Is David Stern SERIOUS?! Late Pass?

NBA expands rules on technicals:

By Henry Abbott
ESPN.com
Archive
NBA referees will have more reasons to issue technical fouls next season.

Atthe referees' annual meeting in Jersey City, N.J., on Thursday, theleague announced the guidelines for technical fouls will expand toinclude "overt" player reactions to referee calls.

Referees have been instructed to call a technical for:

• Players making aggressive gestures, such as air punches, anywhere on the court.

• Demonstrativedisagreement, such as when a player incredulously raises his hands, orsmacks his own arm to demonstrate how he was fouled.

• Running directly at an official to complain about a call.

• Excessive inquiries about a call, even in a civilized tone.

Inaddition, referees have been instructed to consider calling technicalson players who use body language to question or demonstratedispleasure, or say things like, "Come on!" They can also considertechnicals for players who "take the long path to the official",walking across the court to make their case.

Ron Johnson, the NBA's senior vice president of referee operations,said audience research was a major factor behind the change.

"Ourplayers are more personally connected to fans than any other sports,"Johnson said. "We don't have masks. ... There's nothing you can hide onthe expression of an NBA players. ... People expect hockey players tobe fighting. They expect baseball managers to be kicking dirt onumpires. But that's not our game. That's not what our fans want. Theytell us in many many ways and I think we have to adjust to meet theneeds of our league and our fans. It's a business."

Somereactions will not be penalized, Johnson said. "Heat of the moment"reactions, like a defensive player briefly raising his hands to show hehad proper position, will be acceptable.

Johnson also saidplayers showing frustration with themselves will not be penalized, andplayers will still be able to discuss the game with the referees.

"Wewant referees and players to talk to understand each other," Johnsonsaid. "If it's infrequent and not distracting, that's fine."

Forthe 2005-06 season, the NBA announced a similar crackdown, but theeffect was short-lived. Officials say this time they expect the newpolicies to stick.

"We don't want our players looking likethey're complaining about calls on the court because it makes them looklike complainers," Johnson said. "You do that six times in a game, itreally starts to look bad on television. A lot of these things may notlook as bad in the arena. But on TV, when attention is focused on it,it stands out."

NBA coaches were informed of the changes lastweek. Beginning Sept. 29th, the league will make presentations on thenew rules to the players in all NBA cities.

vhdqc1.gif

NBA expands rules on technicals:

By Henry Abbott
ESPN.com
Archive
NBA referees will have more reasons to issue technical fouls next season.

Atthe referees' annual meeting in Jersey City, N.J., on Thursday, theleague announced the guidelines for technical fouls will expand toinclude "overt" player reactions to referee calls.

Referees have been instructed to call a technical for:

• Players making aggressive gestures, such as air punches, anywhere on the court.

• Demonstrativedisagreement, such as when a player incredulously raises his hands, orsmacks his own arm to demonstrate how he was fouled.

• Running directly at an official to complain about a call.

• Excessive inquiries about a call, even in a civilized tone.

Inaddition, referees have been instructed to consider calling technicalson players who use body language to question or demonstratedispleasure, or say things like, "Come on!" They can also considertechnicals for players who "take the long path to the official",walking across the court to make their case.

Ron Johnson, the NBA's senior vice president of referee operations,said audience research was a major factor behind the change.

"Ourplayers are more personally connected to fans than any other sports,"Johnson said. "We don't have masks. ... There's nothing you can hide onthe expression of an NBA players. ... People expect hockey players tobe fighting. They expect baseball managers to be kicking dirt onumpires. But that's not our game. That's not what our fans want. Theytell us in many many ways and I think we have to adjust to meet theneeds of our league and our fans. It's a business."

Somereactions will not be penalized, Johnson said. "Heat of the moment"reactions, like a defensive player briefly raising his hands to show hehad proper position, will be acceptable.

Johnson also saidplayers showing frustration with themselves will not be penalized, andplayers will still be able to discuss the game with the referees.

"Wewant referees and players to talk to understand each other," Johnsonsaid. "If it's infrequent and not distracting, that's fine."

Forthe 2005-06 season, the NBA announced a similar crackdown, but theeffect was short-lived. Officials say this time they expect the newpolicies to stick.

"We don't want our players looking likethey're complaining about calls on the court because it makes them looklike complainers," Johnson said. "You do that six times in a game, itreally starts to look bad on television. A lot of these things may notlook as bad in the arena. But on TV, when attention is focused on it,it stands out."

NBA coaches were informed of the changes lastweek. Beginning Sept. 29th, the league will make presentations on thenew rules to the players in all NBA cities.

vhdqc1.gif

Maybe a bit much with the techs. But I've never understood why players argue. Have you EVER seen a ref reverse his call due to a player arguing all in his face?

Maybe a bit much with the techs. But I've never understood why players argue. Have you EVER seen a ref reverse his call due to a player arguing all in his face?

Originally Posted by romedadude

They don't do it on the call, but they watch the next plays more.

They don't do it on the call, but they watch the next plays more.

Originally Posted by JUS3

Commissioners taking all the emotion out of the game
30t6p3b.gif

Eh I look at it as immaturity
laugh.gif
Complaining adds literally nothing to the game of basketball except for LULZ and
30t6p3b.gif

Emotion is celebrating after a hitting a big shot FTW, making an and-1 basket, getting a huge block in the open court, coming from behind and getting the W, ETC.

Emotion is not throwing a little tamper tantrum, making a weird face, getting all up in the ref's grill, and needing a tissue after a bad call. 

Give me one instance where a player complains about a foul and the ref decides to reverse his call. 

Originally Posted by JUS3

Commissioners taking all the emotion out of the game
30t6p3b.gif

Eh I look at it as immaturity
laugh.gif
Complaining adds literally nothing to the game of basketball except for LULZ and
30t6p3b.gif

Emotion is celebrating after a hitting a big shot FTW, making an and-1 basket, getting a huge block in the open court, coming from behind and getting the W, ETC.

Emotion is not throwing a little tamper tantrum, making a weird face, getting all up in the ref's grill, and needing a tissue after a bad call. 

Give me one instance where a player complains about a foul and the ref decides to reverse his call. 

But I've never understood why players argue. Have you EVER seen a ref reverse his call due to a player arguing all in his face?

It's not even that, getting your point across so the alleged bad call doesn't happen again is vital.  Instead you get a tech for voicing your opinion? Players have a right to be emotional about questionable calls.  Refs take over games and you know this. 

But I've never understood why players argue. Have you EVER seen a ref reverse his call due to a player arguing all in his face?

It's not even that, getting your point across so the alleged bad call doesn't happen again is vital.  Instead you get a tech for voicing your opinion? Players have a right to be emotional about questionable calls.  Refs take over games and you know this. 

Originally Posted by true 3 blue

As a referee, I absolutely do not mind when a player comes up to me during a dead ball or in between quarters to discuss a play. Players trying to show up a ref after a bad call is where the player will be getting in trouble 100% of the time. Doesn't matter if the player is right or wrong, the fact that they are showing up the ref will only make things worse for that team. You think a player emotionally complaining about a questionable call isn't gonna lead the ref to become emotional as well? You bet the ref will get emotional, and therefore take over the game. There is definitely a way where a player can respectfully question the referee and get an explanation out of it and not piss him/her off. Screaming and hollering, does nothing for you. Hate all you want, but if Stern is serious about fixing the way players @#**% and moan; this might be the only way. Before you know it the NBA is gonna start looking international basketball with the way players being crying. 
I hate this analogy, but basically the refs are policing the floor. In real life, if you disrespect/show up a cop; you are only digging yourself a bigger hole. If you speak in a respectful manner and check yourself, then you are doing it the right way and the cop/ref will do what they can to accommodate you. If not, then you just gotta deal with it. Sure you could bring in the subject of refs with big egos and all that, but again that is where you need to realize some of the refs just don't like to @@%% around and will be quick to T someone up and that is something you need to deal with. 

Originally Posted by true 3 blue

As a referee, I absolutely do not mind when a player comes up to me during a dead ball or in between quarters to discuss a play. Players trying to show up a ref after a bad call is where the player will be getting in trouble 100% of the time. Doesn't matter if the player is right or wrong, the fact that they are showing up the ref will only make things worse for that team. You think a player emotionally complaining about a questionable call isn't gonna lead the ref to become emotional as well? You bet the ref will get emotional, and therefore take over the game. There is definitely a way where a player can respectfully question the referee and get an explanation out of it and not piss him/her off. Screaming and hollering, does nothing for you. Hate all you want, but if Stern is serious about fixing the way players @#**% and moan; this might be the only way. Before you know it the NBA is gonna start looking international basketball with the way players being crying. 
I hate this analogy, but basically the refs are policing the floor. In real life, if you disrespect/show up a cop; you are only digging yourself a bigger hole. If you speak in a respectful manner and check yourself, then you are doing it the right way and the cop/ref will do what they can to accommodate you. If not, then you just gotta deal with it. Sure you could bring in the subject of refs with big egos and all that, but again that is where you need to realize some of the refs just don't like to @@%% around and will be quick to T someone up and that is something you need to deal with. 

Back
Top Bottom