Is it Bad to Keep Laptops Charged?

Did this with my current Dell XPS 1730. Now I can't take it off the adapter because it doesn't charge at all. 
indifferent.gif

Originally Posted by heartofthacity

Originally Posted by leonard109

my laptop's always plugged in, with the batteries in too.
So it's better to take the batteries out?
The $$** kind of laptop do you have that run/charges without a battery..

I charge only when its very low (when I get the warning pop up). And preferably not while using it...
Leaving it plugged in whenever you use it isn't good.

I can take my battery out and it still works as long as the plug is in...

*takes battery out to check*

edit:

Yep, just took out and still writing you as we speak.
Gateway if that matters.

^ yeah they still work...if you go somewhere where they sell laptops like bestbuy,none of the laptops have the battery in it.

A lot of laptops now will switch to AC power once the battery is fully charged so it doesn't matter if you keep it plugged in. On mine you can choose if you want it to charge the battery or just run it off AC.

Also, nearly all laptops will work on AC power without the battery in ( just check in any computer shop, the ones on display usually don't have a battery in.)

if your laptop still uses NiMH batteries then it is suggest to to do full power cycles regularly to prevent building "memory", however like most people said new laptops will handle it better as they are usually Li-ion batteries, however you should NEVER let it completely discharge (as in letting it get to 0% and then letting it sit for weeks without using) as it could brick your battery

my macbook pro, i usually just keep it plugged in, and do a batter calibration every 3-4 months...

Originally Posted by heartofthacity

Originally Posted by leonard109

my laptop's always plugged in, with the batteries in too.
So it's better to take the batteries out?
The $$** kind of laptop do you have that run/charges without a battery..

I charge only when its very low (when I get the warning pop up). And preferably not while using it...
Leaving it plugged in whenever you use it isn't good.

I have an HP/Compaq laptop and you can use it if its plugged in without the battery
romedadudewrote:
Supposedly these "newer" laptops switchto AC power once the battery is fully charged, but I ain't hearing that$%%+. I have an HP dv6000 and I'm on battery #3, and I haven't even hadthe computer 2 years. Now I just unplug the charger once the batterygets full.

mine does that...the little lightling bolt led light turns off when its fully charged

Laptops: The typical lifespan of a lithium-ion laptop battery is about 18 months to 2 years, Buchmann says, but yours will last much longer if you don't punish it too much. The main stresses include undercharging, overcharging, and one that few of us consider: heat. Temperatures inside a laptop can reach more than 110 degrees Fahrenheit, which is hell for a battery.

Ideally, Buchmann says, you should try to keep your battery charged from 20 percent to 80 percent. Keep in mind that these are guidelines for ideal use—it's generally inconvenient to unplug your machine before it goes all the way to 100. But even if you're not on constant guard, be mindful of charging your machine constantly, well past when you know it's full. You also should be conscious of letting your battery run all the way to zero.

Try to keep your laptop as cool as possible. The best technique here is to charge up your battery when the computer is turned off. When your laptop is turned on and plugged in, you should pull the battery out of your computer. Yes, pull it out. "I know that's inconvenient," Buchmann says, "but keeping your laptop plugged in when the battery's fully charged—that combination is bad for your battery."

What if your battery can't be removed, as in Apple's latest laptops? Buchmann says that new laptop designs often place batteries in cooler parts of the machine, and they may also include some intelligence to limit the stress of a fully-charged battery—that is, the machines stop applying a charge when the batteries are just under full capacity. This prolongs the battery's lifespan. The trouble is, most laptop manufacturers keep their charging algorithms secret, so it's not possible to know which laptops use this battery-prolonging technique. (Bachmann assumes that Apple does so based on its battery-promoting advertisements.) But even if your computer is clever enough to stop charging the battery when it's full, you're still better off removing the battery if it is removable. This will help your battery beat the heat.

http://www.slate.com/id/2234009/pagenum/all/#p2

i have a newer Toshiba and leave this bad boy plugged in 24/7.. its high speed with all the economical crap power saving and what not. i think its safe to keep it plugged in.. am i wrong?

Originally Posted by bud dink

mines be on the charger for coming on 3 years, and its a compaq....i

eek.gif

This dude couldn't even finish his sentence until his computer turned off.

laugh.gif

I learned the hard way (pause)..

Now my battery straight up only lasts for a good 20 mins on low power..
mad.gif

Time to hit up eBay for a new batt.
ohwell.gif

new laptops are fine...but really it sounds like a lot of you guys are using laptops as your main PC, that will obviously reduce the life span of it
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by deemster

eek.gif

laugh.gif

mad.gif

ohwell.gif
check batteryheads.com

it came from Utah to NC in one day
pimp.gif

Mine stays on the charger and according to iStatPro battery health is at 100% after about a year and a half. Black Macbook if that matters

Originally Posted by romedadude

Originally Posted by deemster

eek.gif

laugh.gif

mad.gif

ohwell.gif
check batteryheads.com

it came from Utah to NC in one day
pimp.gif
Much appreciated.

Thanks for the info fam.

pimp.gif

If you always have it plugged in, at least take it off the charger and discharge the battery entirely once a month to recallibrate it.

Originally Posted by Jordan Novice

How do you discharge or recalibrate it?

Use your laptop without the charger and basically use it until your laptop battery runs out and shuts down your laptop. Then let cool off for about a few hours and then recharge the laptop back to a 100%.

My HP pavilion overheated like ever 5 minutes, the repair shop said the reason was leaving it on the charger.

Back
Top Bottom