Information Technology (IT)

Been thinking about seriously focusing on cloud. Thinking of going Azure since here in the DC Metro are everything is tied to the government which is Microsoft.
I am so torn on which is more vital, then you have Google cloud as an option also. I honestly think AWS is the leader then Azure. I was literally just having this conversation with an IT friend of mine today.

My previous employer migrated to azure right before I left so I was able to get somewhat familiar with it. Going to take advantage of training opportunities my current job offers for it shortly

I am so torn on which is more vital, then you have Google cloud as an option also. I honestly think AWS is the leader then Azure. I was literally just having this conversation with an IT friend of mine today.
AWS has the most market share then Azure. But I feel like you can’t go wrong with either. I was just choosing Azure since I feel like everyone is doing AWS they’ll need someone who knows Azure. But it’s all probably similar honestly. But like I said being a gov contractor is swaying me towards Microsoft.

AWS has the most market share then Azure. But I feel like you can’t go wrong with either. I was just choosing Azure since I feel like everyone is doing AWS they’ll need someone who knows Azure. But it’s all probably similar honestly. But like I said being a gov contractor is swaying me towards Microsoft.
I think they might be interchangeable and easy to pick up if you know one. I don't think it is like Microsoft and Linux.

Can’t wait to I get on y’all level in here. Doing all the studying I can before I make the transition.
You just started your journey right? Any idea what your plans are after help desk?

But if you plan on getting out of DoD wouldn’t CISSP be the one you need? Because CASP is more rounded towards DoD and not private sector.

Currently hold CCNA and Sec+ but definitely interested in Cyber/Or AWS Cloud.

What Are you looking into doing once you’re in the civilian world?
Good question. Can't really apply for jobs till probably mid next month. I'd like to continue being a network engineer. But...I can also try to hop on the M$ train. Seems like a cool place to work with competitive pay.

Cybersecurity and Cloud are both growing segments of IT. Can't hurt either. Combine both and I'm sure it's even more money.
100% They serve different market segments.

Azure is more enterprise focused. SAAS via O365. And virtual applications and services via Azure Cloud. You can see they're making moves in the gaming space as well.

AWS been a juggernaut. Check out their clientele.

Dudes are willing to pay you 200k and bonus but won't do 10k for the clearance.
Don't forget it currently takes a long time for clearances to be finalized. Since they have a backlog, coworker had an investigator in today for someone else. So they paying you the 200K and you barely doing your job, you basically pulling a Kyrie. I have been at a job at Leidos like that, they would ask me to do something. Nope can't do it, I'm not read on to that.

Don't forget it currently takes a long time for clearances to be finalized. Since they have a backlog, coworker had an investigator in today for someone else. So they paying you the 200K and you barely doing your job, you basically pulling a Kyrie. I have been at a job at Leidos like that, they would ask me to do something. Nope can't do it, I'm not read on to that.
Akira just had me sitting at home 4 months collecting a salary because you literally couldnt even be on site without it. Just had to log into unanet and put 8 on my timesheet every day. 4 months was to upgrade from regular secret to top secret.

Akira just had me sitting at home 4 months collecting a salary because you literally couldnt even be on site without it. Just had to log into unanet and put 8 on my timesheet every day. 4 months was to upgrade from regular secret to top secret.
Been there at my current job back in 2018. I HATED that I quit my old job, because I basically could have been doing both at the time. Been real fortunate in my jobs, had another spot company lost the contract. But they paid us like 4/5 months while about 20 contractors sat at home. I was still working my day job so I was just putting down 8 at both jobs. Would gladly go back there and work for that company, small company good leadership.

I have been at companies they let you go. Hell one company basically "fired" us for the Christmas break then hired us back in the new year. I was like couldn't we just not fill out a timesheet or do LWOP. Contracting world WILD here in the DC area, you in the field long enough you see some crazy stuff.

I feel that but if I'm the employee, not my problem. Plus I've seen some of these clearance roles at commercial companies sit without being filled for longer than that. At some point they gotta compromise.

Been thinking about joining a full time coding bootcamp. Any way I can leave my job for 3 months and come back to it right after lol. Any strategies or tactics I can use?

Been thinking about joining a full time coding bootcamp. Any way I can leave my job for 3 months and come back to it right after lol. Any strategies or tactics I can use?
Ask what the policy is for leave of absence, however I would recommend exhausting the easier options first. Udemy and the likes. Looking at the AWS Solutions Architect cert, I am certainly about to use the free Udemy my job offers. Then another study material and then ACloud, before just taking 3 months off. But if it works for you good luck my guy.

Do they have a part time option? Thats how i did mine. 2 days in the week i went after work then the third day was on Saturday. 6 months.

Yeah pick the right bootcamp for you.

Most coding bootcamps are trash. I used to work at one.

Most coding bootcamps lie about their success rates (they can stretch the truth with how they define success; is a contract software engineering job a success? is a non software engineering job (like application support or something less technical) a success?).

I've worked with alot of bootcamp grads. I ask them about their programs when we work together.

42 School is unequivocally the best IF YOU HAVE THE TIME. And they were running at lower capacity because of covid. On the other hand there are places like General Assembly that seem like a "diploma mill" and they would be a waste of your time.

Getting time off work is less important than avoiding picking the wrong program.

Last edited:
Yeah pick the right bootcamp for you.

Most coding bootcamps are trash. I used to work at app academy.

Most coding bootcamps lie about their success rates (they can stretch the truth with how they define success; is a contract software engineering job a success? is a non software engineering job (like application support or something less technical) a success?).

I've worked with 2k software engineers in the last 3 years. Roughly 10-20% have been bootcamp grads. I ask them about their programs when we work together.

42 School is unequivocally the best IF YOU HAVE THE TIME. And they were running at lower capacity because of covid. On the other hand there are places like General Assembly that seem like a "diploma mill" and they would be a waste of your time.

Getting time off work is less important than avoiding picking the wrong program.
Word. I know a friend of a friend that went to Flatiron and got a job. Switched fields from working in car sales. So I’ve gotta be careful before dropping dough.

Going to start the Google Project Managment Course soon. Hopefully it’ll land me a position as a Associate/Jr PM.

Any PMs here open for mentorship?

Going to start the Google Project Managment Course soon. Hopefully it’ll land me a position as a Associate/Jr PM.

Good luck got a BUSY AF year planned, taking two AWS exams and trying to study and pass my PMP by the end of the year. I think AWS exam studying should take about 3 months to pass without any worries, but nervous about the PMP study. Also I know I am going to get distracted with enjoying the nice weather in the summer. SMH.

Wish me luck ya'll.

Feel free to reach out if you have any questions. I have experience in the field.

Good luck got a BUSY AF year planned, taking two AWS exams and trying to study and pass my PMP by the end of the year. I think AWS exam studying should take about 3 months to pass without any worries, but nervous about the PMP study. Also I know I am going to get distracted with enjoying the nice weather in the summer. SMH.

Wish me luck ya'll.

I didn't take the PMP serious until I set a date for the test. Once I had that, I started grinding. Got through the test in like 1.5 hours. I was letting the answers fly :rofl: . This exam simulator helped me with like 70% of the info. Passed with all Above Targets. Note that It is harder and wordier than the actual exam, but the explanations help a lot. Worth every penny.

Feel free to reach out if you have any questions. I have experience in the field.

I didn't take the PMP serious until I set a date for the test. Once I had that, I started grinding. Got through the test in like 1.5 hours. I was letting the answers fly :rofl: . This exam simulator helped me with like 70% of the info. Passed with all Above Targets. Note that It is harder and wordier than the actual exam, but the explanations help a lot. Worth every penny.
Plan on taking that towards the end of the year. Probably overkill but take first AWS exam in April, second one 3/4 months later. PMP Nov/Dec. Then chill and wait for job to bless me with a sick bonus or I’m out.

I was supposed to do an internship on the way out of the military…

Fell through. Thinking of doing the PMP depending on the time it takes to study for…

Props on that link with the practice tests

Plan on taking that towards the end of the year. Probably overkill but take first AWS exam in April, second one 3/4 months later. PMP Nov/Dec. Then chill and wait for job to bless me with a sick bonus or I’m out.
Which AWS exam are you taking first?

Back
Top Bottom