Information Technology (IT)

Moving there I would need at least $60k which I know is a stretch. My wife would be in school and I'd be responsible for taking care of home in the mean time. I aint worried about a luxury whip, always felt that leasing a non-base model whip> leasing a luxury whip. Some of the spots I looked at years ago when I was trying to move down ATL was decent for the price $800 in Pittsburgh gets you an older apt or home w/ no amenities while ATL gets you a 2br/2ba apartment in a gated community walk-in closets, etc. :lol:

Rent prices and housing prices are rising in Atlanta. I mean if you wanna live 20-30 minutes outside of the perimeter and sit in traffic then yea rent is cheap. I'm not about that life though.

Lol I`m good on luxury rides in general, but I know dudes who worked as bankers and they dont make that much but were able to give off the perception they were making a ton more .

Main reason I love ATL though is I`m still super early in my career but was able to buy a home, car, and not feel stressed out financially because high cost of living. Cost of living is increasing in ATL but I already have a home to rest my head and God willing as long I keep hitting my career and personal goals as planned then I will still be eating good. I only have 3 yrs experience in the area I want to be, and when I finish I will be at 5 or 6 yrs experience plus a Masters (along with more technical skills), so I`m just trying to stay grounded and pay my dues, and the simple fact I work from home 3 days a week I`m not complaining at all.
Your move with the Master's and experience will definitely pay out. How long is it going to take you to finish your Master's? Your work situation is sweet too working from home 3 days a week is dope. 

Congrats on buying on a house great hedge against rental inflation. The way ATL is getting gentrified those rental prices are going to sky rocket with the next 5 years. I did the same here in the DMV and bought a house it only thing that made sense to me. Why rent a 1000 sqft apartment when I can buy a home and have a mortgage of the same price or cheaper in most cases.

Moving there I would need at least $60k which I know is a stretch. My wife would be in school and I'd be responsible for taking care of home in the mean time. I aint worried about a luxury whip, always felt that leasing a non-base model whip> leasing a luxury whip. Some of the spots I looked at years ago when I was trying to move down ATL was decent for the price $800 in Pittsburgh gets you an older apt or home w/ no amenities while ATL gets you a 2br/2ba apartment in a gated community walk-in closets, etc. :lol:

Rent prices and housing prices are rising in Atlanta. I mean if you wanna live 20-30 minutes outside of the perimeter and sit in traffic then yea rent is cheap. I'm not about that life though.

Atlanta traffic didn't seem that bad to me, I'm in PA, the land of 2 lane highways. Every part of the parkway near a tunnel in Pittsburgh is bottleneck central. It's almost as if the people are scared to drive through it. You'll see clear skies on one side and congestion on the other.

If you don't have kids you can get a house for the low in the heart of the city in neighborhoods they are trying to Gentrify as the city has a ton of grants for people buying in those neighborhoods. They pretty much cleaned most of the hoods of the hard crime so you just have your petty stuff that happens in every major city and some blighted properties depending on the neighborhood, but you can get a new home in the heart of the city for the low, so its a low risk move where you at least have property you can rent out down the line if things dont transform fast enough for you. This is how a ton of hipsters are able to move in.

If you don't have kids you can get a house for the low in the heart of the city in neighborhoods they are trying to Gentrify as the city has a ton of grants for people buying in those neighborhoods. They pretty much cleaned most of the hoods of the hard crime so you just have your petty stuff that happens in every major city and some blighted properties depending on the neighborhood, but you can get a new home in the heart of the city for the low, so its a low risk move where you at least have property you can rent out down the line if things dont transform fast enough for you. This is how a ton of hipsters are able to move in.

Why no kids? Not good neighborhoods for children?

Your move with the Master's and experience will definitely pay out. How long is it going to take you to finish your Master's? Your work situation is sweet too working from home 3 days a week is dope. 

Congrats on buying on a house great hedge against rental inflation. The way ATL is getting gentrified those rental prices are going to sky rocket with the next 5 years. I did the same here in the DMV and bought a house it only thing that made sense to me. Why rent a 1000 sqft apartment when I can buy a home and have a mortgage of the same price or cheaper in most cases.

Yup I got my home in an area being Gentrified (or at least they are trying to gentrify), and my long term goal is to rent it out assuming the value doesn't sky rocket in 10 yrs and sell it with all of the development going on.

And after I get my masters I`m considering teaching a few Classes at the local Community Colleges, or the University I`m getting my Masters from Part Time in the evening, as long term my goal is to get into Education and then have my entrepreneur stuff on the side.

Atlanta traffic didn't seem that bad to me, I'm in PA, the land of 2 lane highways. Every part of the parkway near a tunnel in Pittsburgh is bottleneck central. It's almost as if the people are scared to drive through it. You'll see clear skies on one side and congestion on the other.

The traffic is terrible. I work with dudes that have a 2 hour commute home due to traffic. 20 hours a week sitting in traffic is not what I consider a constructive use of my time.

Schools aren't the best, and ATL has some Great Charter Schools but they are tough to get in because everyone who can't afford private school wants to send their kids there. IDK where you ar from but if you have lived in the hood then you won't have any issue in ATL, the area I live in is similar to like a Harlem or something, no drive bys and crap like that, only time you deal with crime is if you are already involved with it.

The traffic is terrible. I work with dudes that have a 2 hour commute home due to traffic. 20 hours a week sitting in traffic is not what I consider a constructive use of my time.

Many ATL companies are introducing Telecommuting options. I`m lucky to live intown and Work outside of the city so I`m always going the opposite direction of traffic the times I do have to go to the office.

Schools aren't the best, and ATL has some Great Charter Schools but they are tough to get in because everyone who can't afford private school wants to send their kids there. IDK where you ar from but if you have lived in the hood then you won't have any issue in ATL, the area I live in is similar to like a Harlem or something, no drive bys and crap like that, only time you deal with crime is if you are already involved with it.

I'm from "the hood" if we're classifying it as such. :lol: I'm comfortable in areas like that since I'm used to the environment. Mentally don't think I could live in them anymore because it pains me to see my people living in mediocrity.I heard that the schools are hit or miss in Fulton County and that if you want good schools then you have to live in Henry or Cobb County.

Last edited:
Yeah ATL traffic pretty bad. When I stay in a hotel downtown I could see the traffic from my room and there was traffic dam near all day, pretty crazy.

I'm blessed with a 20 minute commute to work, 30 minutes with traffic going the opposite direction of traffic. I hate traffic with a passion, I used to commute from PG to Herndon man it would take me a hour to get there in the morning and 2-2.5 hours to get home 210 sucks don't know how people live out there.

Last edited:

Dude some of those neighborhoods are crazy ghetto man. I'm not trying to have Tyrone coming through my window while I'm at work.

Now don't get me wrong people are buying those houses gutting the inside and turning them into baller cribs. I'm just not interested in living in those areas.

I'm from "the hood" if we're classifying it as such. :lol: I heard that the schools are hit or miss in Fulton County and that if you want good schools then you have to live in Henry or Cobb County.

I can't speak for Henry, but I know East Cobb is the place to be if mansions and supurb education is your thing, Kennesaw has a good school system and homes are affordable but is damn near the country lol.

In ATL Grady HS is the place to be and with ATL your kid can go to any school in town but if it isn't in their neighborhood district you have to provide transportation, so I hear about how Grady is overcrowded because everyone tries to send their kid there.

Dude some of those neighborhoods are crazy ghetto man. I'm not trying to have Tyrone coming through my window while I'm at work.

Now don't get me wrong people are buying those houses gutting the inside and turning them into baller cribs. I'm just not interested in living in those areas.

Lol thats poverty bruh, if someone doesn't rebuild nobody will. I rather build and take advantage of the cheap property than to be trying to move in when the area is hot and everything costs 2-300k more.

East ATL was literally the worst area in America from the 80s-90s, they tore down all the projects in ATL during and after the 96 olympics, and investors moved in and got homes for 50-90k that had good bones or bought even cheaper blighted properties and built from scratch, and now homes in the area are going for 4-600k.

The big thing in ATL now is the ATL Beltline prj which runs around the entire city, East ATL is pretty much done gentrifying, SE ATL is hot now, and now the West Side is being Gentrified on top of the new Benz Stadium and stuff being built. Most Cities are going with the Model you see in Europe where they are moving the low income people to the burbs and the cities are for the wealthy. Look at NYC, and heck in ATL you have Dekalb County which was considered The Black upper middle class Mecca of the south in the mid 90s early 2000s, then the housing crisis came among other things and now it has higher crime than the city of ATL.

Yea, they're doing that in Pittsburgh, they're gentrifying East Liberty since Google's office is there and pushing people further out. They're petitioning for a walking bridge and added busway stop in the neighboring area which isn't a great place right now so I only know how they'll push them people further out. A large apartment complex is trying to force the residents out to renovate and get higher rent.

But if traffic is that bad then I want no parts of the commute :lol: How's the MARTA, last I heard it sucked :lol: Sad thing is, w/ all this info I probably won't even move down there. Emory is tough to get into w/ PA school and my wife is hoping to get in. In the mean time, I'm working on this website project, in the talks w/ another project as well so I'm building my Web Dev and Project Management skills and experience.

Yea, they're doing that in Pittsburgh, they're gentrifying East Liberty since Google's office is there and pushing people further out. They're petitioning for a walking bridge and added busway stop in the neighboring area which isn't a great place right now so I only know how they'll push them people further out. A large apartment complex is trying to force the residents out to renovate and get higher rent.

But if traffic is that bad then I want no parts of the commute :lol: How's the MARTA, last I heard it sucked :lol: Sad thing is, w/ all this info I probably won't even move down there. Emory is tough to get into w/ PA school and my wife is hoping to get in. In the mean time, I'm working on this website project, in the talks w/ another project as well so I'm building my Web Dev and Project Management skills and experience.

My dad has been living in Pittsburgh for the last few yrs and hated it, he just moved to Dallas though.
MARTA is useless IMO which is another reason why areas are gentrifying, because there are intown neighborhoods that can be used to house all of the people in the booming Health and IT industry ATL has. I love ATL just off the fact there are people who look like me making big moves and it serves as inspiration because in most other major cities that isn't the case unfortunately so its harder to network as there are Good Ol Boy circles in most cities and I`m sure it can kill ones confidence. I`m about Ownership and ATL is the type of city where if you come from nothing you have an actual chance to grind and get to where you need to be, lol places like NYC are so damn high grinding in Manhattan = making 80k lol.

Last edited:
Terrible what the market crash did to striving black areas, seems as if places are bouncing back and they are pushing out the lower income people that came after the crash.

NYC is one of the last places I would want to live. My co worker was offered 120K to work at Bloomberg in NYC and turned it down ,said he would need 150K to even entertain it 
laugh.gif

My dad has been living in Pittsburgh for the last few yrs and hated it, he just moved to Dallas though.
MARTA is useless IMO which is another reason why areas are gentrifying, because there are intown neighborhoods that can be used to house all of the people in the booming Health and IT industry ATL has. I love ATL just off the fact there are people who look like me making big moves and it serves as inspiration because in most other major cities that isn't the case unfortunately so its harder to network as there are Good Ol Boy circles in most cities and I`m sure it can kill ones confidence. I`m about Ownership and ATL is the type of city where if you come from nothing you have an actual chance to grind and get to where you need to be, lol places like NYC are so damn high grinding in Manhattan = making 80k lol.

I'm sayin though. When my wife and I went to visit, we seen people looking like us in Maybachs and suits walking out of SunTrust looking important, u don't have that here in Pittsburgh. You are absolutely right about the "Good 'Ol Boys" circle, it's obvious here in Pittsburgh. All the major moves happening, only about 5 companies have something to do w/ it. It's stagnant for younger people unless you're from here and your folks have connections. No job growth. And I'm sure your pops did hate it out here :lol:

Terrible what the market crash did to striving black areas, seems as if places are bouncing back and they are pushing out the lower income people that came after the crash.
NYC is one of the last places I would want to live. My co worker was offered 120K to work at Bloomberg in NYC and turned it down ,said he would need 150K to even entertain it :lol: .

Yup folks on the North Side of the County were unaffected, but when I was getting my house I had to take a first time buyer class and they were telling us how before the crash all you needed was a 700 credit score and would get approved for a mortgage so EVERYONE was getting these No doc mortgages for homes they couldn't afford. I remember in the early 2000s it seemed like every month I was going to a house warming party. But when the economy tanked most of the Blacks had new money so folks who were laid off had no prior wealth to be able to keep their homes and ended up having to foreclose, all these investors came in and bought the foreclosed properties for pennies and rented them out to Section 8, and all of the section 8 tenants were people who lived in the hoods that were torn down in ATL, so literally the economic crisis was used to strategically push "unfavorables" to the burbs. If you ride through some of the ATL hoods being gentrified they are like Ghost towns, you dont see anyone under 30 really be sides a few D boys here and there, mainly just old homeless junkies roaming around, and they aren't a threat and down own property which makes it easy for investors to swoop in and just build stuff with little to no push back.

Lol thats poverty bruh, if someone doesn't rebuild nobody will. I rather build and take advantage of the cheap property than to be trying to move in when the area is hot and everything costs 2-300k more.

East ATL was literally the worst area in America from the 80s-90s, they tore down all the projects in ATL during and after the 96 olympics, and investors moved in and got homes for 50-90k that had good bones or bought even cheaper blighted properties and built from scratch, and now homes in the area are going for 4-600k.

The big thing in ATL now is the ATL Beltline prj which runs around the entire city, East ATL is pretty much done gentrifying, SE ATL is hot now, and now the West Side is being Gentrified on top of the new Benz Stadium and stuff being built. Most Cities are going with the Model you see in Europe where they are moving the low income people to the burbs and the cities are for the wealthy. Look at NYC, and heck in ATL you have Dekalb County which was considered The Black upper middle class Mecca of the south in the mid 90s early 2000s, then the housing crisis came among other things and now it has higher crime than the city of ATL.

Some of those areas been gentrifying for a minute though. I know they have a bunch of grant programs to get people to buy homes in Atlanta city areas to stabilize those communities but you have to live in the house like 5 years.

I looked at those cheap homes but I didn't feel like waiting 20 years to really make money off the property. Alot of people are buying those new development homes anyway since prices are reasonable.

Meh to even make a move you have to be in the right situation. IT isn't like business management or something where you can fluff your way into a high paying role. Only Right move starting out is usually some type of recent grad development program which EVERYONE is trying to get. senior IT Positions probably outnumber entry level roles 4 to 1 just do a quick search on any job site, and you are right salary is based on market, most of my homies went up north to get 60k starting salaries while in the south same job will offer junior roles 35-40k and in perspective 60k in DC is like 38-40k in ATL. It's not bad for a 21-22 yr old recent grad but it isn't the big money people tend to think everyone in IT makes. You gotta pay dues point blank unless your fam is the hiring manager for a gig or something lol.
Many developer positions in the bay area start you at $90k+. I earned $70k in sacramento my first year out of college (wasnt a developer tho), and it wasnt even an expensive city.

You can look up glassdoor and indeed. The numbers are fairly accurate.

Last edited:

Many developer positions in the bay area start you at $90k+. I earned $70k in sacramento my first year out of college (wasnt a developer tho), and it wasnt even an expensive city.

You can look up glassdoor and indeed. The numbers are fairly accurate.
Agreed, glassdoor is extremely accurate it is a good measurement to see if your salary is on par. Not sure why people think you can't see these numbers straight out.I'll never forget dudes in here telling me the salary amount I wanted to get straight out was "lofty" and never gonna happen
laugh.gif

Agreed, glassdoor is extremely accurate it is a good measurement to see if your salary is on par. Not sure why people think you can't see these numbers straight out.I'll never forget dudes in here telling me the salary amount I wanted to get straight out was "lofty" and never gonna happen
laugh.gif
Not only that, but most universities post placement and salary numbers for each graduating class. CS consistently ranks at the top for starting salary. IT/MIS isnt far behind either and earn more than other business majors.

These numbers are all over the internet, and as tech pros, we should be adept at being resourceful on it (google)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom