Is the Instant Sell Out and Hype Finally Declining?

I have noticed the past few months, shoes are becoming readily available and not an instant sell out. I can walk in stores and see Chile red 9s, Jordan XI low, Jordan 13s navy, purple and yellow, Jordan 1 brotherhood etc. now just sitting on shelves after a release. Do you all think it's because of too many releases in a short span, financial hardships, inflation, or the hype train is finally coming to an end?

Last edited:
Inflation is causing people to become more selective of what they buy. $210 retail for a pair of retros makes your average pair of Jordans around $225-$235 after tax. Also a lot of stuff is getting staggered releases so there’s no rush to go out and race to cop something.

Inflation liked stated above I've noticed this as well along with other things in life I think graphics cards should be easier to get soon lol

Trash releases #1 limits demand.
Decent kicks sellout immediately in 1-6 + 11s. Even these boring mostly white 6s sold out. JB is just milking the brand. Resellers will cause anything decent to sellout. Easter colors, green bean, Jade Horizon. 🙄

Look at the OGs released from 2013-2018. Esp in the 1s we got chis, black toes, banned, royals + a bunch more UNCs etc…

Lately it’s reverse and 85s in low demand colors and color blocking.

At least this year the yellow toe taxi 1s or whatever look good. These muslin chi1 are bound to disappoint.

OG 2s…. Eh.

The OW 2s 💩all over any of these new collabs of 2s btw. It’s not even fair.

garbage releases is the problem. Look at this 4 military coming out tomorrow . Nice shoe and will be sold out asap. Also heritage is nice too and will sell out.

Whatever it is, let's hope it continues to head in this direction.
I agree with you completely. But the problem is when JB realizes their products are not moving like they want them to. All this leads to is them going back to making them that much harder to get. Since we never really know their production numbers of certain releases, its hard to judge demand.

IMO I dont think it's dipped yet as much as it may seem. As others mentioned OG colorways and collabs and hype train releases all are gone in one second. SNKRS app is still giving the Heisman to almost everyone. Hype I think is still at level red and so are resale practices.

I do agree there are so many releases now it's tough to keep up.

JB def saving me lots of money this year so far. I’ve only copped UNC 6’s, playoff 12’s, and Navy 13’s. Got my eyes on Citrus 7’s, Fire Red 3’s, Cherry 11’s, and maybe Chi 1’s depending how they turn out.

Search Jordan 1 and your size on eBay listed ending soonest and that will tell you prices are coming down. Over half have zero bids in my 11.5.

IMO I dont think it's dipped yet as much as it may seem. As others mentioned OG colorways and collabs and hype train releases all are gone in one second. SNKRS app is still giving the Heisman to almost everyone. Hype I think is still at level red and so are resale practices.

I do agree there are so many releases now it's tough to keep up.

I'm definitely not talking about the collabs and super hyped releases. Those of course are instant sell outs. But, the past 3 years, anything JB put out were instant sell outs. Now, it appears to be coming back down to pre pandemic levels where you can walk in a store and see a shoe weeks later. Maybe even get a good pair at a discount at the Nike outlet. Heck, it would be even better if those releases made it to the outlet and the outlets started back taking phone orders.

Don't know if you've been paying attention to the economy, but gas and food are increasingly expensive along with housing. Those are staples. People are getting less bang for their buck due to inflation and we're entering a recession. Certain shoes will still sell out, but as matters become more pressing, people are making choices. Pre COVID and the government shutdowns, people had money to spend, now they don't.

I've gotten everything I wanted so far this year. Only paid resell on a pair of 72 and 10 lows from ebay since I could only grab 1 on rd. With the coupon, they were 212 shipped, same as my Champs pair. While this is good, it's still not to pre covid levels. I got multiple pairs of both snake skin 11 lows for at least 20 percent under retail as well as multiple 3s for under retail. I hope we get back to that level again but I'm not confident.

Is the hype dying down on hype colorways or just dying down in general?

Because those are two separate issues.

Georgetown 1s are still $450 minimum on Ebay in my size.

Military Black 4s are $350 minimum and will likely go up.

...so the fact that the Greenbean 5s and Brotherhoods may sit on shelves means nothing to me.

I'll start thinking things are changing when the Infrared 4s and Yellow Toes are reselling for just above retail.

Back
Top Bottom