Information Technology (IT)

I did a week course for my Sec+. I passed after that..
With the right consistent study and materials or instruction you can study for a week and take it a little after. IMO

80. If it was ot instead of comp time, that'd add up something ridiculous with routine 60hr weeks. I found out even our gs civilians arent getting time and a half ot, they said they get like an extra $1.30 or comp time. I guess I need to wash my face and just get another job first, then I'll get paid out like 3 weeks of comp time plus pto i have built up and have no break unless I opt to just give myself a week between.

YMMV for Sec+.

There are week long courses. Video series like Professor Messer.

Everyone says the Darril Gibson book is good.

And always put yourself first. Invest in yourself. Pay yourself. Take care of yourself.

That job don’t pay you well. Move onto the next. Just make sure you take care of yourself in the ways above.

But I want that $$$.

Same, those letters really do add some negotiating power for certain roles.

I would prefer a boot camp, self-guided learning is not really for me. I can do a knowledge dump if the test is right afterward.
My concern is the application, trying to figure out how to apply and avoid an audit.

Also, want to do this without getting my company involved. They offered to cover costs but I don't feel like owing them the year for reimbursement.

Last edited:
PMP, CISSP letters that can translate to numerous jobs in multiple industries.

I went through a few boot camps. Just never followed up on self studying and the application.

I’ll download the application tomorrow.

I need to get this PMP cert out the way and get back to project/program management.

Let me know if you have any questions about it. I got it last year. You can't really avoid an audit because it is done at random. They streamlined the application process in June so it's actually easier to apply now.

Me too. Good luck. What materials are you using?

Been in a funk. But I want that $$$.

Prepcast Exam simulator ($139) and the Joseph Phillps course on Udemy (frequently goes on sale for $13) are enough to get a good understanding. The PMP subreddit has some good information as well.

I have both my CCNA and Security+ now. Thinking about going CySA+ route. Any body have any experience?

I took the beta for the new CySA+ exam back in November and was able to pass. I just read the study guide for the old exam but to be honest it wasn't that helpful.
Pretty much had to go off the knowledge I already had. I would say for the simulation portion of the test definitely know your ports( ssh, telnet, smtp) and which ones aren't secure.
I remember a simulation where you scan some servers to see what ports are open and you have to harden the server to make it more secure.

I am studying for my CASP (CompTIA Security Practitioner) exam now, been procrastinating all year. However, once I pass it I get a bonus, plus it will renew all my other ComTIA exams.
What are you using to study? I was thinking of tackling this next.

I have both my CCNA and Security+ now. Thinking about going CySA+ route. Any body have any experience?
I passed the last version of the exam.

If you’re familiar with blue team methodology, you should be fine. It’s mainly questions on patching, vulnerabilities, threats, attacks, defense in depth.

CASP tests more on security architectures.

Even though they sort of have no reputation, CompTIA’s security track can legit make an intermediate cyber security technician. W CISSP, easy six figure job in a growing sector of IT.

I have my sec+ scheduled for Sept 10th. Time to cram for the next month
I'll send you some materials I used. I studied for maybe 2 weeks, lightly. It's those demonstration/ILLuSTRAtion questions that were key and it leads off with them so you get off to a good start. It's the same ones you'll find in the online test banks, the one where you identify different types of security, or put the laptop in the safe or whatever and put the fax machine

I quit my job yesterday. Feels great

I'll send you some materials I used. I studied for maybe 2 weeks, lightly. It's those demonstration/ILLuSTRAtion questions that were key and it leads off with them so you get off to a good start. It's the same ones you'll find in the online test banks, the one where you identify different types of security, or put the laptop in the safe or whatever and put the fax machine

Don't forget to send that info pa.

Word congrats I think everything alright?
Want to get into security. What's a good start?
You might not want to hear this but A+ first, Security+, Net+ I personally think the A+ was harder to study for than Sec+

Passed my CASP today done taking tests for the next two years. Secured the bag for the yearly bonus now, that was only requirement I had left.
DEF9093D-C855-40F1-B8AC-B464ADFF906C.gif

Straight chillin now all my other CompTIA exams have been renewed. Probably grill out and play some games I been holding off until I passed.

Passed my CASP today done taking tests for the next two years. Secured the bag for the yearly bonus now, that was only requirement I had left.
DEF9093D-C855-40F1-B8AC-B464ADFF906C.gif

Straight chillin now all my other CompTIA exams have been renewed. Probably grill out and play some games I been holding off until I passed.
Kobe wouldbe proud b!!

damn i didnt know you worked in security mane.

I am so confused on where to go in my career next man, doing security as well.

i hate the company i work with rightnow

Back
Top Bottom