Information Technology (IT)

One additional item about the interview, they asked if I had my Security+. I said no I let it lapse, however I have my CASP. "I am never taking that exam again." At least the interviewer I spoke to said I would still need to get my Security+, but they will pay for it. I said, but the CASP is a higher level exam. He said yeah it's a requirement. I can only hope that I hid the disappointment in my facial expression, might be a dealbreaker. So you are basically saying yeah come back down and take this lower level exam. But I just took the higher level exam and the material is still new, it's the newest CASP released.
Brah!! I was frustrated by this post.

I “think” CASP’s reputation is still not th CISSP killer they intended it to be. But it is definitely a higher level cert and test than Sec+. Sec+ is just terms and concepts. CASP is the application of using applicable technology and techniques.

I have Sec+, CySA+ and CASP. There is definitely a continuum to cybersecurity baked in there. But seriously…whoever was the interviewer probably doesn’t know the difference between IAT level 1 to 3.

Now…a CASP vs OCSP or OCSE. L O L on paper…

The techniques and tactics you learn in the latter will definitely help you navigate and avoid the defacto standards in CASP.

Brah!! I was frustrated by this post.

I “think” CASP’s reputation is still not th CISSP killer they intended it to be. But it is definitely a higher level cert and test than Sec+. Sec+ is just terms and concepts. CASP is the application of using applicable technology and techniques.

I have Sec+, CySA+ and CASP. There is definitely a continuum to cybersecurity baked in there. But seriously…whoever was the interviewer probably doesn’t know the difference between IAT level 1 to 3.

Now…a CASP vs OCSP or OCSE. L O L on paper…

The techniques and tactics you learn in the latter will definitely help you navigate and avoid the defacto standards in CASP.
Bruh, I feel your pain, recruiter still said we are a go for the second interview, the one that last 5/6 hours. I will definitely get some confirmation on whether I still need a Security+ eventhough I have my CASP. If so salary going to need to get a bump for that extra time I am going to have to spend studying, because they certainly aren't going to let me devote time during work. I could see if the cert benefitted me in the long run sure I will take time out to study, but it doesn't.

Basically saying oh you got your CASP, yeah but we need you to go get your A+ for this job. I know it is an extreme but couldn't think of another Comptia exam.

I know it can depend on the job itself (and what part you choose) but how far down the rabbit hole does it go in terms of staying up to date with certs. and exams? The thought of never being done.. like ever was always a turn off in the teaching field.

Unfortunately you left that only to come to the same industry. We are "technically" never done always a new cert on the horizon. If not then you need to do continuing education attending seminars.

I have plenty of coworkers I don't talk to outside of work and it's not an issue #comparingNBAtonormies When I get a new job, they'll find out when they get told by upper management they have to take on /split my workload until my replacement comes. Actually in all cases but 1 I put in my 2 weeks so people know
MAN your post in the NBA thread struck a nerve, A little backstory the customer spoke highly of me to my contracting company and I was nominated for employee of the company last quarter. My PM mentioned she believes I will be allowed to go on the company trip to Mexico. This would be the first time they were opening it up to those, not in sales.
rvw8ltz6rck41.png
In mid-January we had our first all hands of the month where new people are nominated for employee of the quarter. The one guy that is supposed to provide us A&A documents and compliance info is nominated for employee of the quarter. My government personnel has complained about this guy my company manager has "complained" about this guy, yet still, he somehow got the award. Meh whatever, what fired me up is he is going on the Mexico trip. I didn't even get MOFO selected to go. Yet you have others that weren't nominated going. :angry:

I told a friend of mine and he was like you going to say anything. Nope shouldn't have to, employee of the quarter should automatically be added to the list to go. After that then pick and choose people, going to wait and see what this bonus looks like in April, and peace out.

Sucks I been with them for 3 years

Just took the Itf+ and failed :smh: but I got a bundle with 2 attempts
Pretty much what I thought my issue was going to be came true - so many acronyms, remembering what things functions are and when to apply them. There was some stuff I never even heard of on there too so I’m gonna take another class on udemy with a different teacher and study some more before I take it again

I wish I could find some good practice tests. There’s one on udemy but it’s $80

Pretty much what I thought my issue was going to be came true - so many acronyms, remembering what things functions are and when to apply them. There was some stuff I never even heard of on there too so I’m gonna take another class on udemy with a different teacher and study some more before I take it again

Not to beat a dead horse, but it's always good to study from multiple sources before taking an exam. It provides clarity on a subject you may be shaky on, and also opens up doors to something the other course may have breezed by. Best of luck.

Not to beat a dead horse, but it's always good to study from multiple sources before taking an exam. It provides clarity on a subject you may be shaky on, and also opens up doors to something the other course may have breezed by. Best of luck.
Yea I’m gonna take another class and also study on my own and try again next week or so

You need 650/900 to pass I got 577. Def mad disappointed in myself but I gotta remember it’s something completely new to me. Last week I never even heard of any of this stuff :lol:

Time to roll up and watch CL now I guess
B1F1D6D2-057D-4402-99B9-60C990A4C83D.jpeg

The first IT person I call for help at my job is always clueless and I have to go up the chain of command. It's frustrating as hell :smh:

Unfortunately you left that only to come to the same industry. We are "technically" never done always a new cert on the horizon. If not then you need to do continuing education attending seminars.

Thanks for the feedback! Is it safe to assume most of the folks posting about certs and exams are either crossing a threshold or continuing their education? Others feel free to chime in.

For those that have been in the field for some time.. where do you get certs and what not.. meaning is this paid for by the job or you just have to keep paying for courses/exams? I appreciate any replies. I'm trying to get as much info as I can before completely shifting gears and investing in anther career.

I started the process of looking at that Java newboston tutorial (biggest pain so far is how dated it is lol).

For those that have been in the field for some time.. where do you get certs and what not.. meaning is this paid for by the job or you just have to keep paying for courses/exams? I appreciate any replies. I'm trying to get as much info as I can before completely shifting gears and investing in anther career.

I started the process of looking at that Java newboston tutorial (biggest pain so far is how dated it is lol).
What's dated about the tutorial? It's teaching you fundamentals and then moves up in "difficulty " as you proceed.

What's dated about the tutorial? It's teaching you fundamentals and then moves up in "difficulty " as you proceed.

Small things like downloading JDK.. the video is from 09. I am using a macbook in from 2020 in 2022 following the tutorial.. I ended up looking up how to download because it's not quite the same. I found out I needed to download just 1 of the 4 links and needed to be a certain one based on the type of mac/os I have.

That's info that is not in the tutorial for obvious reasons. Keep in mind I just started watching it like 2 days ago so I haven't even done much yet. I'm only on like video 2 or 3 :lol:

Small things like downloading JDK.. the video is from 09. I am using a macbook in from 2020 in 2022 following the tutorial.. I ended up looking up how to download because it's not quite the same. I found out I needed to download just 1 of the 4 links and needed to be a certain one based on the type of mac/os I have.

That's info that is not in the tutorial for obvious reasons. Keep in mind I just started watching it like 2 days ago so I haven't even done much yet. I'm only on like video 2 or 3 :lol:
Is this your first time programming?

Look into jucos they may offer classes and boot camps. Mine have been through the job. If you’re looking at gov agencies they will likely cover it. Other than that you can pay out of pocket. But they are dumb expensive. Sans courses are thousands. But depending on what you’re into there’s aws, Microsoft, etc all kinda certification paths you can take

Most jobs will pay for certs once you pass them. However some will want you to stay a year after they pay for it, or just make you pay back the money they paid. How you swing it is make the next job pay that when you start.

"I would love to accept this position, however, my company paid for X cert and they are going to make me pay it back when I leave. Can you pay me X on top of my salary to recover the money I will have to pay?"

Finished orientation this week for one of the gigs, was waiting for background check on the other job. Heard back on another interview from last week that seemed super low level, like tier 1 resetting passwords and unlocking accounts. I spoke with the recruiter to double check the salary, with the shift differential and clearance bonus it falls within my range. On top in 6 months they plan on upgrading my clearance, something I have been trying to do for 10+ years.

:pimp: About to be a great summer once things fall into place..

Did 2 interviews and now I'm on my final interview with the director for a position of junior system admin at a tech company.

Pay is 75-80k.

Only thing is it's in Boston and idk how I feel about moving there...

Every video I see on YouTube from POC say how racist the city is. Not direct racism but very passive aggressive.

The systems engineer I interviewed with def seemed cool and the company is owned by a German company (Siemens) so I'm not worried about the workplace environment. I'm just worried about living in the city in general.

But at the same time I can finally get out off the phones and I would love to work at a tech company and get the title as a Jr sysadmin

Did 2 interviews and now I'm on my final interview with the director for a position of junior system admin at a tech company.

Pay is 75-80k.

Every video I see on YouTube from POC say how racist the city is. Not direct racism but very passive aggressive.

The systems engineer I interviewed with def seemed cool and the company is owned by a German company (Siemens) so I'm not worried about the workplace environment. I'm just worried about living in the city in general.

But at the same time I can finally get out of the help desk and I would love to work at a tech company and get the title as a Jr sysadmin
75-80K for a Jr Sys Admin gig is good pay from the research I've been doing.

Where do you live now?

Pay is 75-80k.

But at the same time I can finally get out off the phones and I would love to work at a tech company and get the title as a Jr sysadmin
We get a bad rep but it’s not the 80s anymore. From what I’ve seen online you’re more likely to run into some nazis in Orange County or something :lol:
Where’s the job located? Downtown area?
Grew up in Boston so lmk if you have any questions
Im making the switch to IT, between Boston and Cambridge there is so many companies

Back
Top Bottom