Is it safe to say Breaking Bad > The Wire?

The thing I feel is that both the shows are appealing to a certain group of people
The wire is GOOD but breaking bad is a on whole different

When watching TW I would be like "aight cool, dude is on the streets getting busy" while chilling

When watching BB I was damn near always on the edge of my seat from how intense the show would get

To be honest I love both. But like Brother Mouzone said in The Wire, "You know what the most dangerous thing in America is, right? ****** with a library card. That's where I see Walt fitting in. I like the idea how BB displays that there is not one character in the show that the audience will continually root for; it kind of gives that silver lining that one can good or bad depending which they act on.

*side note*
Walt makes me think this:
Spoiler [+]
Sheldon+supervillain.jpg

And is it just me or does there seem to be some similar characteristics between Gus from, BB, and Brother Mouzone from TW?

Spoiler [+]
250px-Bbs4gus.jpg
The_Wire_Brother_Mouzone.jpg

i'd bet that most people saying Breaking Bad is better prob watched the Wire reruns online/DVD within the last few years because people told them to, whereas they've been watching Breaking Bad weekly as it comes out. that makes a big difference.
tough to imagine how anybody could unbiasedly watch both and say Breaking Bad is a better production than The Wire. not that BB isn't a great show.

Originally Posted by The Notorious Bum

The thing I feel is that both the shows are appealing to a certain group of people
The wire is GOOD but breaking bad is a on whole different

When watching TW I would be like "aight cool, dude is on the streets getting busy" while chilling

When watching BB I was damn near always on the edge of my seat from how intense the show would get
There's a little more to it than that
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by CoolNClutch

Pointless comparison. Both shows are completely different aside from being involved with drugs. The Wire is all about realism and portraying the streets in a drama. Breaking Bad is more of a thriller. You can't make a legit conclusion that one is better than the other. There are things The Wire is great at and BB is weak at and there are things BB is great at that The Wire is weak at. Apples to oranges. In fact, it makes more sense to compare Friday Night Lights with The Wire since both shows excel in their realism. BB is not trying to make an accurate depiction of life or the drug game. It's about Walter White's journey through morality
completely agree

As someone who has watched both shows through and through I would have to say Breaking Bad by a close margin. For me, my measurement of which was better is by how eager I was to watch the next episode. 
Although The Wire was riveting and made me watch all 5 seasons within 2 months - I honestly finished all 3 seasons of BB in 2 weeks.  If there were 5 seasons of BB to watch I probably would've finished it in 3 weeks. It's that good. I couldn't stop clicking the next file once I finished 1 episode of BB - I couldn't resist it was like Walter had me hooked on his drug lol

I only watched two seasons of The Wire, so I'm not really qualified to compare the two. Having said that, I enjoyed The Wire and will at some point start from the beginning to see the characters develop. Seeing how it all ended makes me less motivated, but I still feel the need because the characters were all interesting.

Breaking Bad though... If you haven't started watching it yet, do yourself a favor and get hooked on it. It's a show with consequences which is something you don't usually see on TV. That's all I'll say because I don't want to ruin the experience for anyone.

There has never been a more detailed show than Breaking Bad. Ever. I'm planning on starting The Wire very soon but most people I know have told me they preferred BB over The Wire.

To start, I've never seen Breaking Bad, but I can say definitively that it is not a better show than the wire, and explain why.If you choose to measure shows off of pure entertainment factor, then, well you can argue that the bachlorette is better than the wire and it would end up being your opinion against mine. While entertainment is the end goal, of a tv show, there is so much more to the wire, which is the reason I feel no show has been or ever will be as good. (If a show comes along, I'll be more than happy to eat these words)1. Plot-driven vs Character - The wire is plot-driven, most other shows are character driven. It's why I have such a hard time getting into other shows. David Simon had a vision and a story to tell, and that story was about the city of Baltimore, and by extension: America. As such, his show was plot-driven, holding allegience to no characters. He used them merely as devices to convey his story, discarding many fan favorites along the way (Wee-bay got locked up, Stringer got murked, Avon spent a whole season on the periphery). Most other shows are character driven, and as such hold very little drama for me, because regardless of whatever circumstance they find themselves in, I have no doubt they will come out of it alive. What are the chances of Hugh Laurie's character disappearing for a couple of episodes on House? Tony Soprano made it all the way through the entirety of the show, despite numerous attempts on his life. What's even worse is when a show built on a cast of likeable characters adds a new character for half-a-season, just to build a slight emotional attachment with the audience and then kill them off simply to create the illusion of drama. "Oh my gosh, a team member died." Sure, but was he ever really part of "the team." Really? Ugggh.2. Social Commentary - The wire was entertaining, but it was also a masterpiece: a tale of the plight of American inner-cities and its inability to accomodate the livelihoods of all its citizens, a parable of what societies do with people who they no longer need. If all you got out of the show was entertainment, well, I'm glad you enjoyed the ride, but you missed the message. 3. Immersiveness - this is primarily due to the fact the cast is made up of a bunch of, until then, relatively unknown UK and US actors, but also partly due to the fact that the show is based in reality, not on some far flung premise, and lastly due to the fact that the acting is top notch. I can't quite explain it, but I feel, in the wire, as in know other show that I've ever watched...do you forget that you are watching actors on a screen.

Originally Posted by CripwalkinK

There has never been a more detailed show than Breaking Bad. Ever. I'm planning on starting The Wire very soon but most people I know have told me they preferred BB over The Wire.
The Wire is every bit as detailed as BB you'll see once you watch it

Originally Posted by ExtRaOrDinaRy SwAg

I'll take your word for it, currently downloading the episodes. But Breaking Bad got me addicted, like I be thinking about it during the entire week like "wth's gonna happen next episode?!?!"

I'll take your word for it, currently downloading the episodes. But Breaking Bad got me addicted, like I be thinking about it during the entire week like "wth's gonna happen next episode?!?!"
yeah I watched all 3 seasons of Breaking Bad in a week to lead up to the season 4 premiere. Show is excellent, gonna be sad to see it go but realistically is HAS to end

Both great story lines.

BB better acting.

Wire better character development.

Not apples and oranges, but more like red apples and green apples. It's just what you prefer, but both are great.

Breaking Bad is cool but its def no Wire. The Wire is easily the best show of all time

yeah I watched all 3 seasons of Breaking Bad in a week to lead up to the season 4 premiere. Show is excellent, gonna be sad to see it go but realistically is HAS to end

Definitely. I'm actually glad it's ending in 16 episodes because it would honestly start to lose it's heat if it went on forever. Probably the best TV show I've ever seen.

i clicked this just cuz the headline i havent seen BB alot of ppl have been tellin me to peep it and thats a bold statement to say its better than the wire, but after The Wonder Years ima check it out an give u my feedback on this statement:.

You shouldn't post in here if you haven't seen both....
That being said, "The Wire" offers its viewers an overall glimpse in "that life". May it be street or politics. I feel "The Wire" covers so many more topics than "Breaking Bad". Although, BB has really captivated me with the way the characters feed off one another. BB was cast perfectly. The Wire gave us many characters, but the development was lacking because of the prolific amount of actors. As far as suspense at the end of episodes, BB> The Wire

I just enjoyed "The Wire" a bit more because of all the topics that were covered. I love the seasons with the Barksdale crew, but season 2 isn't slacking because the shipyard had so many intricacies. The attention to detail puts the "The Wire"> Breaking Bad storyline wise. BB seems kind of easy to predict, because there are only a few options when the story is presented. "The Wire" had me with the Wee-bay shocked gif on numerous occasions. 

Summed up...The Wire> Breaking Bad in a decision. Both great shows...I like the way David Simon presented his story a little better.

Back
Top Bottom