Information Technology (IT)

Gonna try to learn javascript and html by the end of the year using code academy.  If all goes well I'll start with html by the beginning of the year... 

Working as a desktop analyst II right now, would love to move into networking or programming in a few years. 

Will try to make a music app for my team next year as well... 

Anybody working in tech notice they work better from home? I crank out work like nothing at home but I struggle to focus at the office. Weird.

It sucks because most jobs want you know to be fluent in JavaScript as well as the libraries. The syntax is "simple" enough but still kinda off. for() or if/elsif/else statements friggin suck but that's pretty much all you do in JavaScript :lol: I'm learning it so I can have the foundation down then I'm moving onto Python and C#. I need a C language under my belt and feel like C# is the easiest to learn :lol: Java is another beast for another day.
What jobs? The only jobs that I see that require JS knowledge are web developer positions. Even as an IT business analyst, I use some JS since Sharepoint requires so many workarounds. Im the sharepoint guy in my dept.

Well, yea, those :lol: I figured it was a good entry-level position and I vested so much time into learning web development already. Goal is to build web apps since those are versatile as opposed to specific language-based apps.

What Bonfires on FCC are you on?

Well, me, I'm on the "Slasher Flick" Bonfire. If there's a lot of NTers doin FCC we need to make a Gitter or a thread on here or something. It's great to work w/ other people sometimes and work through the coding together.

Anybody working in tech notice they work better from home? I crank out work like nothing at home but I struggle to focus at the office. Weird.

Less distractions. When you code, you have to submerge yourself in it to get a flow going, as soon as that focus is broken, it takes a while (at least for me) to get back into it. In the office, people want to talk, move around, eat, etc etc, breaking the focus.

Last edited:
Well, yea, those
laugh.gif
I figured it was a good entry-level position and I vested so much time into learning web development already. Goal is to build web apps since those are versatile as opposed to specific language-based apps.
I'd recommend learning some server-side scripting languages like ASP.NET and web-based DBMS like MySQL. I love front-end development though since it focuses more on design.

Last edited:
What jobs? The only jobs that I see that require JS knowledge are web developer positions. Even as an IT business analyst, I use some JS since Sharepoint requires so many workarounds. Im the sharepoint guy in my dept.

Yeah most jobs are looking for Java or C++, personally wouldn't spend my time learning JS unless you are looking to do web development.

Edit: Nevermind that's what he's looking to do.

Last edited:
Well, yea, those :lol: I figured it was a good entry-level position and I vested so much time into learning web development already. Goal is to build web apps since those are versatile as opposed to specific language-based apps.
I'd recommend learning some server-side scripting languages like ASP.NET and web-based DBMS like MySQL. I love front-end development though since it focuses more on design.

Yea, I'm going to get into that PHP, Python, etc. but I feel like I need to learn C# before I get into ASP.NET, unless it's like JQuery where you can make sense of it and learn before you learn the basic language

Last edited:
dathbgboy dathbgboy I tend to post in the chat when I'm working on things and offer advice if I run across something I know.

Regex are annoying, but javascript isn't too bad. Its just the questions aren't always understandable until I've failed and see what they are testing.

[thread="596982"]I learned ASP.NET with no C# knowledge (I hate OOP) but I didnt enjoy it at all. It would help though.[/thread]
Oh, in that case, I'll check it out :lol:

dathbgboy dathbgboy I tend to post in the chat when I'm working on things and offer advice if I run across something I know.

Regex are annoying, but javascript isn't too bad. Its just the questions aren't always understandable until I've failed and see what they are testing.

That's what I was told to do. It's coo to check and see what your code is supposed to be doing. I use Repl.it to do the code and test it, can even save the session if you want. It was hard to test it out in the FCC window. Which chat do you go into? I'm usually in my local chat. We don't chat a lot (the Gitter app sucks) but we chat enough and meet once a month to do coding together.

Hey guys, I posted on here before when I was still at geico.. I was able to leave geico and landed a job at Birch Communications. I have plans to switch into the help desk jobs when they are available after my job probation/certification ends in February 2015.
I have 6 classes left on my associates in computer support at a local technical college.
Should I finish those 6 classes and then begin a bachelors in IT (or CS, or CE)?
It sounds like a rhetorical question but I'm a 24 with a little girl and another little girl on the way. Every fiber in me wants to put in some type of work to expand my salary, I just need a clear focused foundation so I can set a time table if that makes sense..

I say transfer what you have into WGU and grind it out and finish the bachelors in the same time you would the associates.

I currently suppot a listed derivatives application for an investment bank. My day to day duties range from helping users with loggin/access issues, configuring scripts to process pricing from RMDS, I have gained a lot unix knowledge since I work in putty a lot, and I create a ton of querues to help clients find trades and report application usage. I enjoy learning how trades work and how the business operates but I want to get back into full time devlopment.

I have plans to move into a web dev role, I say in 2 years, I understand client side devlopment pretty well. Server side is where things get a little tricky for me.

What is the best server side language to focus on starting out?

Just updated my Resume and moved stuff around/added some stuff.

Any brehs want to review it and give recommendations? I`m an BA by the way.

PM your email.

need some suggestions or advice on a way to better understand algorithms. I am not a big math buff, its my weakest subject actually, I'm only in my 2nd level comp sci course but I want to be able to grasp the concept of putting together codes better.

Taking Cloud Computing and Web Programming this semester. Gonna be a lot of work but I'm excited to finally be done making generic java programs and start doing something I consider more useful

Cool to see so many people into programming. Can't wait to finish up jquery and Javascript on FCC. Don't even what I want to focus on yet but I'm learning the language pretty well.

Anybody in here use Git and Github? How do yall feel about it? Been trying to use it w/ the website redesign project and this Udacity JavaScript course and still can't wrap my head around it. Mainly the editing of the files and then committing them.

Back
Top Bottom