Information Technology (IT)

Even though it’s technically my job as a software tester, just got a special bonus for coming up with a creative exploit that allowed me to log in on anyone’s account without needing their password, including the system admin. For reference, we’re a fairly big (in Belgium only) HR Software company.

Feeling like a king after all the praise and special bonus from my boss :pimp:
The company decided that when the devs debug and fix it, we’ll covertly sneak it in a hotfix and never mention it to our clients :lol:

Failed my A+ today by 5 questions :smh:
**** printers

It was harder than I thought.. i was fairly confident going into it. I don’t even know what I need to review. Did Meyers’s course maybe I’ll do prof. Messer before trying again
Ah man .. just keep studying and take as many test dumps as possible....

Now that it’s been a few hours and I’m not as upset I know what I gotta study. I was decently confident going in but I quickly realized it was definitely harder than I anticipated :lol: it ended up being pretty much what I was worried about though
Mostly details about networking, remembering ports, troubleshooting printers

I have some of those practice tests but I never finished one. Gonna do a few

Taking the weekend off then I wanna study and take the test again asap

They are updating the A+ in October so I gotta pass both parts by then
Taking those practice test are key.... Once you can breeze through a test in an hour you know you're ready....

Failed my A+ today by 5 questions :smh:
**** printers

It was harder than I thought.. i was fairly confident going into it. I don’t even know what I need to review. Did Meyers’s course maybe I’ll do prof. Messer before trying again
Professer Messer is awesome. Not gonna lie to you A+ was low key kinda tough.. looking back though I think I wasted my time/money obtaining that cert… what’s you goal?

Then again, I have no college degree so I went through a time where I was cert crazy!

I didn’t even know there’s an IT thread.

But here’s my journey:

-Worked in the retail industry for 14 years total. Worked my way up as an auditor for Foot Locker INC until COVID in which I got laid off.

-My friends who already in the IT field recommend that I try it out and direct me to Professor Messer as well as their account for Jason Dion’s practice exams for 220-1001 and 220-1002.

Ended up getting my A+ around July of 2020 and found a gig working for a clinic in Brooklyn as a L1 Tech. Pay wasn’t too bad as I started at 22/hr.

I decided I wanted to get my Network+ certificate earlier this year and went back to Professor Messer to study and copped Jason Dion’s practice exams for myself this time and was able to pass the exam last May.

3 weeks ago I’ve applied for a System Admin role for the same company but in the city. Ended up getting the job and now my salary is current at damn near 100K/yr.

Crazy how one phenomenon changed my whole life financially.

Never give up on your goals.

Also if you have any questions feel free to hmu

Professer Messer is awesome. Not gonna lie to you A+ was low key kinda tough.. looking back though I think I wasted my time/money obtaining that cert… what’s you goal?

Then again, I have no college degree so I went through a time where I was cert crazy!
Not sure where I wanna go yet right now I’m just getting the starting 3 so I can get my foot in the door.
A+ Net+ and I’ll probably start looking for jobs while I’m getting my sec+

I’ve only worked in restaurants my whole life, hope to have a story like above 🔥 dinyc3st dinyc3st

I rescheduled my test for next Wednesday. I know what I gotta review so hopefully I’ll be good

Not sure where I wanna go yet right now I’m just getting the starting 3 so I can get my foot in the door.
A+ Net+ and I’ll probably start looking for jobs while I’m getting my sec+

I’ve only worked in restaurants my whole life, hope to have a story like above 🔥 dinyc3st dinyc3st

I rescheduled my test for next Wednesday. I know what I gotta review so hopefully I’ll be good
Gotcha! Wish ya the best.. IT is so vast man, many different paths you can travel down. I too started with Sec+, A+ & Net+. They are great certs to get started with!

I didn’t even know there’s an IT thread.

But here’s my journey:

-Worked in the retail industry for 14 years total. Worked my way up as an auditor for Foot Locker INC until COVID in which I got laid off.

-My friends who already in the IT field recommend that I try it out and direct me to Professor Messer as well as their account for Jason Dion’s practice exams for 220-1001 and 220-1002.

Ended up getting my A+ around July of 2020 and found a gig working for a clinic in Brooklyn as a L1 Tech. Pay wasn’t too bad as I started at 22/hr.

I decided I wanted to get my Network+ certificate earlier this year and went back to Professor Messer to study and copped Jason Dion’s practice exams for myself this time and was able to pass the exam last May.

3 weeks ago I’ve applied for a System Admin role for the same company but in the city. Ended up getting the job and now my salary is current at damn near 100K/yr.

Crazy how one phenomenon changed my whole life financially.

Never give up on your goals.

Also if you have any questions feel free to hmu
Niceeee! Really quick turnaround on your career path.. you must’ve really been grinding!

Niceeee! Really quick turnaround on your career path.. you must’ve really been grinding!
Studying at home and also while I’m at work(for hands-on experience obviously) paying off well. I’m grateful. The road doesn’t end here though. On to my Sec+ journey.

Even though it’s technically my job as a software tester, just got a special bonus for coming up with a creative exploit that allowed me to log in on anyone’s account without needing their password, including the system admin. For reference, we’re a fairly big (in Belgium only) HR Software company.

Feeling like a king after all the praise and special bonus from my boss :pimp:
The company decided that when the devs debug and fix it, we’ll covertly sneak it in a hotfix and never mention it to our clients :lol:
Something pretty wild happened at work after this...

During lunchbreak at the table, one of my coworkers brought up that exploit I found and then out of nowhere explicitly asked me infront of everyone if I could "hack into her ex-husband's finances, emails" etc while she's in a contentious court case with him about alimony. I'm not sure of her exact function but she's a higher up, though not at the executive level. She said this right infront of everyone with our boss at the table as well. She said her ex husband was hiding income through shell companies etc and also added that she'd pay me for it.

Litterally asking me to enter a criminal conspiracy with her infront of about a dozen witnesses.
Unsure of how to respond, I just replied "eh I think you might be overestimating my skills" and figured that'd be the end of it. Instead of backing down though, she said something along the lines of 'well you probably know some people right?"
She finally dropped it after I replied that perhaps I do but that it would be a horrible idea.

Our boss didn't say a word, guy just kept eating as if nothing happened.

Anybody familiar with Palo Alto firewalls? It’s a requirement in my class and they gave us a free voucher so I’ll be taking the certificate in a few weeks.
I took a course through StanlyCC. It prepared you for the PCNA. It’s pretty similar to Fortinet or Firepower. Once you get familiar with policies, NAT/DNAT/PAT, NGFW stuff, it’s not too hard. Says that without taking the test 😂
Man it just seems anything fed related is annoyingly slow. She might hit you back next month.
Bro. This one company has been stringing along bread crumbs for three months. I’m sort of ready to say it’s unprofessional. But I’m waiting to see the offer letter.

Passed core 1 of the A+ on my second attempt :pimp: :pimp: amped af right now

Onto core 2! Gotta have it done by October 20 before they update them
Congrats.

Heads up w Core 2 PBQ’s just in case:

-Disk partitioning
-3 workstations with a a bunch of fill in the blanks for “Hostname, GPO, IP and Domain.” you MUST click on the monitors on each of the workstation to open CMD. Then type help and the answers should be self explanatory
-live chat asking to adjust the IMAP ports
-two tickets w one being a printer issue with the wrong IP and BSOD

If you can perform well on those then you’ll do fine.

I highly suggest you get Jason Dion’s practice exams once you’re finished studying. If you have any questions you can DM or reply

All these cert wins tell me I need to get back on this cert grind -
-SAFe Agilist (wish I could jump into the SAFe Program Consultant, my company is covering bonuses for it)
-PMP
AWS Solutions Architect Associate (and Azure equivalent)

Looking for some tips or advice.:

I'm currently under a contract company linked to Peraton. Lately my company has been giving me more responsibilities and now they've promoted me to Lead position in my department. I've heard from current leads that it takes them a while to upgrade your pay when merging over to the position. Which to me doesn't sound right, once they classify you at a higher position, you should get a raise in pay immediately for the higher responsibilities of the role.

I'm trying to figure out how to address this situation and talk to my Sup. Also, I dont know if the current lead was lying to me, but he told me he made 50 cents less than I do. And hes been at that position for around 2 years, and I just started 7 months ago. I didn't tell him what I made because that caught me off guard.

I think they're going to merge me over soon to Peraton, but I'm trying to see how best to make sure I fight for or put energy towards getting more pay, because I'm working to make more money not take on more responsibility for the same pay. I'm still going to put quality into my role, because that's who I am. But I also want to make sure I'm wise about sticking up for myself.

Thanks guys, I know some of you guys have been in this for a while and have experienced a lot.

All these cert wins tell me I need to get back on this cert grind -
-SAFe Agilist (wish I could jump into the SAFe Program Consultant, my company is covering bonuses for it)
-PMP
AWS Solutions Architect Associate (and Azure equivalent)
I'm about to start Bootcamp for me AWS SAA. My son is starting school on the 22nd and I have time before work to level up...

How do you become a sys admin? Just tryna move away from help desk

Like are there Udemy courses I can take to learn to become a sys admin? Do I need certs?

Last edited:
I'm about to start Bootcamp for me AWS SAA. My son is starting school on the 22nd and I have time before work to level up...

Nice (one of my former co-workers, now client) took his test last week, I need to pick his brain about how it went.

once you learn the concepts, the study material below is great for reinforcement…

Looking for some tips or advice.:

I'm currently under a contract company linked to Peraton. Lately my company has been giving me more responsibilities and now they've promoted me to Lead position in my department. I've heard from current leads that it takes them a while to upgrade your pay when merging over to the position. Which to me doesn't sound right, once they classify you at a higher position, you should get a raise in pay immediately for the higher responsibilities of the role.

I'm trying to figure out how to address this situation and talk to my Sup. Also, I dont know if the current lead was lying to me, but he told me he made 50 cents less than I do. And hes been at that position for around 2 years, and I just started 7 months ago. I didn't tell him what I made because that caught me off guard.

I think they're going to merge me over soon to Peraton, but I'm trying to see how best to make sure I fight for or put energy towards getting more pay, because I'm working to make more money not take on more responsibility for the same pay. I'm still going to put quality into my role, because that's who I am. But I also want to make sure I'm wise about sticking up for myself.

Thanks guys, I know some of you guys have been in this for a while and have experienced a lot.
Man that’s bs in my opinion. Others are saying it took awhile because HR decided to take awhile. These companies can literally adjust your pay the next pay period if they really wanted to. My girl is a contractor for the gov and they moved her into a lead position so she requested a pay raise and they gave it to her. She did wait a few weeks just because she didn’t want to bring it up but once she did they approved it so she most likely could have gotten it sooner.

Nothing wrong in having the conversation. An increase in responsibilities should incur an increase in pay. You’re not doing the same job you were hired for.

Yeah, this is a Gov position also. I work with MHS (Military Health Systems).

Exactly, I'm definitely not sitting on this.

got an interview for what seems to be an SCCM heavy position, obviously the recruiter interviewed me first and he loved my experience and wants to go forward, but idk sounds like they want SCCM and built from the ground up. I used it before and even then was forever ago but it was already built. On site, but it's my favorite part of town and like under 10 minutes from where I live and a +12k increase from where I am now so I can deal with that. I might need to look at an SCCM book or youtube before the interview

You renewed in a few days? I just purchased the CertMaster for Sec+ and haven’t started. This is my first time renewing.
Yep, took me a few days. I spent 2-3 hours each day. I have two monitors so on one monitor I was taking the test, the other monitor I opened a Google doc to record the answers. You have to get 100% on the five domains.

Back
Top Bottom