Is it me or is the market for European Football bigger than people think in America?

Originally Posted by LilStarZ07

man im not bashing any other part of the world lol ... im just saying to think soccer will be mainstream in america is simply absurd ... theres no way it competes with any sport over here it just wont happen ... i like soccer, i enjoy it because ive played it and i apprecaite the athleticism the dudes have ... but its not coming here and making noise in any type of market ...

I don't think this is the same poster, you realize this is the first time you haven't come off as an idiot the entire thread right? You still speak incertainties but that's aright, probably a personality trait or something. Soccer is already competing with the other american sports, but I wouldn'texpect you to undestand that. No one is saying soccer will ever be the dominant sport here, but a lot of us believe it will continue to grow and has thepontential to see mainstream success.

my bad homie i dont wanna get e-jumped ... you go hard son you got it ...

Son you can play that game if you want, you're goin the hardest of anyone in this thread.
laugh.gif

It's a shame you show signs of actually possessing the ability to have a discussion then all of a sudden you on some other %$%%.
tired.gif

cuz its not that serious to me and the subject isnt either, for that matter ... because its outlandish in my eyes to actuallty sit there ane believe there is aserious market in the US for european soccer ... as ive said before, no one aside from europeans, other immigrants who came from countries where soccerdominated their culture and those who play soccer is even giving a damn about the sport ...

there will never be a day where a regular joe sits down and says you know what instead of this nfl football game, nba basketball game, mlb baseball game, ncaafootball/basketball game, hockey game etc... im gonna watch this european soccer contest ... just not happening ...

never wanted to offend anyone but i guess the truth hurts

Son you're oblivious. You think because of your experiences that the whole country must feel and act the same way.

because its very very very very very unlikely that a sport thats been around for god knows how long all of a sudden becomes main stream piping hot in the US... if it hasnt happened by now, what makes you think it will happen in our lifetime? theres just no room for it ... now, if the US continues to becomepopulated with more and more europeans and such, then maybe ... but that wont happen for hundreds of years

i give up arguing with people who believe soccer is more entertaining than baseball LMAO ... just know that soccer will never be big in the US and its because of the reasons ive mentioned ... cherio
LOL have you heard a baseball stadium? its about as loud as a university lecture hall at times.

soccer has the best atmosphere bar none. i'd say up here in toronto i know more people that like soccer than baseball..easily.

Originally Posted by after h0urs

They're not as ignorant as you think. ESPN knows very well the potential here in America, but they also know they'd be stupid to try and sway viewers to a foreign sport over the NFL, NBA, MLB, etc. Those sports will absolutely punish ESPN for trying such an act. They're not going to let their popularity slide out from under them.

It goes both ways. American sports will never fully penetrate Europe because, minus culture, the media networks will never even get them a chance.

word.

AirJordan gonna disagree with you when you downplay baskeball's popularity. Its huge in Spain/Italy/England and tons of Eastern European countries likeSerbia/Croatia/Slovenia/Russia.

Its also getting bigger in Western and Eastern Africa.

there is a market but no way will it touch sports in america...not even hockey......

im not downplaying basketball. i know its becoming somewhat popular. its just not as popular as people make it out to be. just because those countries youmentioned are good at it doesn't mean its wildly popular. I'll admit it though, it does have a following in the Mediterranean and eastern europe. Iwouldn't go as far as to say its even a top 8 world sport though.

and its big in spain and italy but wouldn't say HUGE. Its def not huge in england either. i go there almost every year and it gets hardly any press. i meanits on tv there, but people dont really bother with it THAT much. I hope the sport continues to grow though!

Originally Posted by AirJordanSeattle23

cricket is def more popular than basketball. its WILDLY popular in india which is the second most populated country on earth.. Rugby is also very popular too.

http://wiki.answers.com/Q...pular_sport_in_the_world

http://ezinearticles.com/...-The-World&id=551180

basketball is popular, but not THAT popular. iv traveled the world and most people dont seem to really care about basketball. maybe casual fans..

I can tell you right now that the list you posted is pure horse @%$+.

Basketball is WILDLY popular in China, with is THE most populated country on earth. It's hard to tell whether soccer or basketball is the most popularsport in China, but whichever of the two is #2, it's not far behind #1. In Europe, overall, basketball is easily the second most popular team sport. Innorthern Europe it's not that big, but in southern Europe it's huge.

because its very very very very very unlikely that a sport thats been around for god knows how long all of a sudden becomes main stream piping hot in the US ... if it hasnt happened by now, what makes you think it will happen in our lifetime? theres just no room for it ... now, if the US continues to become populated with more and more europeans and such, then maybe ... but that wont happen for hundreds of years
Man your thought process is *@!$%% up. Soccer isn't all of a sudden going to become anything. The sport has been seeing steady growth sincethe 80's, it saw a boom in the early 90's, experienced a stagnent period in the late 90's, saw another boom in the early 2000's and hascontinued to grow at a tremendous pace since. Soccer hasn't slowly been developing since the 1900's at a constant rate, even discussing the sportsgrowth in the country prior to the late 70's isn't even worth it.

I'm done though, we'll have to agree to disagree.

Originally Posted by Xtapolapacetl

cricket is def more popular than basketball. its WILDLY popular in india which is the second most populated country on earth.. Rugby is also very popular too.

basketball is popular, but not THAT popular. iv traveled the world and most people dont seem to really care about basketball. maybe casual fans..

Basketball is WILDLY popular in China, with is THE most populated country on earth. It's hard to tell whether soccer or basketball is the most popular sport in China, but whichever of the two is #2, it's not far behind #1. In Europe, overall, basketball is easily the second most popular team sport. In northern Europe it's not that big, but in southern Europe it's huge.
nah its not crap. its real. face it american sports arent anymore popular abroad than than foreign sports are here...

also i was just in shanghai/beijing a few weeks ago and i didn't see much press about bball on tv. i saw a few billboards and what not but not a whole lotof hype on the street where you say its wildly popular.

its a well known fact outside america that cricket/ rugby are close to the top behind football/soccer.

because its very very very very very unlikely that a sport thats been around for god knows how long all of a sudden becomes main stream piping hot in the US ... if it hasnt happened by now, what makes you think it will happen in our lifetime? theres just no room for it ... now, if the US continues to become populated with more and more europeans and such, then maybe ... but that wont happen for hundreds of years

What about the growing influence of Latin-American countries? Texas and California are already Minority-majority states and NY is next.

Originally Posted by Frankie Valentino

What about the growing influence of Latin-American countries? Texas and California are already Minority-majority states and NY is next.
Naw, we don't like soccer anymore.
Beisbol PLV!
happy.gif

In all seriousness, maybe. I mean California and Texas has 5 MLS teams

Originally Posted by Xtapolapacetl

AirJordanSeattle23 wrote:

cricket is def more popular than basketball. its WILDLY popular in india which is the second most populated country on earth.. Rugby is also very popular
too.

Basketball is WILDLY popular in China, with is THE most populated country on earth. It's hard to tell whether soccer or basketball is the most popular
sport in China, but whichever of the two is #2, it's not far behind #1. In Europe, overall, basketball is easily the second most popular team sport. In
northern Europe it's not that big, but in southern Europe it's huge.
nah its not crap. its real. face it american sports arent anymore popular abroad than than foreign sports are here...

also i was just in shanghai/beijing a few weeks ago and i didn't see much press about bball on tv. i saw a few billboards and what not but not a whole lot of hype on the street where you say its wildly popular.

its a well known fact outside america that cricket/ rugby are close to the top behind football/soccer.

The list you posted is most definitely horse %+%% - fact. Basketball is no more an "American sport" than soccer is an "European sport".Basketball is a sport that originated in America, but really, it's a world sport, not an American sport. When you say mention basketball as an Americansport, you must have mixed it with football and baseball - those are American sports.

Outside of the former British colonies, cricket is played on a grass roots level... Like water polo is played in the U.S. Rugby has decent popularity, but thenagain unlike cricket it's not big in India. Basketball is the #1 sport or VERY close to being a #1 sport in as diverse countries as China, Lithuania,Philippines and Greece. I don't know what you experienced in your trip to China, but I know for a fact that basketball is at least the second biggest sportthere. In Europe, other than soccer, basketball is the only sport that has a true continental league, like the Champions League.

Yeah unaware....Basketball was actually invented by a Canadian and is huge internationally.

There is no way more people play/watch cricket than basketball. Just because the World Championships aren't as big as the Cricket world cup doesn'tmean anything. The domestic leagues in China, the Phillipines and all over Europe are their own testament to its popularity.

india
pakistan
sri lanka
england
australia
south africa
new zealand

british colonies or not those countries alone make cricket more popular than basketball. you guys dont know to much about world sport. no offense of course.

india
pakistan
sri lanka
england
australia
south africa
new zealand

british colonies or not those countries alone make cricket more popular than basketball. you guys dont know to much about world sport. no offense of course.

Yeah, cricket has those countries, Bangladesh and some Caribbean islands, but those are the ONLY countries in the world where the sport is played at a nonegrass-roots level. Also, those are the only countries in the world where cricket is more popular than basketball.. Everywhere, and I mean EVERYWHERE else, theopposite is the case, and in most cases basketball isn't just more popular but much more popular.

Wow, this thread has gone back and forth with a lot of crap. Various people are making various arguments but often about different things, talking past eachother.

LilStarZ07, you will probably be surprised in 20 years time when a lot of young kids that played soccer have grown up and all watch soccer on TV and go to MLSgames. MLS will be a lot more popular than it is now and baseball will probably die off some as a lot of fans literally die off. There are more hispanicsentering the USA all the time who also love baseball but love soccer just as much, if not more.

However, you are right about thinking European soccer is not going to get huge inside America because of two factors.
1. It's on at the wrong time so live games are tough to watch. Afternoon and evening games are on too early in the day for American time zones.
2. Too many Americans, especially sports fans, are too insulated. Once soccer does become popular in the USA they will want to watch an American league, notwatch foreigners. At the same time the young Americans playing now will be highly skilled and the MLS will be a great competition plus many South Americanplayers will come to play there.

30-50 years from now I see North and South America, Asia and Europe all having soccer leagues of similar levels quality and a lot more regular internationalmatches involving teams from all continents. At the same time I see baseball dieing off, American Football not expanding outside America and basketball perhapsgrowing in popularity due to it's ease of access, fast tempo, free flowing style and relative low risk of injury.

Also, all motor sports will die because watching silent, solar powered cars is boring.
tongue.gif

india
pakistan
sri lanka
england
australia
south africa
new zealand

laugh.gif
indifferent.gif
...too much wiki facts for this child

Originally Posted by eddiehouse5

Originally Posted by RUTHE1

Some brought it up before but what do you think of ESPN losing the rights to Champions League to FOX Soccer Channel? I hear that they will broadcast one of the games on their and some on local regional sports networks and FX since FSC is a premium channel.
http://niketalk.yuku.com/reply/5165984#reply-5165984

mikey, i wish you all the best man, it's tough out there in this economy.

Oh didn't see that, Thanks for not being a douche about it. (Gives thumbs up)

Back
Top Bottom