Is it time for the NFL to get rid of the Blackout Rule?

Originally Posted by Th3RealF0lkBlu3s

This thread would be started by a Raider fan
laugh.gif

But seriously, if it's within the NFL's legal right to pursue blackouts to encourage fans to show up to games then I have no problem with it. Fans and teams should do more to keep their team on the air.

QFT.....the entire message.

laugh.gif

But seriously, if it's within the NFL's legal right to pursue blackouts to encourage fans to show up to games then I have no problem with it. Fans and teams should do more to keep their team on the air.

good response.

if the raiders don't sell out games this season it's inexcusable.  to my knowledge the raiders have some of the cheapest ticket prices in the nfl

laugh.gif

eek.gif
pimp.gif
QFT.

Force fans to go to games and hang out with drunk a-holes that can't handle their liquor? No thanks, terrible rule, revenue could easy be made up via PPV or some other method (The ticket, etc)

It's an antiquated rule from the days before giant flat panel TVs and the ability to watch many games at once. The home viewing experience is good enough now that it doesn't justify the rule anymore. Nowadays if a game is blacked out, people are less inclined to buy a ticket as they are to just walk down the street to their local bar. Yeah, the NFL makes money off the Sunday Ticket package, but it's not putting butts in seats, which generates a lot more money.

Or maybe task like the Raiders should have front offices that do more to push the product even if it is terrible. Sell tickets to companies to give to their employees or radio stations where they can, in turn, use as a tool/giveaway/prize to boost their own ratings through contests and such.

As much as I love the bay, we have some of the wackest/dumbest sports fans here. Both Oakland and SF. I work at the Raiders team store and 9er fans have been trying to come in talking #$%% like crazy this year but last year y'all would just walk by quietly. That's not to say I don't deal with ******ed Raiders fans at work frequently too. I honestly never cared about the rivalry that much because they're not even in the AFC but y'all will complain about how much of !**%* Raiders fans are then proceed to go off when you become relevant again. You guys sucked %@$ as long as we did and yes both teams are looking better this year. Accept it.

Originally Posted by zube42

As much as I love the bay, we have some of the wackest/dumbest sports fans here. Both Oakland and SF. I work at the Raiders team store and 9er fans have been trying to come in talking #$%% like crazy this year but last year y'all would just walk by quietly. That's not to say I don't deal with ******ed Raiders fans at work frequently too. I honestly never cared about the rivalry that much because they're not even in the AFC but y'all will complain about how much of !**%* Raiders fans are then proceed to go off when you become relevant again. You guys sucked %@$ as long as we did and yes both teams are looking better this year. Accept it.

The hell does this have to do with the topic?

Originally Posted by dland24

Making fun of the Raiders was more relevant? Pretty sure this whole damn thread is full of $*!+ talk not related to the topic.

Originally Posted by dland24

Making fun of the Raiders was more relevant? Pretty sure this whole damn thread is full of $*!+ talk not related to the topic.

You should try rereading the thread homie. Every post was regarding the topic of blackouts.

Force fans to go to games and hang out with drunk a-holes that can't handle their liquor? No thanks, terrible rule, revenue could easy be made up via PPV or some other method (The ticket, etc)

This.

It's an antiquated rule from the days before giant flat panel TVs and the ability to watch many games at once. The home viewing experience is good enough now that it doesn't justify the rule anymore. Nowadays if a game is blacked out, people are less inclined to buy a ticket as they are to just walk down the street to their local bar. Yeah, the NFL makes money off the Sunday Ticket package, but it's not putting butts in seats, which generates a lot more money.

And this.

If you think not going to the stadium means you aren't supporting your team / you aren't a real fan then go check out the current TV and radio contracts owners are pocketing as well as merchandise sales.

Teams are getting plenty of "support" from the non-ticket buying consumer.

The owners just created this model years ago to cover their butts and convince the public this is the manly way to support your team and be a real fan. And it's still working.

The NFL is actually doing ya'lls a favor not having to watch the Raiders take L's every week
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by tSamShoX

The NFL is actually doing ya'lls a favor not having to watch the Raiders take L's every week
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
I know a niner fan isnt talking about taking L's?
laugh.gif
yall have sucked just as long as we did 
roll.gif

Originally Posted by JumpmanFromDaBay

Originally Posted by tSamShoX

laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
I know a niner fan isnt talking about taking L's?
laugh.gif
yall have sucked just as long as we did 
roll.gif
It's always some 49er fan talking @#$% for no reason just because they started being good in 2011. As if 2004-2010 didn't exist
indifferent.gif
I don't hate the Niners, but c'mon, some of you go out of your way to hate on the Raiders and especially their fans (Calling all of us goons when you have just as many cholos at your games, a plethora of Norteno fans, etc).

The NFL makes enough on TV rights these days that it probably wouldn't affect the bottom line too much if the blackout rule was laid to rest. That being said, scores of empty seats just look terrible on television.

What is the guideline to be considered a "sold out" game? Is it really to be devoid of all tickets to the game?

Why is nobody saying anything about Jumpan's original point? He's right, the games are too expensive. There are entire segments of the population who will never go to games because of the cost. I know people that are serious fans that have never been to a game because they're not affordable.

laugh.gif
at Niner clowns. All your fans from outside the city (which is most of them) are rich guppies from Contra Costa and Santa Clara counties who give their tickets away when you guys suck.

Originally Posted by HAM CITY

Why is nobody saying anything about Jumpan's original point? He's right, the games are too expensive. There are entire segments of the population who will never go to games because of the cost. I know people that are serious fans that have never been to a game because they're not affordable.

laugh.gif
at Niner clowns. All your fans from outside the city (which is most of them) are rich guppies from Contra Costa and Santa Clara counties who give their tickets away when you guys suck.

The tickets are way to expensive. It cost about over 100 just to go to a game. I love to tailgate when I go and parking is 35$
sick.gif

laugh.gif
Man...I'm a Niner fan and I really don't hate the Raiders one bit. Have nothing against them at all...

Originally Posted by dmxfury

nobodys forcing you to  do anything, but if u dont want to go and support your team dont get mad when ur games arent being shown.......its your choice

Originally Posted by TennHouse2

Originally Posted by dmxfury

nobodys forcing you to  do anything, but if u dont want to go and support your team dont get mad when ur games arent being shown.......its your choice

Terrible logic, buying tickets isn't the only way to support your team.

It's this way of thinking that allows teams to have this asinine rule as well as charge the prices they do for tickets and concessions. Owners love people like this.

And when you don't show games in the home market, then you are essentially forcing people. I just think it's crap that if you buy the Ticket it is still blacked out. That's ridiculous. And as many have reiterated, buying tickets does not equate to supporting the team.

Back
Top Bottom