Information Technology (IT)

Try and get a job based in the US. You’ll get better pay. SDETs get paid decently. With experience it’s pretty good

Or look for companies that are remote worldwide. Those tend to pay well too. Definitely add in your accomplishments regarding the security vulnerabilities at your company on your resume. I doubt many sdets/QA engineers have that kinda knowledge.

Yeah really feel like Belgium can 10x his salary immediately staying right where he is by looking for remote roles with US/global companies.

Supposed to take the second half of my a+ this Saturday but I think I’m gonna reschedule it.. I’ve been slacking on studying I’m only halfway through the Mike Meyers course. I want to have at least a few days of practice tests/reviewing

I couldn’t get a voucher with a retake so I’m not trying to fail :lol:

Let’s see how the week goes..

Man I don't even make 35k in a year from my job :lol:
My title is "Software Test Engineer" and I feel like I got a really good contract at €2000/month net.
I’m in QA man. I’m looking for another job right now. No openings at my current job but I’ll legit give you a reference at my new job, once I get one, or at my old place once I leave, assuming they’ll have it open. You’re heavily underpaid my guy and it looks like you’ve got the skills to be paid a lot more. I’ll keep you posted and hopefully I can actually get a new job. Markets slow af here.

I’m in QA man. I’m looking for another job right now. No openings at my current job but I’ll legit give you a reference at my new job, once I get one, or at my old place once I leave, assuming they’ll have it open. You’re heavily underpaid my guy and it looks like you’ve got the skills to be paid a lot more. I’ll keep you posted and hopefully I can actually get a new job. Markets slow af here.

Whats cost of living like over there? Software Test Engineers is a 6 figure job over here

€2k net is actually higher than the average for my position over here, a starter salary for a software test engineer is usually around €1600-1700/month net from the stats I was able to find, as well as people in those jobs.
Tbh I'm perfectly fine with €2k, my living expenses come down to about €1200-1300/month. I also have supplementary income from my social media username sidehustle, which brings in a decent but inconsistent amount as I can no longer put in as much time and effort obtaining high value usernames. A large part of the current username sales come from old stock that I've held onto and has drastically risen in value, specifically Twitch usernames.
Combined, I can normally put at least half of my monthly net job salary into my savings, at the bare minimum.
I also don't have any debt and have 6 figures in savings.

Even if I were to cut the supplementary income, €2k/month is still fine to me. The most important is that I have a really great work environment. My colleagues are great, a few of them in particular are hilarious, there's always a relaxed atmosphere, the company is doing great and my job tasks are fun.
I genuinely have a good time at work and even for a substantial salary increase, I'm not sure I'd want to gamble away an environment where I actually have a good time at work.

Somehow someway I’ve finessed my way into another position that requires Security + which I still don’t have yet. Had the initial phone screen with recruiter at the beginning of the month, had a virtual interview with the operations director and program manager, follow up interview two days later with operations director, then today got the offer letter and that they want to start me without waiting for me to get the Security +.

Apparently they were extremely impressed during the interview because I answered every question perfectly. I’ll be honest, I’m terrible with interviews for the simple fact I can show you better than explaining it so I was surprised this process took less than 2 weeks.

35k increase along with a lead title now. Slightly further commute but it’ll workout since I’ll be going in at 6am which will let me beat traffic. They will maintain my TS clearance even though it only requires secret so that was another plus. They’ll also reimburse me for the security + voucher once I pass it.

I received the email while I’m in the office and dam near shed some tears man I’m so happy :nthat:
Congrats. That’s huge especially with the 8570/8140 finesse.
Supposed to take the second half of my a+ this Saturday but I think I’m gonna reschedule it.. I’ve been slacking on studying I’m only halfway through the Mike Meyers course. I want to have at least a few days of practice tests/reviewing

I couldn’t get a voucher with a retake so I’m not trying to fail :lol:

Let’s see how the week goes..
Two different mindsets. 1) Take the test when you’re ready. Hopefully, you’re doing practice tests like Boson, etc. Or 2) YOLO and take the test to see where you are, use luck, or reconnaissance.

I took the renewal test for my Azure Administrator cert. If it wasn’t the biggest attempt of trivia pursuit!! They literally pull the questions from the lower levels of hell. It’s not timed or require a secure browser. You’d likely need an active Azure account, luck or Dr Google.

Going to try to make my way through AZ700, Azure Networking Solutions. Trying to make my way up to architect so I can shift from standard networking to a growing and in demand IT segment.

Two different mindsets. 1) Take the test when you’re ready. Hopefully, you’re doing practice tests like Boson, etc. Or 2) YOLO and take the test to see where you are, use luck, or reconnaissance.

I took the renewal test for my Azure Administrator cert. If it wasn’t the biggest attempt of trivia pursuit!! They literally pull the questions from the lower levels of hell. It’s not timed or require a secure browser. You’d likely need an active Azure account, luck or Dr Google.

Going to try to make my way through AZ700, Azure Networking Solutions. Trying to make my way up to architect so I can shift from standard networking to a growing and in demand IT segment.
Thanks man. I’m still trying to figure out how I keep finessing these jobs without my sec +

Get in where you can fit in. Especially if they’re willing to throw the bag.
:nthat: Definitely will

I found it funny when I sent my resignation email to my subcontractor, they hit me saying “what is it we can do to keep you?” I told them the salary, they immediately came back “yeah we can’t match that, so sad to have you leave.”

:nthat: Definitely will

I found it funny when I sent my resignation email to my subcontractor, they hit me saying “what is it we can do to keep you?” I told them the salary, they immediately came back “yeah we can’t match that, so sad to have you leave.”
I remember my old company found I was leaving indirectly because I was going through a gov clearance process. These fools basically said you can look at our current openings and see if you like anything and apply. They wanna do everything but give you a raise. Glad I dipped outta there :smh:

I remember my old company found I was leaving indirectly because I was going through a gov clearance process. These fools basically said you can look at our current openings and see if you like anything and apply. They wanna do everything but give you a raise. Glad I dipped outta there :smh:
The pay wasn’t the only issue. It was absolutely no incentives to staying further than 6 months and even that is being generous. This is the most I’ve been paying for insurance (which apparently isn’t even top tier), PTO days are absolutely horrible and there’s no type of advancement. This is a dead end position with no realistic career progress.

My last boss was begging like a forsaken lover too when i put my 2 weeks in

Back on this contract I was on 18/19, talk about nothing to do. The few people before me all quit because of it but you just have to know how to maximize it. Best case study for the next career level certs or online classes, learn to trade forex, etc worse case spend all day in youtube and take naps and just keep my teams online and all my hr **** up to date. Theres a gym next door I need to figure out whats popping in there, boss doesnt even care if i am on site or not. Probably bout to take an hour lunch then finish the rest of the day from home but props to everyone in the thread floroushing

Congrats.

Heads up w Core 2 PBQ’s just in case:

-Disk partitioning
-3 workstations with a a bunch of fill in the blanks for “Hostname, GPO, IP and Domain.” you MUST click on the monitors on each of the workstation to open CMD. Then type help and the answers should be self explanatory
-live chat asking to adjust the IMAP ports
-two tickets w one being a printer issue with the wrong IP and BSOD

If you can perform well on those then you’ll do fine.

I highly suggest you get Jason Dion’s practice exams once you’re finished studying. If you have any questions you can DM or reply
Can you expand on the last 2? I don’t remember seeing them while studying? dinyc3st dinyc3st

Yea I’m taking my test either tmrw or Thursday. Gonna review tonight and take some practice tests and see what happens. I failed the my itf and first half of a+ the first time each but it’s not even that big of a deal, it tells you what you need to study. Only thing is for those I got vouchers with retakes but this time they didn’t have any so I gotta drop the $249 again if I fail

Last edited:
-
Can you expand on the last 2? I don’t remember seeing them while studying? dinyc3st dinyc3st
IMAP is designed for a specific port number 143/993 for sending and receiving emails. The PBQ basically mocks a chat stating that it’s not set. You’ll then fix it by correcting the IMAP port number.

The BSOD(Blue screen of death) PBQ involves a mocks a ticketing system which then give you options on investigating the issue, solution and test the solution. There’s two, one being BSOD and Printer Network troubleshooting

Any SQL course recommendations?
I have Pluralsight as of today, my boss gave me his login info so I can use it for free.
It’s not really required for my job that I have much SQL knowledge but I have free reign at or after work with my own local test database. So this evening I’ve been messing around with figuring out SQL injections.

Anyone ever get in to management in IT and realize that it's not for them? Started with the company in January and had a team of 1. Now it's a team of 5 and I feel like I got more done by myself than working with a team. Constantly repeating myself and guys just not getting it. My boss on my *** about guys who truly are overpaid for the work they fail to do. I'm transitioning to Sr Sys Admin from Helpdesk Manager. At first I thought it was a bad idea, but as the days go on I'm cool with it.

Anyone ever get in to management in IT and realize that it's not for them? Started with the company in January and had a team of 1. Now it's a team of 5 and I feel like I got more done by myself than working with a team. Constantly repeating myself and guys just not getting it. My boss on my *** about guys who truly are overpaid for the work they fail to do. I'm transitioning to Sr Sys Admin from Helpdesk Manager. At first I thought it was a bad idea, but as the days go on I'm cool with it.
:lol: You hit it on the head. Your own management chain and direct reports are more of a headache than the work itself.

Man this Boeing job recruiting me like I’m a LeBron level prospect and they talking numbers! I always tell whoever I interviewed at Boeing before a few years ago and I didnt like the vibes, and this was for a job paying half as much. Now all these headhunters hitting me up for a Sys Admin at 50- 55/hr which is like 110k, in OKC money that is crazy. Nvm I also just got approved to get my rent paid, the landlord just has to sign off on it. Finally someone from Boeing directly called me and i told her the same thing she said she’d have the hiring manager for this Pacific opportunity call me snd talk about the workplace culture. I also noticed that since they first started emailing me it changed from 100% on site to hybrid.

One thing my current opportunity has, is that I am doing nothing (contract is literally called the whitespace contract) and lends itself to low stress, bout to dip out now and pick up my daughter and they are holding my Top Secret and supposed to be going to upgrade to TS SCI in a few months. But money is money odk how much longer I can keep turning down ~20k bump

Back
Top Bottom