Information Technology (IT)

Solutions Architect Associate and Professional later in the year.

Sounds like we're going down similar paths. I need to hop back on studying for the Solutions Architect exam as well. Just trying to figure out how I want to leverage it before I commit to it again.

Sounds like we're going down similar paths. I need to hop back on studying for the Solutions Architect exam as well. Just trying to figure out how I want to leverage it before I commit to it again.
How you plan on leveraging it? I am about to leverage it and move to a AWS position, probably an onsite one initially to get more hands on. Year down the line roll out and look for a remote position once I have the skills down. Currently a Cyber Security Engineer but only in name, not really using any major security tools.

How you plan on leveraging it? I am about to leverage it and move to a AWS position, probably an onsite one initially to get more hands on. Year down the line roll out and look for a remote position once I have the skills down. Currently a Cyber Security Engineer but only in name, not really using any major security tools.

Definitely makes sense for what you do. My background is in Project Management so I would have to decide if I want to switch fields or look for a more technical role to really utilize it. Having the AWS cloud practitioner already puts me above a lot of PMs for job looks, but it's diminishing returns getting the Solutions Architect. That's why I'm not sure it's worth the effort over something else.

My goal (I think) is cloud advisory, or at least form of cloud project management…

if I stay in the federal space (been trying to get out), I want to move away from the on-site/program-oriented contracting I am used to, and transition to a cloud service provider (AWS, Microsoft, Oracle, WWT, Rackspace), or work for a company that provides solutions/services/products (i.e. SaaS) likely in implementation roles

if that makes sense…:lol:

Last edited:
My goal (I think) is cloud advisory, or at least form of cloud project management…

if I stay in the federal space (been trying to get out), I want to move away from the on-site/program-oriented contracting I am used to, and transition to a cloud service provider (AWS, Microsoft, Oracle, WWT, Rackspace), or work for a company that provides solutions/services/products (i.e. SaaS) likely in implementation roles

if that makes sense…:lol:
That makes sense. As more companies transition to the cloud, having a PM who understands it will be valuable. Can also do it remotely for the foreseeable future.

Anyone in here get their AWS Practitioner Cert? Has it helped you in progressing your current situation?

Still working this Applications Service job for the Gov, but I see and help with low level Citrix Workspace and AVHE issues. Kind of wondering if I should travel down that path.

Anyone in here get their AWS Practitioner Cert? Has it helped you in progressing your current situation?

I have (few others as well) have the AWS Cloud Practitioner cert…and dunno if its help me progress, I passed the test in Dec and forgot to update my resume :lol:

My take: Good cert for people on the business side of IT (FinOps, Sales, IT Strategy, Customer Success, Program Management, etc). Its cheap ($100) to obtain and there are enough guides/resources available to pass (practice test bundles are ~$20).

Will the cert alone land you a new job? Likely not, but its a decent investment if you have zero cloud experience.

If someone’s goal is to specifically work with AWS resources, shoot for the Solutions Architect certs.

Last edited:
It all depends on what job you’re aiming for. I took a cheap course through Stanly CC. It’s not a difficult test. Amazon has the free course. I can’t say percentage how far that will get you to the goal line.

But…it’s all about what type of job you’re going for.

If you’re a PM and had the basic AWS, Azure and Google certs…it would be fine for knowing capabilities vice deep technical. Architect or Designer like someone posted in here. Maybe it’s the expert or architect exams.

Anybody hear of the CompTIA Server+ ?

I think I'm just gonna read the material but not take the cert.

I got it a long time ago.

It’s not a worthwhile certification. Decent info if you work as a sys admin and starting out.

Honestly, their most worthwhile certifications are the holy trinity.

I DO want to get Linux+…just because I want to play with VMs and have a way of validating my Linux knowledge. For me that’s part of the reason why I’ve gotten certifications, just knowledge.

I got it a long time ago.

It’s not a worthwhile certification. Decent info if you work as a sys admin and starting out.

Honestly, their most worthwhile certifications are the holy trinity.

I DO want to get Linux+…just because I want to play with VMs and have a way of validating my Linux knowledge. For me that’s part of the reason why I’ve gotten certifications, just knowledge.
That’s why I’d be looking into it. Just for the knowledge. I have a little server experience but not enough. Definitely not paying for the exam. Cost too much.

What does server+ cover? Windows or Linux? Never hear much of it.
According to the objectives, it covers “server architecture, administration, storage, security, networking, troubleshooting as well as disaster recovery.”

And it includes Windows and Linux.

What does server+ cover? Windows or Linux? Never hear much of it.
I couldn’t tell you. I know when I took it…it was befo…Esxi and vSphere…befo…Hyper-V….befo Servers 2012-2022…Containers…Cloud…

Way too much. Just like I’d imagine A+ is. Salute to new IT cats…especially the ones who can program and can look at things as 1s and 0s.

Speaking of that I still kick myself for getting a VMware cert 10 years ago when they were paying paying for that knowledge.

Had the worst interview just now.

5 people interviewing me for a senior desktop support role.

Literally machine gun'd me with technical questions for 30 min straight. Didn't even ask the "tell me about yourself"

The questions were so stupid.

"What is the internet"

"What is the encryption on Windows and Mac called"

:stoneface:

Y'all don't see my resume?

I dealt with that too. Took control of it real quick and ended the interview myself. They more than likely didn't want to hire you, probably got someone else in mind (or someone does) that's one of their friends so they do a **** interview to disqualify you because you don't know technical definitions that have no bearing on the fact you can actually do the thing and they dont either for that matter, as they have google up.

I dealt with that too. Took control of it real quick and ended the interview myself. They more than likely didn't want to hire you, probably got someone else in mind (or someone does) that's one of their friends so they do a **** interview to disqualify you because you don't know technical definitions that have no bearing on the fact you can actually do the thing and they dont either for that matter, as they have google up.
How did you end it?

Just asking in case I and others come across a similar type situation. I get the need for technical interviews and for certain positions, but I would be upset if I come to an interview and feel like I'm taking a test for a desktop support role.

Literally did the exact same thing dude is describing, was like 8 guys on the call and just 1 know it all acting *** dude like, "Do you know what IP is?" "What's the port for ftp?" just asking quizlike questions, which if I didn't know I'd say I dont know and he'd read it off to me (again as if it has any bearing) but if I did, he'd literally be like "well how bout this," like how is trying to got'cha me or stump me any kind of productive.

But anyways, I was like, "it's clear this isn't going to be a fit either way, I appreciate everyone's time and for considering me, but it's Friday and we might as well all reclaim our time," or something to that effect, just a really corporate you're not gonna make me feel bad, get off my screen ****bois.

He was all flabbergasted like, "oh wow, uhh, so you have any questions for me," *click*.

it's only on really high paying 6 figure + jobs I have had that happen.

Like fam, ask what I do now and/or explain your current environment to me and let's talk about how my current skillset and past experience as an addition would or wouldn't be an asset to your project, not read off dictionary definitions.

And even this was after it went on for like a long time, I was getting down and answering his questions like No, I dont know and felt my spirit being defeated and I was like **** this I'm me *****, there will be other jobs. I can't imagine I would enjoy working with dude to begin with frankly if he's like this so whatevs

Literally did the exact same thing dude is describing, was like 8 guys on the call and just 1 know it all acting *** dude like, "Do you know what IP is?" "What's the port for ftp?" just asking quizlike questions, which if I didn't know I'd say I dont know and he'd read it off to me (again as if it has any bearing) but if I did, he'd literally be like "well how bout this," like how is trying to got'cha me or stump me any kind of productive.

But anyways, I was like, "it's clear this isn't going to be a fit either way, I appreciate everyone's time and for considering me, but it's Friday and we might as well all reclaim our time," or something to that effect, just a really corporate you're not gonna make me feel bad, get off my screen ****bois.

He was all flabbergasted like, "oh wow, uhh, so you have any questions for me," *click*.

it's only on really high paying 6 figure + jobs I have had that happen.

Like fam, ask what I do now and/or explain your current environment to me and let's talk about how my current skillset and past experience as an addition would or wouldn't be an asset to your project, not read off dictionary definitions.
Yeah, pretty much. Don't allow them to waste your time considering that it is clear that they have someone else already in mind. When they start to beam you with questions like this is who wants to be a millionaire or some kind of gameshow, you already know what time it is.

Yeah, pretty much. Don't allow them to waste your time considering that it is clear that they have someone else already in mind. When they start to beam you with questions like this is who wants to be a millionaire or some kind of gameshow, you already know what time it is.
one time i had an interview where the dude was being a big time a hole and telling me some weird stuff so when he was like whats ur 5 year plan? i was like honestly i'lll only stay in IT for a year or two then i'm giong to go all in on real estate

Lmao dude was so confused

would never wanna work for a bozo

A technical interview should be really about figuring out how you approach things. The little gotcha word tests are such a waste of time, especially for experienced folks. You'll learn and forget so many things over the years, doesn't mean you can't do a whole *** role.

Actually think I got a job before for kinda arguing with the interviewer and standing my ground. This was before I touched AD in an enterprise environment but it seemed simple enough from labbing. He brought up if I know AD, said never in a work scenario but i'm familiar and he said ok we'll list it as a weakness. I disagreed because nothing I saw of it would make me think this would be difficult for me so we went back and forth for a bit. I just thought a weakness is something I would struggle with, which AD wasn't. Thought I was done for then they hit up next day for the next phase.

I learned though that ability to stand your ground was essential in that environment (toxic AF) and that's what set me apart.

Funny thing is now, semantically, I think he was correct :lol:.

A technical interview should be really about figuring out how you approach things. The little gotcha word tests are such a waste of time, especially for experienced folks. You'll learn and forget so many things over the years, doesn't mean you can't do a whole *** role.

Actually think I got a job before for kinda arguing with the interviewer and standing my ground. This was before I touched AD in an enterprise environment but it seemed simple enough from labbing. He brought up if I know AD, said never in a work scenario but i'm familiar and he said ok we'll list it as a weakness. I disagreed because nothing I saw of it would make me think this would be difficult for me so we went back and forth for a bit. I just thought a weakness is something I would struggle with, which AD wasn't. Thought I was done for then they hit up next day for the next phase.

I learned though that ability to stand your ground was essential in that environment (toxic AF) and that's what set me apart.

Funny thing is now, semantically, I think he was correct :lol:.
Dude said it's a weakness. LMAO. Haven't taken any AWS exams yet, but universe must know I plan to. Received second job interview request for AWS position. Salary much to low to make that jump right now even if just the experience. Since the jobs are coming in without the certs, all the more reason for me to wait until I get them to start looking.

Found out why the job offer from a company called Metronome from about 3-4 weeks ago fell through. Turns out the lady that called me mispoke, and it's not remote, it's "remote until covid," the one that would also upgrade me to TS-SCI. It's physically out of Charleston, SC. Of course, I could lie and say "yea I'll move whenever yall get ready for me to," and just get the job and clearance upgrade then don't, but that's kind of a **** move. Also, one of the clients is the Navy and I know they're just like the Marines in that they tend to have tons of old, non connected or networked in a classroom but the classroom not out to the internet, I.T assets for teaching; like an old Pentium Windows XP laptop that they just connect to the projector to teach how to operate the boat or whatever.

And that being the case, they'd probably be wanting me to relocate sooner than later. But the fact another person from the same company called me about the same job this week is encouraging since it means they havent found anyone who was willing thus far, so I am kind of hoping they end up having to settle and making it a fully remote role and offering it to me.

Tell then I'm running through our environment with these POAM/Vuln scans and updating our VMs accordingly and not mad at it

Finding it hard to find a junior sys admin job so I think I may have to thug it out in the help desk for a little while longer. I got a phone call for a help desk analyst gig. Should be about 10 minutes. How far into the call or into my questioning should I ask about salary?

Back
Top Bottom