Information Technology (IT)

Anyone in IT ever think about transitioning to the business side doing like a market intelligence or market research role?

Currently on assignment to do just this... defining business intelligence and the tenets for a successful implementation for a number of products.

If you have a low tolerance for ignorance (which is understandable in some cases) and downright stupidity, I do NOT recommend it :lol:

I have a comp sci degree and people are asking for me to create graphics that explain business intelligence and stuff like OLAP in an easy to understand format :smh: x :lol:

SAP MM Consultant

Is that considered IT? :nerd:

If you're procuring IT stuff, then yeah. :lol:

Last edited:
NT stay coming through, I've been thinking heavily of going back into IT did it all the way through HS and freshman year of college but then just quit switched to business management but last 2 weeks I've been thinking of starting to get my Certs but I don't quite know where to even start at.

WOW

Feel so lost, cold and lonely after the FIRST chapter of this ICND1 100-101 book
frown.gif
What topics?

:lol:

Chapter 1: TCP/IP and OSI networking models

The terminology has intimidated the ever-living **** out of me

I'm hoping continuing to read on will clarify

If you've never done basic networking, you might wan't to pick up another book for the understanding. That top down approach book posted earlier would be a good resource to have alongside the ccna stuff.

:lol:

Chapter 1: TCP/IP and OSI networking models

The terminology has intimidated the ever-living **** out of me

I'm hoping continuing to read on will clarify

The OSI model is pretty logical just dont let it intimidate you its stuff you probably kinda already know. We used this video in one of my classes

maybe it will help you understand some networking stuff

The most helpful website EVER for me is no longer available, but can be accessed using archive.org which i will link you to. It helped me the most with subnetting, but it has the majority of questions and answers directly from the ICND exams. Some of the questions on my test were identical to the questions/answers on this website, I highlight advise you to use this resource while archive.org still has it available;

ICND1/CCENT

https://web.archive.org/web/20140213111739/http://www.9tut.net/

ICND 2/CCNA

https://web.archive.org/web/20140625103259/http://www.9tut.com/

Subnetting Tutorial

https://web.archive.org/web/20130927211234/http://www.9tut.com/subnetting-tutorial

Last edited:
learn2subnet.com (i think) used to be like a 5 minute straightforward presentation on subnetting, made it easy to understand. Its down the last i checked, I wonder if that's still out there somewhere.

Last edited:
Still trying to get into this field. Slow process. Going to go back to school and get my MS in Information Systems when I get my finances in order. Don't want to until I can afford to pay out of pocket.

Going to take the java course on Ed2go soon so I can get that under my belt.

My Mike Myers CompTIA A+ cert book should be coming in today. Hoping the decision to scale back expectations will help in the bigger picture

My Mike Myers CompTIA A+ cert book should be coming in today. Hoping the decision to scale back expectations will help in the bigger picture

You might regret getting that book tbh the a+ is kind of a waste, yes certain low level IT jobs may require a certification but no jobs that will be actually get you to a good wage ie 50k+ will benefit from A+ and most of the stuff in the A+ books or tests are common sense. Support will never be where the money is, speaking with my uncle who has been in the industry for almost 10 years and has a bachelors from a respected university what I would say is the best thing to try to get a knowledge of is ITIL standards. You can pick up a+ type learning just by using a computer and being investigative but ITIL is something i see all the times on job postings and it seems to be something that will be even more required for people pursuing management and higher level jobs.

I read a+ book in HS and outside of printers (which I never really worked on a laser printer until I started working in IT) was common sense.

I do agree that the A+ cert is a waste, but some Agency's require you to have a Comptia cert (A+/Net+/Sec+). I believe Sec+ is the one that is usually required.

Is there anyone in the Las Vegas area in IT that can help a lady get a job in IT? Its hard as I don't know what to find a good paying job and even harder as a woman in IT field.I'm also looking in the LA area as well. Seems to be way more positions in California. I have my A+,Net+,Sec+ and win7 certs but still its brutal for me to get at least an intro job for hands on experience.

what's the best way to get your foot in the door?

I've been studying for my A+ for now...

but all of these jobs i've been applying for seems like you need at least some type of clearance. 

i'm in the medical field at the moment, trying to network with the IT people here so see if they could get me on the other side somehow.

Last edited:
Just graduated from St.John's with a bachelor's in cyber security. I'm working on certifications and so far I have security+ and I'm going to get network + and certified ethical hacker. I've applied to a couple of jobs and the only one that I've heard from is 1 hour and 30 mins to 2 hours from me. The struggle is real. [emoji]128532[/emoji][emoji]128532[/emoji]

Just graduated from St.John's with a bachelor's in cyber security. I'm working on certifications and so far I have security+ and I'm going to get network + and certified ethical hacker. I've applied to a couple of jobs and the only one that I've heard from is 1 hour and 30 mins to 2 hours from me. The struggle is real. [emoji]128532[/emoji][emoji]128532[/emoji]

Try looking for IT Risk positions at accounting/consulting firms. The firm I'm interning at now, though I'm in the tax department, has 2 interns in the NYC office doing that. We had a bunch when we were at training when I saw the people across all the offices. IT Risk is huge now, I can't help you with what the requirements they look for unfortunately. But both students are undergrads from Baruch.

Last edited:
If you guys are willing to move look at the leadership development programs by big time corporations.
Best thing out for recent grads. I hope to have a rotational position locked down before my graduation in December.

Most of these programs pay for your Masters and have you do 2-3 rotations in the company to different positions.

My friend is in a rotational program with MWV and they are paying for his housing while he is in the program.

3 years of rent free living in different cities 
pimp.gif
 He also got a promotion within the first 6 months.

^ also curious about this. Any online AD simulators or anything? I need some hands on time with it, most jobs want some AD experience.

^^ Just setup a virtual machine using server 2012 or the like. You can get any server editions free from dreamspark. And use Virtualbox, or avast ye matey a VMware copy.

Back
Top Bottom