Information Technology (IT)

I've been noticing that many NT members are employed in the field of Information Technology. I work as a Network/System Administrator in the North Bay Area in Information Technology for a small tech company that services many local government entities, schools and other businesses around the SF Bay Area.

It's very rare to see sneakerheads in my line of work, so it's awesome to see some fellow 'tech geeks' on NikeTalk.

I created this thread to show appreciation for all of NT who share my field of work, good ol' Information Technology. Feel free to share thoughts, tips, advice, certifcation information, useful tools, job opportunities, etc. all related to IT.

Paging all IT on NT!

You're right tho not a lot of sneakerheads in IT, but when I got into the field I wanted to change that trend.  Proud to wear kobe 9 ems with a button up on Fridays lol

You're right tho not a lot of sneakerheads in IT, but when I got into the field I wanted to change that trend.  Proud to wear kobe 9 ems with a button up on Fridays lol
Feel me? It's crazy to see all these sneakerheads on IT saying they work in IT; it gives me hope
glasses.gif
. I wear AMs to work damn near everyday, occasionally I'll throw some boat shoes or some chukkas on for more business casual environments.

Would you guys consider MIS IT? Lol
Information Systems are definitely IT. What kind of systems you working with? Govt?

@shake  how do you like sys admin work? i was thinking about going into that but i'm currently an entry level sql developer
Sys admin work is good. Sometimes end users are hard to deal with, but for the most part it's fun and you always get to handle new equipment/toys.

Windows Server 2012 has some awesome new features that I'm finally getting my hands on. Just rolled out my first SQL instance on a new 2012 box too, I haven't had much experience with SQL other than end-user assistance until just recently. Upgrading SQL from 2005 to 2008 to circumvent the 4GB database limit was a pain, and that was my first taste of SQL management.

Sys admin work is nice because there's lots of variety.

What type of schooling do I need to get into IT?

WHERE would work for IT schooling? Tech schools?

You literally don't need any. Lots of IT comes from experience, and most of what you will learn comes from on the job experience.

I graduated with a BA in Fitness & Sports Management. After I graduated college, I began studying for Cisco certifications (which is the network infrastructure powerhouse in IT). There are many testing locations for IT certifications, especially Cisco.

I'm sure there are tech schools and some colleges have IT degrees, but there are also just training programs that will prep you for certifications. My local junior college offers a two semester training program for CCNA, but I chose to study for it on my own.

I currently do desktop support for my company. This was the first company to give me my break in to IT last August and I've enjoyed it thus far.

You literally don't need any. Lots of IT comes from experience, and most of what you will learn comes from on the job experience.

I graduated with a BA in Fitness & Sports Management. After I graduated college, I began studying for Cisco certifications (which is the network infrastructure powerhouse in IT). There are many testing locations for IT certifications, especially Cisco.

I'm sure there are tech schools and some colleges have IT degrees, but there are also just training programs that will prep you for certifications. My local junior college offers a two semester training program for CCNA, but I chose to study for it on my own.
Kind of similar to me, I graduated with Health/P.E/Kinesiology degree, just had some computer background in high school when I took networking 3hrs a day at Vocational school in lieu of regular high school classes. Got a job, ended up getting my certs (A+, Sec +, Win 7, etc) and just been doing this since (we also do audio visual), but I'm tired of it. It just pays very well for where I live so I would be stupid to quit until I can get a comparably paying job in the field I want to be in, so I'm going to do a distance Master's program to help aid me in that.

As for sneaks at work, very lax business casual dress code anyways (I have on graphite Levis 501s, navy based striped RL button up, and navy Sebago Wentworth's now), so I find a way to throw some Air Maxes or something in every once in a while. They don't care really, as long as we get all our work done and keep everything up and running which we do.

Last edited:
IT manager for small optics/photonics company here. Getting my bachelors in it next spring looking to get into a leadership program since I'm still young (22). I would recommend trying to obtain your bachelors because if you are trying to get to the highest position like lets say cio there will always be a degree requirement

Last edited:
I currently do desktop support for my company. This was the first company to give me my break in to IT last August and I've enjoyed it thus far.
This is my first IT job as well. About a month after I graduated I got hired, and have been employed a little over a year now. I love it, I enjoy IT. Gotta sponge up as much information and experience as possible. Hiren's Boot CD is an awesome tool if you haven't heard it already, great swiss army knife for desktop issues.
IT manager for small optics/photonics company here. Getting my bachelors in it next spring looking to get into a leadership program since I'm still young (22)
22 and managing IT already is an awesome start. Where are you located?

Support Analyst for A Point of Sale Software Company. I troubleshoot any issues Restaurants/Hotels are having.

I seen a database training on Groupon retail was like $3595 but on sale for $99, forreal could I learn IT off that? Was thinking bout copping it just cause and seeing what happens.

Kind of similar to me, I graduated with Health/P.E/Kinesiology degree, just had some computer background in high school when I took networking 3hrs a day at Vocational school in lieu of regular high school classes. Got a job, ended up getting my certs (A+, Sec +, Win 7, etc) and just been doing this since (we also do audio visual), but I'm tired of it. It just pays very well for where I live so I would be stupid to quit until I can get a comparably paying job in the field I want to be in, so I'm going to do a distance Master's program to help aid me in that.

As for sneaks at work, very lax business casual dress code anyways (I have on graphite Levis 501s, navy based striped RL button up, and navy Sebago Wentworth's now), so I find a way to throw some Air Maxes or something in every once in a while. They don't care really, as long as we get all our work done and keep everything up and running which we do.
I grew up playing computer games, which led to me eventually wanting and managing my own servers.

You have lots of certs, those are always pluses. I only have my CCNA and CMNA (Meraki) so far, but want to grab some VMWare certs in the near future. IT is definitely lucrative, which is also another reason I love this field of work. What don't you like about IT?

What is your career goal once you leave IT?

I mix Air Maxes into my work wardrobe quite often. My company is outsourced for IT, so I'm usually at a different client everyday. Depending on what type of environment I'm in, I may have to dress a bit more business casual. But for the most part some 501s, a polo shirt and some AMs are perfect work attire.

This is my first IT job as well. About a month after I graduated I got hired, and have been employed a little over a year now. I love it, I enjoy IT. Gotta sponge up as much information and experience as possible. Hiren's Boot CD is an awesome tool if you haven't heard it already, great swiss army knife for desktop issues.
22 and managing IT already is an awesome start. Where are you located?

It's okay. I'm not a manger of people I just manage the infrastructure which is really small. Desktop support for 30 pcs, network administration for us, server administration, IT research for any projects or new trends, and some administrative function. I do literally everything IT related for our company but since we are small it's a lot easier and I have a pretty good size budget

I seen a database training on Groupon retail was like $3595 but on sale for $99, forreal could I learn IT off that? Was thinking bout copping it just cause and seeing what happens.
I don't deal with databases much, but @Minhsanity said above that he's a SQL developer too. He would be able to advise more about proper types of database training.

Yea my royal blue Air Max Tailwinds get some run too. I just don't want to to do it anymore, don't want to take anymore certs tests and don't feel like progressing/changing into server admin or network admin, we do a bit of that stuff anyways since our domain runs off the backbone of another but I'd like to get into somethnig around sports. Like I said, just got this job first and ending up getting the certs and raises to the point if I started over now for HPE stuff, I'd be like a teacher/coach and making like half of what I make. Still iffy even on the Master's though or if I should just get an MBA instead

Wouldn't get a degree in it since it has a career cert and they offer classes on it free here on post a few times a year, but project management somewhat interests me too and could keep me around the Military which is an environment I much prefer to private sector.

Last edited:
It's okay. I'm not a manger of people I just manage the infrastructure which is really small. Desktop support for 30 pcs, network administration for us, server administration, IT research for any projects or new trends, and some administrative function. I do literally everything IT related for our company but since we are small it's a lot easier and I have a pretty good size budget
30 PCs is a pretty large company to manage yourself. What type of servers are you running? Any virtual hosts? ESXi is always fun to play with.

What kind of network infrastructure do you have in place?

Are there any XP users that have panicked since Microsoft sent out their scare tactic message saying XP isn't support anymore? (lulz)

Yea my royal blue Air Max Tailwinds get some run too. I just don't want to to do it anymore, don't want to take anymore certs tests and don't feel like progressing/changing into server admin or network admin, we do a bit of that stuff anyways since our domain runs off the backbone of another but I'd like to get into somethnig around sports. Like I said, just got this job first and ending up getting the certs and raises to the point if I started over now for HPE stuff, I'd be like a teacher/coach and making like half of what I make. Still iffy even on the Master's though or if I should just get an MBA instead

Wouldn't get a degree in it since it has a career cert and they offer classes on it free here on post a few times a year, but project management somewhat interests me too and could keep me around the Military which is an environment I much prefer to private sector.
Project management interests me as well. Although PM is cool, I like being technically sound too. I don't want to get into PM and then lose my tech skills by not getting my hands dirty anymore.

Not really IT but a tech field... I do custom database design / programming / consulting

No dress code unless im meeting with clients on site.

Sneakers or slides almost err day :nthat:

I don't deal with databases much, but @Minhsanity said above that he's a SQL developer too. He would be able to advise more about proper types of database training.
i actually only had one semester of school in ms access and database when i graduated in 2012. I learned SQL on the job here at my company and have been doing that for almost 2 years now. With databases and SQL, you can really learn with hands on training or even getting books to help you pick it up. 

Not really IT but a tech field... I do custom database design / programming / consulting

No dress code unless im meeting with clients on site.

Sneakers or slides almost err day
nthat.gif
slides ?! 
glasses.gif

my company just implemented a shorts pass.. if you donate $50 to our company charity, you can wear shorts until labor day. otherwise, we have a casual dress code year round.

Back
Top Bottom