Information Technology (IT)

Anyone in QA for a govt contractor? Is work in govt contracting usually stressful? I’ve heard it’s chill for other positions. Not sure about QA/sdet
I'm in QA. Govt. Funded company.

Chill as can be. Flexible. And awesome :pimp:

Word yeah I thought vpn is all I need. Even if I get their internet, I’d still have to connect to the vpn. Just bizarre. Will have to do that

Hey fellas,

Anyone in the Network Engineering field? I want to create a portfolio with some projects, but I don't know any. Studying for my Security+ now but I would like some hands on experience. My current job, I work for a elementary school, I can't really mess and poke around in our network as much. I do have packet tracer and VMware. Thanks for any info and help.

Portfolio of things you did?

Maybe standardize the configuration of network devices. Set up an Ansible Server? Setup NMS (LibreNMS if they don’t have Solarwinds or Cisco/Fortinet/Juniper thingie).

Implement a new technology?

You could red team the network sorta kind of by using vulnerability scanners, nmap, etc.

Or try volunteering somewhere for Free .99.

Also Packet Tracer is cool for simple stuff. But GNS3, EVE-NG, CML, or Container Labs provider more options to setup a “real” network.

Portfolio of things you did?

Maybe standardize the configuration of network devices. Set up an Ansible Server? Setup NMS (LibreNMS if they don’t have Solarwinds or Cisco/Fortinet/Juniper thingie).

Implement a new technology?

You could red team the network sorta kind of by using vulnerability scanners, nmap, etc.

Or try volunteering somewhere for Free .99.

Also Packet Tracer is cool for simple stuff. But GNS3, EVE-NG, CML, or Container Labs provider more options to setup a “real” network.

Thank you! All great info. Its hard to find guidance sometimes in IT.

The standard for Network engineering is a home lab, ie hardware routers and switches. You have great virtual options nowadays like VIRL etc. Check out Djuan lightfoot and The Art of Networking YouTube channels and pods.

I'm in QA. Govt. Funded company.

Chill as can be. Flexible. And awesome :pimp:
Man, I got an offer for 20k less than my current job. But my current job is damn stressful. I’m kind of at a startup. I also don’t wanna take the -20k for a similar job where I’m putting in crazy work.

Ever heard of any horror stories or it’s straight up chill? -20k might be worth it for work life balance. But the -20k is much more than I thought they’d ask for. I was expecting almost half my current pay, since I heard that gov contracting pays less but wlb is amazing. So the higher offer is kind of a red flag. Or at least worrying lol.

Man, I got an offer for 20k less than my current job. But my current job is damn stressful. I’m kind of at a startup. I also don’t wanna take the -20k for a similar job where I’m putting in crazy work.

Ever heard of any horror stories or it’s straight up chill? -20k might be worth it for work life balance. But the -20k is much more than I thought they’d ask for. I was expecting almost half my current pay, since I heard that gov contracting pays less but wlb is amazing. So the higher offer is kind of a red flag. Or at least worrying lol.
I think that depends on the job and people to justify a chill workplace. Just because it's a gov. Job doesn't mean stress/work place issues won't be there. Me personally wouldn't take a -20k pay cut for a job UNLESS it's to a point where hands may need to be thrown on a daily basis.. then taking a 20k pay cut might be the move until you find something better.

QA is easy. I dont know what they be doing but they not working hard or stressed out, and this is coming from me so I understand pot meet kettle. Matter of fact our network admin switched over to QA.
Production/manufacturing Q.A. can be stressful at times depending on what type of task you're doing(coming from 11 years Q.A. Inspector)
But I agree, overall Q.A. is chill in any job scope.

I took a pay cut like that before, It was close to family and I needed that at the time for my mental health. It was great, eventually bills caught up though then I'm stressed again. It was cool but I'll stick to the code "don't hustle backwards".

I went from 80 to 56 for the same reason. Job had me hating life, matter of fact if I would have stayed the comp time hours would easily have pushed me well over 100k, heck maybe even 150k, i worked a 72 hour week once but that was not what I signed up for. Piece of **** company (Akira Technologies) didnt even pay me out my comp time when I left, much less my accrued leave

The 56k was at Immigration it was very temporary, in fact I took that job but i already had another ~80k in the bag they just were processing slow. I think I was at immigration 4 to 6 weeks, 2 of which were overlap with the next one

Protect your mental health fam. Take the lower pay, you’ll find something back in the bracket you want to be in no time without the streas and poor work life balance

****** had me out here couldnt pick up my daughters, no weekends anymore, couldnt even telework some days because my patch cycle for that day had SIPR, i was miserable. Fathers Day I went down to be with the fam but Sundays i have like 4 cycles i had to do so I was off in the other room by myself. Never again

Last edited:
Just passed my A+ core 2 on second attempt. Got 708/700. Officially A+ certified :nthat:
Man I’m amped, I really thought I failed that. This test was way harder than the first attempt I took
Like I wasn’t even gonna be upset when I saw that I failed, I legit thought I had no chance

Let’s gooooo

Just passed my A+ core 2 on second attempt. Got 708/700. Officially A+ certified :nthat:
Man I’m amped, I really thought I failed that. This test was way harder than the first attempt I took
Like I wasn’t even gonna be upset when I saw that I failed, I legit thought I had no chance

Let’s gooooo

Congrats and keep pressing forward!!

OAN, after my experience with this management ish it's time for me to get to the bag next year. Definitely shooting for 6 figures. Feels like I been on the cusp of it for a couple years now. Plus I think I really want to be remote 3/4 days a week now.

Somehow someway I’ve finessed my way into another position that requires Security + which I still don’t have yet. Had the initial phone screen with recruiter at the beginning of the month, had a virtual interview with the operations director and program manager, follow up interview two days later with operations director, then today got the offer letter and that they want to start me without waiting for me to get the Security +.

Apparently they were extremely impressed during the interview because I answered every question perfectly. I’ll be honest, I’m terrible with interviews for the simple fact I can show you better than explaining it so I was surprised this process took less than 2 weeks.

35k increase along with a lead title now. Slightly further commute but it’ll workout since I’ll be going in at 6am which will let me beat traffic. They will maintain my TS clearance even though it only requires secret so that was another plus. They’ll also reimburse me for the security + voucher once I pass it.

I received the email while I’m in the office and dam near shed some tears man I’m so happy :nthat:
Update on this:

Been at the new job for a week now. It’s cool, 2 direct reports and we’re just help desk techs without any permissions (same as my last job but just wasn’t a lead). I’m going to have to get used to all the meetings, reports and delegating. One of my direct reports need babysitting even though they’ve been there for about 7 years :smh: Parking is paid for, environment isn’t stressful (yet?), good looking coworkers, early schedule, company events.

I didn’t think about going that managerial route but I might like not being all hands on. The pay is great as well.

Sec+ scheduled for Nov 12, hopefully I knock it out first try

I got offered a $20k pay cut on the last job I applied for too and rejected it. I would’ve considered it if it was 100% remote because I could work 2 jobs, but they wanted me in the office 2 days a week and I refuse to commute anymore.

I got offered a $20k pay cut on the last job I applied for too and rejected it. I would’ve considered it if it was 100% remote because I could work 2 jobs, but they wanted me in the office 2 days a week and I refuse to commute anymore.
Brah, I wasn’t gonna say anything but you can face jail time if working 2 jobs while working in a govt contracting role. That’s actually my main reason I’m hesitant. I wanna have the option to do so. Accepting the position is gonna restrict me.

QA is easy. I dont know what they be doing but they not working hard or stressed out, and this is coming from me so I understand pot meet kettle. Matter of fact our network admin switched over to QA.

Production/manufacturing Q.A. can be stressful at times depending on what type of task you're doing(coming from 11 years Q.A. Inspector)
But I agree, overall Q.A. is chill in any job scope.

Yeah it’s kind of a hilarious job. Just there to point out inaccuracies and give other people more work lol. My place has got us doing more than just automation and QA work since it’s a big mess but I’m cool with being heavily involved. I just wanna know what it looks like working a 3 hour week, like I see some ppl saying online about gov roles lmao.

Brah, I wasn’t gonna say anything but you can face jail time if working 2 jobs while working in a govt contracting role. That’s actually my main reason I’m hesitant. I wanna have the option to do so. Accepting the position is gonna restrict me.

A $20k pay cut AND the risk of jail time if you pick up a 2nd job? It doesn’t sound like it’s worth the trouble :lol:.

Back
Top Bottom