Information Technology (IT)

You could break that ceiling without any of that if you go into sales/solutions engineering. Though it would look better.
No don't want to do sales, terrible salesman. You either want what I have or not. I will provide you the info and you decide what to do with it.

You're not the salesman, there's an account manager for that. The solutions manager is the person they bring in to speak to the technical details of the product and demo to the clients. I'm over bringing it up though, folks making 250-300K or better easily depending on the product. I might look into it in the future as I want to get deeper technically first, but you don't really have to as they have training programs nowadays for it.

Been struggling at Jeremy It Labs (ccna). I understand whats going on but when its time for me to do the labs solo Its like everything has left my mind. Only on day 15. Been rough since the CLI has been introduced

Been struggling at Jeremy It Labs (ccna). I understand whats going on but when its time for me to do the labs solo Its like everything has left my mind. Only on day 15. Been rough since the CLI has been introduced
Rewatch the videos. Repetition builds confidence.

Still slacking on my net+ 😅 not planning on looking for jobs until after the summer so it’s been hard for me to focus on it
But I am traveling at the end of May so I’m setting a goal to have it done by then

Gotta keep doing it bro, you’ll start catching on. I’d recommend starting all of your labs from scratch to build the reps. So for example, if the lab is about configuring a routing table usually you’re given a template where the basics of the routers and switches are already configured.

Instead of using the lab templates build it from ground up.. switch/router name, adding ip addy, management connections, log in, physical connections, etc.

USE THE ? feature!! If you have at least an idea of what commands you need to be using then the ? helps a lot.

Gotta learn how to focus, shutoff distractions and retain information like it is it's own skill too i'm learning. Cal Newport's Deep Work is a good book, you can read or check out the summaries on YT etc.

The CISSP is a rough, for a number of reasons. It's the classic "mile wide, inch deep" in terms of knowledge. You can have a question on SQL Injections, then another asking how high a fence has to be to protect your data center. Just really weird stuff like that. Admittedly, it's a little dated, as are a lot of the classic IT certs.

I've worked in InfoSec for nearly 7 years (with 11 years in IT previous to that), and I still don't have my CISSP because my experience trumps anything a CISSP can show. BUT, a CISSP in the earlier part of your career could make or break someone even looking at your resume, especially for larger companies that use certs like that to separate the talent pool. Good luck.
ISC2 sent me an email to review the domains for 1 CEU. I looked at all the domains and their topics.

In my head, I was like how is a security professional expected to know all of this. Having gotten the cert, I know it's not too deep. But it is definitely a vast number of topics. I, personally, think it's overrated when compared to say the OSCP, OSCE, or the SANs portfolio.
I think you might be leaving money on the table by not having your CISSP. Obviously not in your pocket but companies certainly pay for that piece of paper. Finish up my MBA this year, planning on getting my CISSP and PMP next year. Not new to IT but the pay scale I am targeting won't open up without those check marks. Been in IT for 23 years as an FYI.
I 100% agree. Great ROI for "dumb" certs. Most people who took and passed the two you mentioned say the standard/passing score isn't high but the reward for passing them is high. Easy six figure positions.
You're not the salesman, there's an account manager for that. The solutions manager is the person they bring in to speak to the technical details of the product and demo to the clients. I'm over bringing it up though, folks making 250-300K or better easily depending on the product. I might look into it in the future as I want to get deeper technically first, but you don't really have to as they have training programs nowadays for it.
I know someone who got out of the military two or three years before I did. He got a job with a vendor as a sales guy, which managed to acquire several major contracts with the Army and Marine Corps. Man got fat commission checks for the three contracts they got in the last few years.

Any advice for someone (me) who is interested in going back to school for IT/Cyber Security? Been considering changing career fields and am trying to see what steps I can take to begin that transition.

Any information would be helpful.

I finally went and got my Cisco CyberOps cert today which will update my Security+ cert. As I am paying those maintenance fees I’m just thinking about how much of a money grab maintaining certifications are.

I am a network engineer and I am super happy with the job I have as it is great paying & there’s tons of room for growth.

My question to you guys: Does updating/maintaining certifications matter to you if you’re already in the job position that you want?

Don’t get me wrong, you should always be learning esp in the tech field or you’ll get left behind.

My employer offered us stock options (up to €200k per person) but required being employed there for at least 18 months. Just got word from the CEO and CFO that they were willing to make an exception for me though, since they're apparently "very satisfied" with my service and expect that to continue in the coming years. Haven't really had an evaluation or anything since my hiring in late April 2022 so it's nice to get a formal recognition like that, especially since I've unfortunately racked up loads of sick days due to epilepsy attacks.

They did limit the amount I could invest to a relatively measly 10k though :smh::lol:

I finally went and got my Cisco CyberOps cert today which will update my Security+ cert. As I am paying those maintenance fees I’m just thinking about how much of a money grab maintaining certifications are.

I am a network engineer and I am super happy with the job I have as it is great paying & there’s tons of room for growth.

My question to you guys: Does updating/maintaining certifications matter to you if you’re already in the job position that you want?

Don’t get me wrong, you should always be learning esp in the tech field or you’ll get left behind.
Always maintain your certs, made that mistake and let my Security+ expire. Had to get my CASP to be 8570 compliant, plus it's easy to maintain them. You are right certainly a cash grab though.

Currently submitting my CE's for my CASP now.

Last edited:
I’m in the same boat as you cs02132 cs02132
I got my A+ last month & purchased study material for Network+ before seeing this recommendation.

I will be going for security+ and CCNA next. Best of luck and thank you all for the info :pimp:

A quick update; I passed my network+ exam this morning. In the process of obtaining this cert, I landed a help desk position in the public sector. I think I’m getting paid decently for it being my first official IT job.

I’ll start working towards CCNA and security+ next. Thank you to all for the advice shared in this thread. :nthat:

A quick update; I passed my network+ exam this morning. In the process of obtaining this cert, I landed a help desk position in the public sector. I think I’m getting paid decently for it being my first official IT job.

I’ll start working towards CCNA and security+ next. Thank you to all for the advice shared in this thread. :nthat:
Congratulations!

Congratulations! Celebrate and go cop da hemi

Always maintain your certs, made that mistake and let my Security+ expire. Had to get my CASP to be 8570 compliant, plus it's easy to maintain them. You are right certainly a cash grab though.

Currently submitting my CE's for my CASP now.
I had a mentor who was very skilled that would make fun of me for working on certs lol.. his whole thing was “I already got the job” lol..

Me, as someone with no college credentials, use certs to somewhat fill the gap & at least look competitive.

Dope, congrats :pimp:
How did you find the test? Do you have your A+ or anything else?
Def the motivation I needed. Your over here making moves and I’m still slacking studying for mine

Congratulations! Celebrate and go cop da hemi

:rofl:
Thank you! I selfishly want a M3, but that will have to wait.

Dope, congrats :pimp:
How did you find the test? Do you have your A+ or anything else?
Def the motivation I needed. Your over here making moves and I’m still slacking studying for mine

Thank you!

As of right now, I have A+ & now Network+.

I found the exam to be harder than A+ for sure. But if you put in the time to study you should be okay.

Screenshot 2023-04-02 at 11.00.14 PM.png

DM me is anyone is interested and you have the skills.

Back
Top Bottom