Information Technology (IT)

That's ok man, other opportunities out there. Just take the lesson from each interview, and also practice interviews. I'm a terrible interviewer myself.

CASP doesn’t have the reputation sadly. CompTIA tried. They created the test in 2011. We’re almost 10 years later. They’ve also developed a continuum with Linux+>Security+>CySA+>Pentest+>CASP.

Pentest is actually legit. Better than at least the older CEH exams (not sure about now).

I think the reputation of the CISSP is higher than the product or test. It’s basically a security management certification. That’s it. Make decisions with security in mind.

CASP is actually more technical. Dealing more with security architectures. At least V2. V1 was Security+ on steroids.

If someone asked me what certs were worthwhile now...I’d say Cloud or automation.

But CISSP and PMP will always have high ROI. Get you in many doors.
Personally IDGAF about the rep CASP has, it checks the box for the government people. Passed it so I am NEVER getting my CISSP, they can't pay me enough to go study for that exam. My employee goals for the year don't include any certs, cool. Probably take CompTia Linx exam next year to keep the bonuses coming.
Started my programming courses yesterday, sucks that there are zero in-person classes though. Not even video classes either.
They even scrapped our SCRUM training indefinitely.
DAMN no video classes either they really want ya'll to sink or swim.

That's ok man, other opportunities out there. Just take the lesson from each interview, and also practice interviews. I'm a terrible interviewer myself.
Don't worry about it man you will get the next one.
idk bruhs im really down at the point whre i think ima quit chasing jobs
figure out how to employ myself

was thinking of doing some intense aws training the next couple months and do consulting with ppl using aws security.
anyone in a similar space?

Started my programming courses yesterday, sucks that there are zero in-person classes though. Not even video classes either.
They even scrapped our SCRUM training indefinitely.
They told us about 50% fail and drop out within the first couple months.
my masters program also is full online

most important thing is establishing partners to work together on issues with and creating communication with ur instructor for when u need help.

best of luck

I would say pretty decent but maybe needs work.I had my friend look over it and fix it up for me but I plan on going to a service to help me fix it and my LinkedIn
I assume you have no experience but any certs? I've been a part of hiring entry level help desk folks and the only thing that mattered to me was customer service and the ability to figure it out. Once you have that I can teach the tech, but people are tougher. Also I never cared if it seemed like this person would leave in a year or two but I guess I was unique in that way because I understood this role should be a stepping stone. My managers kept expecting long termers.

idk bruhs im really down at the point whre i think ima quit chasing jobs
figure out how to employ myself

was thinking of doing some intense aws training the next couple months and do consulting with ppl using aws security.
anyone in a similar space?
You have a job now right, no need to chase a job unless you can't take it where you are now. Otherwise just update something minor on your resume on the various sites and recruiters will call you. In the meantime look into doing your own thing, I been kicking it around for a while but decided no. Going to do some other things for building for retirement, perhaps double back and try and start my own thing.

I would say pretty decent but maybe needs work.I had my friend look over it and fix it up for me but I plan on going to a service to help me fix it and my LinkedIn
You have experience with AD, Exchange etc?If not, setup a VM and install an iteration of windows server, create a domain controller and install AD. Setup some test users and play around with folder permissions and look into group policy. That way you can add these items to your resume and have something to talk about in the interview. You'll also have some understanding of virtualization when you download VMware work station or virtual box and create the VM which is something else to add to your resume. This will also show that you're a self starter cause if they ask where did you utilize these items, you can say you have a fully functional lab.

I assume you have no experience but any certs? I've been a part of hiring entry level help desk folks and the only thing that mattered to me was customer service and the ability to figure it out. Once you have that I can teach the tech, but people are tougher. Also I never cared if it seemed like this person would leave in a year or two but I guess I was unique in that way because I understood this role should be a stepping stone. My managers kept expecting long termers.

No experience and I don't have any certs yet but I'm taking my 1002 A+ exam in two weeks so I'll have my A+ soon. I'm definitely looking at a help desk position as a stepping stone and don't intend on being stuck in the position like I hear that many people are, but I just never thought it would be this much trouble trying to get one. It's supposed to be an entry level position, but on the applications they always want a year and sometimes more worth of experience. I sometimes get discouraged by that but I'm at the point where I'm just going to apply for any help desk position at this point.

What does your resume look like, someone just emailed me about a helpdesk job. Located in the DC/VA/MD area.
My resume looks very basic as I don't have any work experience yet. So I just have some IT related soft skills and capabilities there, my work experience , and my education. Once I get my A+ in a few weeks, I'm going to try to add that to make it look better.

You have experience with AD, Exchange etc?If not, setup a VM and install an iteration of windows server, create a domain controller and install AD. Setup some test users and play around with folder permissions and look into group policy. That way you can add these items to your resume and have something to talk about in the interview. You'll also have some understanding of virtualization when you download VMware work station or virtual box and create the VM which is something else to add to your resume. This will also show that you're a self starter cause if they ask where did you utilize these items, you can say you have a fully functional lab.
I have knowledge of AD, but no experience in using it. I actually added that i have AD experience as well as experience with virtualization on my resume to make it look butter, but perhaps the problem is that my resume needs work as far as formatting goes. I have VirtualBox set up on my laptop so I'm gonna play around with it like you said. I appreciate the info.

I have knowledge of AD, but no experience in using it. I actually added that i have AD experience as well as experience with virtualization on my resume to make it look butter, but perhaps the problem is that my resume needs work as far as formatting goes. I have VirtualBox set up on my laptop so I'm gonna play around with it like you said. I appreciate the info.
Yeah, you definitely want to do that. You don't want to put something on your resume that you can't explain. We were hiring for a tier 1 position some years back and this cat put that he had all types of experience (365, comvault etc.). I Interviewed hombre and he couldn't explain a damn thing. He was looking at his own resume confused as if it wasn't his resume :lol: Asking me where did I see that he has experience with VSphere. I'm like bro, it's on your resume :rofl: Hombre had the nerve to call me too asking if we made a decision on the position like 2 days later.

Yeah, you definitely want to do that. You don't want to put something on your resume that you can't explain. We were hiring for a tier 1 position some years back and this cat put that he had all types of experience (365, comvault etc.). I Interviewed hombre and he couldn't explain a damn thing. He was looking at his own resume confused as if it wasn't his resume :lol: Asking me where did I see that he has experience with VSphere. I'm like bro, it's on your resume :rofl: Hombre had the nerve to call me too asking if we made a decision on the position like 2 days later.
:rofl: :rofl:
Roughly how old was this guy?

:rofl: :rofl:
How old was this guy?
I don't remember, but I do know he was older than me. I was livid with HR too cause at the time they sent us like 4 "candidates" who were wild. One guy listed that he had experience with administering apple products. We use xenmobile to manage and administer phones including iPhones , so I'm thinking he may be familiar with some kind of mdm solutions etc, this cat was like "I know how to back up the Iphone to the cloud and store and transfer music".

Got it. Yeah I'm not lying that heavily :lol: . I know what AD is and what it's used for, just haven't worked on it yet but I will get to it for sure.

Do ya'll think the Network+ and Sec+ is a must for an entry level help desk position? I was initially set on getting my A+, Network+, Sec+ and then applying for work, but I thought I'd start now since I pretty much have my A+.

Not a must, but it will set you apart, and if you can knock them out then go ahead. A+ is probably the toughest because it's two part and a boatload of information that won't all be on the test, but you don't know where they pull from. Also tip to remember for Comptia tests if you don't know the answer, don't answer or select anything till the end. It's set to be adaptable so if you get a question wrong, it keeps feeding you questions from that category.

Do ya'll think the Network+ and Sec+ is a must for an entry level help desk position? I was initially set on getting my A+, Network+, Sec+ and then applying for work, but I thought I'd start now since I pretty much have my A+.
What area are you in? We may be able to assist you with finding something.

Certs will definitely help and you might also want to try a little hands on experience as well, maybe looking up videos on YouTube of troubleshooting a machine

Not a must, but it will set you apart, and if you can knock them out then go ahead. A+ is probably the toughest because it's two part and a boatload of information that won't all be on the test, but you don't know where they pull from. Also tip to remember for Comptia tests if you don't know the answer, don't answer or select anything till the end. It's set to be adaptable so if you get a question wrong, it keeps feeding you questions from that category.
That’s good to know that the A+ is the toughest. I passed the first part, just waiting to take the next one in two weeks

I didn’t know that about how they deliver questions though. I’ve listened to people and their test experiences and they never mentioned that . How’d you come to figuring that out?

What area are you in? We may be able to assist you with finding something.

Certs will definitely help and you might also want to try a little hands on experience as well, maybe looking up videos on YouTube of troubleshooting a machine
As I climbed the ranks, I was going to figure out which area I may want to go in. Right now, I’m leaning towards networking but still undecided.

I’ve been working on troubleshooting and all that. Took apart a lil cheap computer I bought not too long ago and just been messing around with it .

That’s good to know that the A+ is the toughest. I passed the first part, just waiting to take the next one in two weeks

I didn’t know that about how they deliver questions though. I’ve listened to people and their test experiences and they never mentioned that . How’d you come to figuring that out?
From a WGU professor that oversees those courses and certs, it's a fairly new process. I guess as a response to people saying the tests were easy?

Back
Top Bottom