Interesting Interview with two NFL scouts about this years QB class.... vol. Sam Bradford overrated

read this article today.... found it very interesting, and a bit surprising...very contrary to all the hype and talk i have been hearing... what do you guysthing

Jeff Risdon: Let's jump right in with the quarterbacks. I know some are underclassmen, but give me your order on: Tim Tebow, Sam Bradford, Colt McCoy, and Jevan Snead.

AFC West Scout: McCoy is the easy #1 for me. I'd put Tebow next, then Snead. I'm not seeing a lot of NFL qualities out of Sam Bradford. He's real accurate but his fastball isn't fast, and he really struggles when you get pressure on him. He's not going to get all that time at the next level. And you look at how his backup has done, it sort of takes off the buzz.

NFC South Scout: I like Snead because he of what he's done in Ole Miss' offense. The kid has made NFL throws from NFL formations. He needs some work... I would put McCoy next. I like his mobility and his awareness. I agree with (AFC West Scout, hereafter AW) about Bradford, the arm just isn't enough. He's got some Chad Pennington to him, but Chad was always the smartest cookie in the box. I don't get that vibe from (Bradford). And you know, we've talked about the Tebow kid before. He's a NFL fullback. I say that 'til I'm blue in the face, but there are people I know on our staff that think he's the best player in the next draft. It won't be my (butt) that goes down with him. Great kid but he ain't no NFL quarterback.

JR: Just so I'm straight, neither of you believe Sam Bradford is worth a high pick. Where would you slot him?

AW: I like him in the compensatory picks after the third round.

NS: You know he ain't gonna last past 15 (#15 overall). Teams see that high profile QB and they can't help themselves. Look at what Tampa did with that Freeman kid (Josh, Kansas State QB taken in the first round). That kid had 4th round written all over him and they took him, what, 20 (overall)?

JR: Does Bradford's shoulder injury have anything to do with his falling stock?

AW: Some, yeah. He doesn't have a rifle to begin with, so he needs to show he can make the longer throws. He's got a lot of things that you want to see...the accuracy stands out. Maybe he's the next Drew Brees, but I don't see it.

JR: Oklahoma products haven't exactly translated real well to the NFL. How much does that factor?

NS: (Bradford) ain't no wide receiver. Those are the kids who can't cut it.

AW: I know some people worry about that, but it doesn't bother me.

JR: Any others that stand out worth mentioning? Maybe Dan Lefevour? Tim Hiller? Tony Pike?

NS: Pass on Lefevour. He can go back to Canada with that softball. Tough kid but he puts too much air under the ball, even on short stuff. Pike's got a shot if his shoulder stays good. He could make a nice backup if he doesn't blow up his shoulder throwing that three quarters crap. I haven't seen enough of the Hiller kid to comment.

full article: http://football.realgm.co...d_table_discussion_pt_i/

Yep I think dude is overrated too explosive college offense...not translating too the big boys. Is anybody else thinking Right Handed Matt Leinart?

AFC West Scout: McCoy is the easy #1 for me. I'd put Tebow next, then Snead. I'm not seeing a lot of NFL qualities out of Sam Bradford. He's real accurate but his fastball isn't fast, and he really struggles when you get pressure on him. He's not going to get all that time at the next level. And you look at how his backup has done, it sort of takes off the buzz.

NFC South Scout: I like Snead because he of what he's done in Ole Miss' offense. The kid has made NFL throws from NFL formations. He needs some work... I would put McCoy next. I like his mobility and his awareness. I agree with (AFC West Scout, hereafter AW) about Bradford, the arm just isn't enough. He's got some Chad Pennington to him, but Chad was always the smartest cookie in the box. I don't get that vibe from (Bradford). And you know, we've talked about the Tebow kid before. He's a NFL fullback. I say that 'til I'm blue in the face, but there are people I know on our staff that think he's the best player in the next draft. It won't be my (butt) that goes down with him. Great kid but he ain't no NFL quarterback.

Go ahead and be the dummy that makes him the 1st or 2nd QB taken in the 2010 draft....
laugh.gif

Ryan Mallett IS the best QB prospect (assuming he declares) in 2010....and I can't believe I'm saying this, but Jimmy Clausen is a close second...

agreed....you see what happens when Bradford gets pressured.......its gonna happen all day in the NFL...overrated for sure...

and agreed about mallet....6'6 BEST ARM IN COLLEGE FOOTBALL BY FAR....dude is a straight gun slinger

I don't see the comparisons to Matt.

At least Matt ran a Pro offense.

And I've seen Matt perform against Defense's w/ NFL caliber scheme's/talent/non soft +$! zone all game.

Well, I take that back kinda. You talking about the wet noodle arms?

laugh.gif

McCoy is the easy #1 for me
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

6'6 BEST ARM IN COLLEGE FOOTBALL BY FAR.
Not really BY FAR.

I personally like McCoy the best, I know he doesn't ahve the prototypical size but Brees is showing that small QB's can have success still.

Yea, I was talking about the Noodle arm the whole time...I know the offense's were different in college.

Bradford-spread

Matt- I form pro set.

Originally Posted by dreClark

I don't see the comparisons to Matt.

At least Matt ran a Pro offense.

And I've seen Matt perform against Defense's w/ NFL caliber scheme's/talent/non soft +$! zone all game.

Well, I take that back kinda. You talking about the wet noodle arms?

laugh.gif

McCoy is the easy #1 for me
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

6'6 BEST ARM IN COLLEGE FOOTBALL BY FAR.
Not really BY FAR.

Dre who you got in a close 2nd? I think there's a HUGE gap between Mallett and the #2 best arm in college FB....IMO, Mallett has the best armin college ball since Jamarcus Russell....

Juice-Williams.jpg

AYE!

Never did I say a BETTER arm. Just that he's not the best arm BY FAR.

Big Tex ain't out throwing Yung Jewman (Aye!) by much

The dude at Mizzou has a %#++#$+ cannon too. not sure if it's on Mallet's level but he is gonna be a player.

I knew you were gonna bring that bum up

Just one specific note, but for for as long as Ive been watching Bradford at OU, dude always struck me as very stiff...pause...

He obviously put up huge numbers in college, but the way he drops back and throws the rock, it just didnt remind me of successful NFL signal callers.
It surprised me that he was being viewed by scouts as potential top 5 overall pick.

Ehh maybe Im wrong, but the article doesnt surprise me much (except for the Tebow part). I think McCoy will do well in the league.

Bradford has better potential than Snead or Tebow as far as being an NFL goes, those of you saying he doesn't have a strong arm, did you watch any of theirgames last year? I agree he could be more mobile but to say he doesn't have a strong arm is nonsense. As soon as I read the AFC scout say Tebow should bethe 2nd qb picked, his opinion became null and void. There is no way ANY NFL scout would put Tebow as a QB let alone the 2nd to be picked. I think this articleis false and that the people interviewed weren't scouts at all. Bringing up Snead is pretty dumb too, he fell apart in that game last week and is gettingalot of hype that he hasn't earned in my opinion.

Bringing up Snead is pretty dumb too, he fell apart in that game last week and is getting alot of hype that he hasn't earned in my opinion.
you obviously dont watch or know much about college football....dude is the real deal....wake up

Originally Posted by airmaxpenny1

I personally like McCoy the best, I know he doesn't ahve the prototypical size but Brees is showing that small QB's can have success still.

it was interesting....last year mel kiper was saying mccoy was possibly a 3rd- mid round selection...now hes saying hes a top 10-15 pick.....im glad to seepeople finally realizing mccoy is the real deal....dude can play, and willl be good at the next level as well... def cannot teach accuracy...hes just got the"it"

I like Snead a lot, but the thing that worries me is his LOW completion %.....If I'm ranking my top 5 QB's who could potentially declare for the 2010draft, this is how I would do it..

1. Mallett
2. Clausen
3. Snead
4. McCoy
5. Bradford

then you got the rest of the bunch...

Tebow
Hiller
Lefevour
Pike
Clark
Robinson

I think my top 5 are all sure fire 1st rounders....and in the 2nd group...Tebow will most likely go first round as well. For the rest of them, there may be asurprise in round 1 (Pike), but for the most part, they are all guys who should be drafted in rounds 1-3....

Although, Pike isn't going to be a top 15 pick, with the right coaching I think Pike can succeed in the NFL.

Back
Top Bottom