)

currently doing my best to get out of desktop support but I've been having trouble

Have you been hitting career/job fairs?

Whats your education looking like?

Do you want to stay in IT or transition into somewhere else in the tech space? If IT, do you have relevant certs?

Have you been hitting career/job fairs?

Whats your education looking like?

Do you want to stay in IT or transition into somewhere else in the tech space? If IT, do you have relevant certs?
I have a bachelors in management information systems
I want to stay in IT i want to move into an infosec role.
i got my sec+ working on my CEH next.
Located in Los Angeles :nerd:

Gotta cert up. You don't have experience in these roles so you gotta fill that gap somehow for someone to gamble on you.

This. We have the same degree so I can definitely say you're underselling yourself in support.

Cert up if thats the path you want to take and transition ASAP. I'd put in applications regardless, even for infosec positions you dont want. If you can sit for them you can get a feel for what the experience will be when it comes to secure an infosec position you'd like.

Gotta cert up. You don't have experience in these roles so you gotta fill that gap somehow for someone to gamble on you.

This. We have the same degree so I can definitely say you're underselling yourself in support.

Cert up if thats the path you want to take and transition ASAP. I'd put in applications regardless, even for infosec positions you dont want. If you can sit for them you can get a feel for what the experience will be when it comes to secure an infosec position you'd like.

Would CEH be the next best step cert wise?

Been awhile since I've posted in here..Recently left 1 ISP to go back to the previous ISP I worked for starting out my career in operations. Finally left Ops alone and moved into an engineering/architecture role. No more chasing and putting out fires daily . I've been in this role for about 3 months, loving it.

Can someone point/guide on the best way to study security+?

School wise, i sucked at studying/test taking. but i have been reading online that the test is alot of common sense. Tried group studying with coworkers but theyre not reliable or putting up on their part so...

Currently a manager at a phishing only soc. Just got promoted last year July from an analyst, and got no degree and no certs at the moment.

If u want study material for the Sec+ DM me.

My best method was to watch the professor Messer videos took my own notes then read his notes to review.
Also took practice tests.

This is true. I have a quite a few.
For those who successfully moved out of service/helpdesk and into Network or System Admin how was the transition and did you feel overwhelmed at first?

I've been doing a combination of desktop and helping the network team here as well. It's actually interesting to me doing networking. I was talking with the manager yesterday and he was showing me some things on the firewall and man it felt great. I've had the opportunity to do some fun things while working with the networking crew. I'm sure it's alot to it, but if you have a passion for it repetition will kill that overwhelming feeling, at least that's my belief.

Last edited:
Do any of y'all know about Sales/Solutions Engineering?

I'm a software developer by trade but my boy let me know his company is looking for SEs that know how to code.

It's a huge jump in salary but I'm wary of taking on a more client-facing role if it means I'm doing less coding/development work.

Man idk if I should keep trying to move up in IT or just get out of it and search for something new in general. I don’t like looking at a computer screen all day.

For those who successfully moved out of service/helpdesk and into Network or System Admin how was the transition and did you feel overwhelmed at first?

The first two weeks I felt overwhelmed but after that it was pretty smooth sailing. I always made sure to ask questions about anything I wasn't too sure of and kind of mimic my workload on my homelab. Constantly learning ways to automate tasks was a big help and got me recognized by a lot of the upper management so they would always come by my desk a few times a week to answer any questions or concerns I had.

The first two weeks I felt overwhelmed but after that it was pretty smooth sailing. I always made sure to ask questions about anything I wasn't too sure of and kind of mimic my workload on my homelab. Constantly learning ways to automate tasks was a big help and got me recognized by a lot of the upper management so they would always come by my desk a few times a week to answer any questions or concerns I had.

I need to study up on automation. Any tips?

Anyone get their CCNA recently(last 2-3 years). Looking at what study material I should use. Currently have Wendell Odom's books and will also use pluralsight as well. I also downloaded packet tracer but if anyone knows where I can get some good labs would be a big help.

Back
Top Bottom