Information Technology (IT)

96417969_3357192380974885_3261549846200320000_n.jpg

Planning on racking the Network+ exam in a couple months. Read the book and have a ton of notes, but focusing on other stuff while this is going on.

what advice do you guys have to hit the ground running once this clears up? Jobs have been lost, but there will probably be a general need for networking for optimizing wfh for businesses. Maybe local gov will also want to pivot towards updating infrastructure.

how could I get my foot in the door while the dust is still settling? I’m honestly down with working for free or minimum as I’m learning the ropes. I’m seeing a bigger picture and just want to eat it all up.

in SF btw

studying new ccna, ccnp encor, cisco devnet and aws csa currently, looking to take aws csa in 2/3 weeks. Failed my 3rd attempt at ccna security (its retired now lol)

I was working for a solar company and they did massive layoffs due to the pandemic. So I couldn't afford to do my certification online but I have over 7 years of experience working for the government. Just got called today to do an exam for an IT tech position for the city. I am excited. Anything I should expect? Thank you all for inspiration and support.

Had a zoom interview on Friday for a SCCM Engineer position. Located in DC, contract position with the Fed gov. Good contracting company as well (if there's a such thing :lol:). Got the call earlier today that they picked me. I currently have a Public Trust and this one requires one as well so hopefully it can transfer or speed up the process. I'm sure COVID-19 will slow it down though. Stoked but can't even really enjoy the news in this current environment COVID-19/George Floyd :smh:

Had a zoom interview on Friday for a SCCM Engineer position. Located in DC, contract position with the Fed gov. Good contracting company as well (if there's a such thing :lol:). Got the call earlier today that they picked me.

how do they plan to onboard start you? would love to jump from department/agency I support but max telework has me wondering if places are holding off on start dates til offices reopen

how do they plan to onboard start you? would love to jump from department/agency I support but max telework has me wondering if places are holding off on start dates til offices reopen
Haven't gotten the details yet for the new job yet although the guy said I'd get a laptop and we'd be using Skype/Teams a lot for training which will probably suck lol. But my agency has still been hiring feds/contractors during the pandemic. IT will send them a laptop they'll be able to login to without a PIV card since those are kind of on hold right now too. HR does a virtual orientation and then it goes from there. But we already know they aren't doing much.

Had a zoom interview on Friday for a SCCM Engineer position. Located in DC, contract position with the Fed gov. Good contracting company as well (if there's a such thing :lol:). Got the call earlier today that they picked me. I currently have a Public Trust and this one requires one as well so hopefully it can transfer or speed up the process. I'm sure COVID-19 will slow it down though. Stoked but can't even really enjoy the news in this current environment COVID-19/George Floyd :smh:

Congrats bro, best of luck with the new gig

Congrats 703. I hope they are better than my new job is at training. These people are literally the worst I have come across in my professional career, at communication/training/on boarding. I mean I am getting paid so whatever, but I don't want to feel like I am being made to look like the doofus of the group or being set up to fail. I started during telework so it's not as easy as it'd be if it was normal and I could be sitting and looking over someone's shoulder. Matter of fact, I have a meeting in 5 minutes over something I have no idea about. They just told me I have to stand in for someone else but I can at least just tell them I'll relay their questions.

Reminds me I need to update my resume to include this job and ts clearance.

Idk if it's an Air Force thing because I come from an Army background or just this base I work at in particular, but I can't stress enough how bad every job has been about training/onboarding. Dudes who been here over a decade just turning stuff over to me with no training, description, no well let me watch you do one first then you let me do it and check on it, or nothing. And there's all these scheduled outages where we have to come in after hours since it involves servers in multiple time zones across the world. i asked it he'll sit in with me and he's like you can do it its not hard. It's always like this when you start a new job right even if you know the job itself up and down then it gets better as you get more experience and training and you realize oh its really easy you just didnt know what to do at first, but i'm not seeing that stage here. Idk what to do, there's no right move but whatever I decide they better not try to take my 3 weeks of comp time and pto

How's things going at your gig 703 hwy 703 hwy Better I hope

Passed the VCP exam last month.

And just passed Microsoft AZ900 (Azure fundamentals). Trying to glow up after a break up by getting my cents up and mind right.
What study material did you use for the VCP? Been looking but don't see anything yet for the new exam.

It was the last version. I just took courses through Stanly CC. Cheapest way to qualify for the VCP unless you work for somewhere with credits.

Idk if it's an Air Force thing because I come from an Army background or just this base I work at in particular, but I can't stress enough how bad every job has been about training/onboarding. Dudes who been here over a decade just turning stuff over to me with no training, description, no well let me watch you do one first then you let me do it and check on it, or nothing. And there's all these scheduled outages where we have to come in after hours since it involves servers in multiple time zones across the world. i asked it he'll sit in with me and he's like you can do it its not hard. It's always like this when you start a new job right even if you know the job itself up and down then it gets better as you get more experience and training and you realize oh its really easy you just didnt know what to do at first, but i'm not seeing that stage here. Idk what to do, there's no right move but whatever I decide they better not try to take my 3 weeks of comp time and pto

How's things going at your gig 703 hwy 703 hwy Better I hope

My current job is exactly like this. I interviewed at Porsche and IBM and they told me it was like that also. I guess they all figure out will find out how to do it on your own. Which is weird considering the importance of what we are handling.

Them women will be back, as an option. Guarantee it, esp with yall making moves in life. The ball will be back in your court if you want them or not

MaxP_3 MaxP_3 It's just the combination maybe of most of them being stereoptypical socially awkward IT guys, the max telework environment, and I think poor organizational posture. If I was in charge, we'd have an S.O.P document for every task we do and have it readily available on the share drive for our employees. I get real stressed about it some days and think the worst like I am going to get fired and then I have better days like this week has been great. I also find the women I work with are 100x more helpful, they'll just msg me on skype like hey I'm doing this thing and since you're taking it over soon I'm going to screen share then call you and walk you through it or meet me on site tomorrow for training. I had applied for some other jobs, pretty much got offered every one but none carry a Top Secret so the closest pay was still 20k off. :sick::sick: Some Gs11 and 13s coming out soon though

I have worked at jobs where people have deliberately tried to sabotage me though. that's how i ended up in my current job really. I know they mad when they see they got me fired only for me to fall up into a better job every time

Back
Top Bottom