Information Technology (IT)

Unless you plan on doing the governance, compliance, or information assurance stuff you need to have decent networking and linux skills to do IT security.

Probably would be better to take the Network+ then take the Security+.

Can you point me in the right direction? I graduated from GMU with an Info Systems and Ops mgmt degree and a minor in IT. I just cant seem to catch a break.....
Honestly the best advice I can give is to apply for everything. Go on to company websites and apply to every single job that is for recent grads in your field. In this area defense contractors (Booz allen, Northrop Grumman, Raytheon, Lockheed Martin, etc) will kind of be the easiest route, because there are so many positions. I say kind of, because about 50% require a TS SCI clearance for recent grads which is ridiculous. Still apply for them anyway, you never know they might sponsor you.

Also, if there are any career fairs going on at universities attend them. Career fairs are the easiest way to land jobs. I received 6 offers before graduation (december 2014) , and it came from applying to everything and attending career fairs. 

I am not sure how plentiful jobs are for Info Sys majors, but I am sure you can land something in the DMV area.

Last edited:
Do you speak French? That could be a plus.

California has an extremely high cost of living. Probably not the place to move if you're initially getting into the IT work space.

D.C., Maryland and Virginia has a lot of jobs but they require security clearances possibly. Cost of living in the nexus is high but the south or north you move things get cheaper.

There are a lot of options: Dallas, Houston, Chicago, NYC, Tampa, Phoenix, Seattle, etc.

Certs are just H.R. Validation tools (doesn't take away from the knowledge obtained).

As far as difficulty, some are more difficult depending on the level of expertise and technical knowledge needed like CCIE, OSCP, VMWare Design, etc. The best thing to do is start out with the CompTIA Trinity of Net+, A+ and Sec+. Those are a good foundation. And then depending on your interests, obtain certifications that accentuate what you're doing.

If you want to be a project manager then PMP, CISSP and a MBA would be great. If you want to be a system administrator then MCSE, A+, Security+, Linux+, VCP would all be great. If you want to be a network administrator then CCNA/CCNP, Security+ and Network+ are good. Security experts should probably get Sec+, CEH, CISSP, GSEC, OSCP, OSWP, CISA, CISM, etc.

Again, these are just things to get you through the door for an interview. Though don't be a paper tiger or you'll get destroyed in the technical interview.
How hard is it to get the three main CompTIA certifications? Do you think it's possible to get them while in school or would it be better to get them when I finish school?

How hard is it to get the three main CompTIA certifications? Do you think it's possible to get them while in school or would it be better to get them when I finish school?

It depends on experience and knowledge really. It's probably better to study when you're not concentrating on multiple things like school, etc unless you're a great multi-tasker.

I've taken the Network+ exam three times, passed all three times in 2006, 2010 and 2014, and Security+ four times, failed my first time in 2006, passed in 2006, 2011 and 2014.

I failed the Security+ my first time. I took the exam a year after switching to IT in the military and a lot of the concepts and terminology was new to me.

Every time I've taken the exams later, I've aced them in the 800s (0-900 grading scale). I have 10 years of IT experience though.

If you haven't worked in the industry and your studies haven't dipped too deeply into the topics covered in the exam, I'd recommend reading the self-study guide and doing practice exams (Skillsoft, Measureup, Boson, etc).

Besides the entry-level Fundamentals you learn, the main perk of having these certifications is in obtaining DoD IT job positions. It's the only reason why I have them. To work in certain technician roles, the DoD requires Information Assurance and operating system certifications. Example for me to be a Tier-2 network administrator, I'd need CCNA and Security+. In order to be a Tier-3 network administrator, I might need CCNP/CCIE and CASP or CISSP.

Better certifications are CCNA, PMP, CISSP, VCP, MCSE. CISSP, PMP, OSCP and CCIE are great HR eye raisers and help in obtaining six-figure jobs (though they're not necessary if you have great experience and connections).

Last edited:
Certs are Garbage you can Lie an say you have many , nobody checks, you can print out Certs an put your name on them

Certs are Garbage you can Lie an say you have many , nobody checks, you can print out Certs an put your name on them

I said a few posts back that they're a HR attention getter, something to help pad your resume'.

The CompTIA are a waste of money if you DO NOT work for the DoD.

Having said that, I don't think they're garbage. Maybe a little over rated. Some use them as over compensation for not having experience. But like I posted above, by reading the Security+ self-study guide I was able to learn some extremely useful terminology, concepts, etc.

As far as checking, that's why there is a technical interview. Some companies do this, some do not. By conducting the technical interview, it helps to filter out the paper tigers.

Also, a person applying to a job position can release their Microsoft, ISC, Cisco, CompTIA, etc certification transcripts. Again, a competent HR will know what to do.

At the end of the day, experience >>>

But that doesn't detract from College education or Vendor certifications.

Last edited:
Definitely don't think certs are garbage. Some certs demand a minimum salary (100K)  just because you have it. Same with government clearances, they all serve a purpose.

Last edited:

Not to beat a dead horse but do you think a major reseller would hire someone claiming to have a CCIE without checking?

It's the same in any other industry. You don't have to have ASE Or specific car manufacturer certifications but some shops require it in order to get in the door. Also by having the certifications, it provides proof that you have specific skills and can possibly lead toward your negotiating higher pay. You best believe if I have a CCIE, I'm demanding 100K+.

I studied for and got my security + cert in two weeks doing self study. But then again I majored in security.

Not to derail but I saw PMP and CISSP mentioned. If you don't meet the professional experience requirements then check out the CAPM and CIPP respectively.

You can still sit for the CISSP and become an (ISC)2 associate. Basically means you passed the test but don't have the full experience yet. You'll be fully recognized after you get 5 years of collective exp in 2 domains.

If you don't have the technical background to start in IT with a security focus, then look into getting into Privacy. Privacy and Security go hand in hand and you'll get some exposure to Security from a policy standpoint at least.

Definitely don't think certs are garbage. Some certs demand a minimum salary (100K)  just because you have it. Same with government clearances, they all serve a purpose.

In serious industries, some jobs require you to be licensed...by passing an examination (certification test) and by completing a specific number of hours in the field.

Problem is the IT Industry doesn't have state or federal mandates for licenses. That's why some jobs require the certifications and have technical interviews.

Again, no one is saying you have to have these certifications but they definitely help and are a great way to learn especially if you're trying to make a jump to another specialization but don't do it at work.

I studied for and got my security + cert in two weeks doing self study. But then again I majored in security.
It depends on experience and knowledge really. It's probably better to study when you're not concentrating on multiple things like school, etc unless you're a great multi-tasker.

I've taken the Network+ exam three times, passed all three times in 2006, 2010 and 2014, and Security+ four times, failed my first time in 2006, passed in 2006, 2011 and 2014.

I failed the Security+ my first time. I took the exam a year after switching to IT in the military and a lot of the concepts and terminology was new to me.

Every time I've taken the exams later, I've aced them in the 800s (0-900 grading scale). I have 10 years of IT experience though.

If you haven't worked in the industry and your studies haven't dipped too deeply into the topics covered in the exam, I'd recommend reading the self-study guide and doing practice exams (Skillsoft, Measureup, Boson, etc).

Besides the entry-level Fundamentals you learn, the main perk of having these certifications is in obtaining DoD IT job positions. It's the only reason why I have them. To work in certain technician roles, the DoD requires Information Assurance and operating system certifications. Example for me to be a Tier-2 network administrator, I'd need CCNA and Security+. In order to be a Tier-3 network administrator, I might need CCNP/CCIE and CASP or CISSP.

Better certifications are CCNA, PMP, CISSP, VCP, MCSE. CISSP, PMP, OSCP and CCIE are great HR eye raisers and help in obtaining six-figure jobs (though they're not necessary if you have great experience and connections).
I appreciate the replies!

In our IT major, we touch upon some of these concepts in courses. We do have a risk management course, a networking course, business process management course, etc. So I think I wouldn't find the certs to have a steep learning curve. 

I think I'm going to focus on getting those in the new year since my school schedule gets a lot easier next semester.

How much do the certs usually cost? 

In serious industries, some jobs require you to be licensed...by passing an examination (certification test) and by completing a specific number of hours in the field.

Problem is the IT Industry doesn't have state or federal mandates for licenses. That's why some jobs require the certifications and have technical interviews.

Again, no one is saying you have to have these certifications but they definitely help and are a great way to learn especially if you're trying to make a jump to another specialization but don't do it at work.
Im definitely getting a bunch of certs, hell all the defense contractors give you between 5K-15K per year for education might as well use it.

Not sure which ones to start with, but I am thinking Sec+ then CISSP.

I'm starting to read this. Good start? Should I also b looking into getting the net+ cert?? I don't have any actual work experience but dabble on my computer and helped other people with network connections. The basics...
View media item 1256527

Last edited:
Im definitely getting a bunch of certs, hell all the defense contractors give you between 5K-15K per year for education might as well use it.

Not sure which ones to start with, but I am thinking Sec+ then CISSP.

Yeah, and those same contractors will give you a raise for certain certifications like CISSP or CCIE. Great thing about contracting is you can jump from position to position as long as there isn't a clause in your contract.

I have a buddy Nick. He's a former Marine Officer. He was a communication officer. He got out and got some position with Harris. He was a little unhappy because he was making power points and what not. Dude went HAM to get his R&S CCIE. He jumped contracting positions and easily commands $100K+ in the DMV area.

I'm starting school here soon.. So far I have a choice between; systems security
Systems Cyber security
Networking administration..

Question is.. Which is the best route?

Started studying Java right now, a little more complicated than I thought it'd be but it's something to learn that has longevity. Still studying for my CAPM hopefully I have it before I move from Pittsburgh. Opportunities here are slim to none.

Just had a job shadow at IBM yesterday in the Security/malware area.

Was pretty cool. :pimp:

Just got a contract job installing laptops desktops and printers for state farm... contract is up in april...

Just did a career change from security Officer to IT. I got my A+ & net+ and will obtain my security+ plus next year..

I was about to take my degree in screenwriting but thats not gonna pay off for real so I guess im gonna go with Computer science as a major since im basing my future upon it... sucks cause i only had a few more classes for that screenwriting degree

Just got a contract job installing laptops desktops and printers for state farm... contract is up in april...

Just did a career change from security Officer to IT. I got my A+ & net+ and will obtain my security+ plus next year..

I was about to take my degree in screenwriting but thats not gonna pay off for real so I guess im gonna go with Computer science as a major since im basing my future upon it... sucks cause i only had a few more classes for that screenwriting degree

Finish out the screen writing degree. Then just get higher level certs.

Finish out the screen writing degree. Then just get higher level certs.
I went on a job interview a few weeks ago and they asked me how my certs correlated with my degree.. i basically told them computers make the world go around and me being an artist appreciated what the tech world has to offer...

Thanks

Last edited:
Hoping to take the A+ before the end of the year. Last chapter of Mike Meyers book to go before I get into the exam cram books. Hoping to get my N+ shortly thereafter :smile:

Back
Top Bottom