Is Nike no longer as cool as it used to be?

Nike prices went too high and quality has gone way down. Also making shoes impossible to get will hurt your brand.

Their jerseys for all three sports are garbage too.

Was in Foot Locker for the first time in months and they had mad Nikes and Jays sitting.
It was funny when nike fanboys were hyped about nike making jerseys for nba, nfl, and mlb. Acting like they wouldn't have garbage designs with crazy price increases.

Yeah It's really just a generational thing.

Never got the chance to wear a pair. when I was running. I went from Lunar to React soles and stuck with that. From my understanding, joyride tech was pretty much a failure?
nike didn't have the sales they hoped for. the cost for materials and production played a big factor. I didn't use them for running but for long walks they were great.

Remember back in 2016 to 2018? Boost was the wave, most Jordan 1s were hitting the sales too. Virgil ‘The Ten’ made Jordan Brand/Nike’s cool again (as well as adidas overdoing ultra boost and NMDs).
As someone who had to jump through hoops to buy Jordan 1s on multiple occasions during this period, I know they weren't hitting sales. I mean ****, I own 2 pairs of Jordan 1s from that same era that go for 4 figures on stock x right now after a price dip :lol:

Well in the UK at least at that time all the OG Jordan 1 lows hit the sales. You had colourways like the UNC and Storm Blue highs hitting the sales as well as the metallics on the sales racks.

As someone who had to jump through hoops to buy Jordan 1s on multiple occasions during this period, I know they weren't hitting sales. I mean ****, I own 2 pairs of Jordan 1s from that same era that go for 4 figures on stock x right now after a price dip :lol:

Metallics are the only ones that were really hitting sales post 2012 besides the wack non OG ones.

and Storm and Carolina blues was closer to 2013-2014. I didn't have any problems getting them, because I got them at store opening, but stores only got a size run or two back then.

Might not be the right thread for this, but have you guys seen this yet?

Tl;dr - Nike sends an invite to teachers to voluntarily grade papers/essays, which leads to backlash due to the company not opting to pay teachers to grade the papers/essays instead.

DCAllAfrican DCAllAfrican edshoecator edshoecator moe200069 moe200069

I know I'd never do such a thing for FREE.

Metallics are the only ones that were really hitting sales post 2012 besides the wack non OG ones.

and Storm and Carolina blues was closer to 2013-2014. I didn't have any problems getting them, because I got them at store opening, but stores only got a size run or two back then.

Carolinas were like 2015 I think and Storms I want to say '16??? Idk it all blends in we got UNCs, Chicagos, BT's, Storm Blues, Breds and those metallics all in like a 2 year window. Then the Royals and Shadows in '17 and '18. Nike will never give us a Jordan 1 OG run like that again.

Of all those the only ones that were really high tickets around $300-$350 ish out the gate were the Chicagos and Breds. Everything else was either decently easy to get for retail or barely going for much over retail on the after market for a good few months later.

"Volunteer", tho.

There is this dangerous narrative that educators love students and kids so much that we do not have to be compensated for our labor because we "love our job".

Don't get me wrong I like what I do. But I don't work for free. I still got bills to pay.

I totally understand that but when you volunteer for something, you understand there will be no compensation. At least thats what I thought.

I totally understand that but when you volunteer for something, you understand there will be no compensation. At least thats what I thought.

But why would Nike feel comfortable asking teachers to volunteer to do that?

There is this dangerous narrative that educators love students and kids so much that we do not have to be compensated for our labor because we "love our job".

Don't get me wrong I like what I do. But I don't work for free. I still got bills to pay.

Yea and if/when you ask to be compensated you don't truly love the kids/calling.

It's just a goofball guilt-trip thing that happens in this country when it comes to work period. Not just in this profession.

Feeding the homeless is volunteering....performing your job for free for a billion dollar corporation so they can use a few scholarships as tax breaks isn't.

I don't see Nike asking anyone else to work for them for free.

I drive 2 1/2 hrs back to my alma mater each spring to sit on the panel for scholarship interviews. Even they give me lunch and $300 for my time.

Then why sign up for it? Volunteering is volunteering. The definition doesn't change depending on the company. I get what you're saying, don't get me wrong, people should be compensated for their work, when they are hired but this aint that. You can't sign a contract that has 'volunteer' written all over, realized you just signed up for some work and be like, "HoW cOMe YoU nOT pAyINg Me?", after the fact.

Then why sign up for it? Volunteering is volunteering. The definition doesn't change depending on the company. I get what you're saying, don't get me wrong, people should be compensated for their work, when they are hired but this aint that. You can't sign a contract that has 'volunteer' written all over, realized you just signed up for some work and be like, "HoW cOMe YoU nOT pAyINg Me?", after the fact.

This isn't buyers remorse after the fact.

Nike sent out an email ASKING for teachers to volunteer. Why is NIKE a billion dollar corporation the biggest sports brand in the world who's base is in Portland Oregon where they literally just had teacher strikes asking teachers to perform labor for them for free? The mere offer itself is insulting.

How come they're not asking construction workers to build them a new Nike Store for free? Would that thought even process as something they would try throw out there?

And thats why you don't accept the offer. Also they're talking about Texas. This is rich lawyers trying to get richer, dont jump behind this.

And thats why you don't accept the offer. Also they're talking about Texas. This is rich lawyers trying to get richer, dont jump behind this.

You still didn't answer my question. Why is Nike not asking construction workers to build them retail store fronts for free?

They would just be able to say no too, but why has that offer not been made?

You still didn't answer my question. Why is Nike not asking construction workers to build them retail store fronts for free?

They would just be able to say no too, but why has that offer not been made?

Easier to guilt trip a teacher into doing free work since it's kinda already an expectation of the profession.

But logically, you present a great counter-question.

Slightly off topic, but I remember reading a press release about their BHM sneakers ages ago. Portions of the proceeds went towards buying sports equipment for neighborhood schools and rec centers.

That **** blew me because they have more than enough capital, and I'm willing to bet a surplus of sports equipment, to just out right donate :rofl:

Easier to guilt trip a teacher into doing free work since it's kinda already an expectation of the profession.

But logically, you present a great counter-question.

I could go into how since teaching is a majority female profession is a huge part of it too but I'm not trying to burn NT down today.

Slightly off topic, but I remember reading a press release about their BHM sneakers ages ago. Portions of the proceeds went towards buying sports equipment for neighborhood schools and rec centers.

That **** blew me because they have more than enough capital, and I'm willing to bet a surplus of sports equipment, to just out right donate :rofl:

This was kinda the argument people used when there was backlash @ Ophra and Rock for asking for donations to help rebuild Maui. Sure they COULD have donated ONLY their own money but they probably thought, "Why not get more money from crowd sourcing."

Back
Top Bottom