Is Getting A Shapeup an "Unproffesional" Look?

Yup. I don't know how someone's natural hairline is considered :x All black men before the late 80s must have been lame then:rolleyes
Yeah....

Let's rock bell bottoms and mullets while we're at it.

Throw in a double breasted suit that's baggy too...

You'll fit right in boss.

"Threatened"... :lol:

No ones threatened by a hairstyle. Black females trying to go for straight hair has nothing to do with the white man, it has to do with vanity and the "image of beauty" that society has created.

Black females with natural hair isn't a threat by any means. However it's a rat race for them and they are trying to keep up knowing damn well that brothers jump at the first piece of non-black *** the first chance they get. Sisters are tired of losing all the brothers to white girls, Asian and Latinas. So they join the rat race.

"Threat", you're misguided. Telling you guys it's a generation thing. Younger gen cares too much about something that doesn't really matter.

Also, the lighter your skin is the dumber your shape up looks, ol' five o clock shadow after two days.

im 31 and i been rocking shapeups since day 1. I wish someone would tell me my haircut is unprofessional. If I dont get a weeklyn shapeup, i'm looking like Jamie Foxx in Django, an di cant have that...

White people messed us up badly mentally, so bad this is even being discussed TODAY. 
mean.gif

At one time braids weren't professional or jheri curls even dread locks. But I've never heard about a line up being unprofessional. 

I'd never go without one. 
Alllllllllll of this.....

Repped for the realness.....

Maybe im being "too hood"... But a clean line up >>>>>> ...

As bad as it sounds now that I think about this, I see it. All the older black people at my firm dont get shape ups. I dont think its a professional thing, but a generational thing. Like my parents think the concept of getting a shape up is dumb and refuse to let my younger bro get one when he gets haircuts. Same thing they did to me until 6th grade when I started getting clowned for it in Middle school.

"Threatened"... :lol:

No ones threatened by a hairstyle. Black females trying to go for straight hair has nothing to do with the white man, it has to do with vanity and the "image of beauty" that society has created.

Black females with natural hair isn't a threat by any means. However it's a rat race for them and they are trying to keep up knowing damn well that brothers jump at the first piece of non-black *** the first chance they get. Sisters are tired of losing all the brothers to white girls, Asian and Latinas. So they join the rat race.

"Threat", you're misguided. Telling you guys it's a generation thing. Younger gen cares too much about something that doesn't really matter.

Also, the lighter your skin is the dumber your shape up looks, ol' five o clock shadow after two days.

misguided? hardly.

....its just my imagination eh?

http://www.blackenterprise.com/lifestyle/natural-hair-and-professionalism/

http://urbanbushbabes.com/2011/07/natural-hair-in-corporate-america/

Some of you dudes. :smh:
There's no way in hell I would ever go without a line.
I make it a priority to get one on job interviews and big events.
Most white people can't even tell the difference.

Lmao y'all got these white people thinking y'all can't get shapeups, boi if u worried about not getting a certain job why don't work to the point where ur resumes untouchable?? Like dude earlier said in certain industries where ur making real guap people don't care what u look like. The network admins at my job all tatted up and rock whatever. Just get that damn shapeup

Last edited:
I dunno I get haircuts but sides are natural and faded. I get same cut as like chris paul but sides n back faded out........I keep low facial stubble too. Dunno if I make sense. I look clean I just dont like super sharp lines

As long as my work shows who I am why does it matter if I have a fresh line-up or waves..I know a couple older older black guys who are wealthy and they still get lineups

:smh: At somebody saying locks are ratchet and another person saying waves are unprofessional. The ignorance and self-hate is astounding.

It amazes me how much people will question themselves just for the sake of trying to "fit in" and make money for other people. I know we need employment and whatnot, but this whole conversation is ridiculous.

By the way, older black people don't get crisp shape-ups because A.) That wasn't really the thing to do when they came up and B.) They usually have thinning or receding hairlines as it is, therefore trying to make it look crisp would look stupid.

Seriously, if your job has you so shook about being "professional" that you're worried about having waves, shape-ups, fades, or locks its time to look into another profession that isn't as heavily judged on appearance. If the current profession or job you're in is taking that much of a toll on just your choices of hairstyle, it's got to be f'in you up mentally as well.

My 2 cents, peace.

Last edited:
I don't see it unprofessional as long as it is done in taste. You can get a shape up and look clean but instead of getting your sideburns long and pointed, get them squared off cause that's more professional.

Last edited by a moderator:
Lol cats in here acting like people are actually stressing over the idea of getting a line or not. It's not that serious. I've been getting Lineups since i can remember. I've been cutting my own hair for 10 years now and I always line myself up because I preferred that look over not having one , BUT at the same time, I understand what this thread is talking about. If i want a line I will get one.

Lol cats in here acting like people are actually stressing over the idea of getting a line or not. It's not that serious. I've been getting Lineups since i can remember. I've been cutting my own hair for 10 years now and I always line myself up because I preferred that look over not having one , BUT at the same time, I understand what this thread is talking about. If i want a line I will get one.
Stressing because we responded on to a thread?

Od, famb

This dude with the unbiased links :lol:.

I'm saying, no one cares.

Now Jehri curls nd braids ARE unprofessional, sorry it's like having a Mohawk/faux hawk.

Telling you, it's really not an issue. Just know the lighter your skin, more likely that your "crisp line" is laughable.

Unprofessional, nah. But some of you guys stay not understanding folks that don't get lined up. Hip hop messed you guys up. :lol:.

This dude with the unbiased links :lol:.

I'm saying, no one cares.

Now Jehri curls nd braids ARE unprofessional, sorry it's like having a Mohawk/faux hawk.

Telling you, it's really not an issue. Just know the lighter your skin, more likely that your "crisp line" is laughable.

Unprofessional, nah. But some of you guys stay not understanding folks that don't get lined up. Hip hop messed you guys up. :lol:.

co sign.

I remember the one time I got a line up :x Never again. That five o clock shadow on your forehead the day after is much worse than not having a "fresh line up".

"Unprofessional" may not be the best term. I think "too ethnic" is closer to the point.

This.

It's not even letting white people tell you how to groom yourself, its the fact that we live in a white dominated society in the US. I've read and seen where higher ups will not take seriously a black male with a too ethnic look. The token black guy is usually the one chosen.

co sign.

I remember the one time I got a line up :x Never again. That five o clock shadow on your forehead the day after is much worse than not having a "fresh line up".

Huh? Are you black?
I've never heard of getting a 5 o'clock shadow after an edge up.

Back
Top Bottom