Is there a rush to finish college?

Hell no, I'll be finishing up college when I'm 28-29...and if it takes longer so be it.  I started when I was 24 though.

Just found out today that I couldn't enroll in the 2 out of the 4 classes I need to graduate this Spring.  Long story short I took last semester off to intern and my reinstatement process took so long that the class I needed put me on the waitlist.  I did everything I did to get into those classes but there was nothing I can do.  I now have to return in the Fall and finish.  I'm turning 24 this year and it makes me a little concerned that I have to take a year off and now be that old guy on campus.  I'm probably just going to work the next 8 months till I go back to school but just wondering is there really a rush to finish? I hit the panic button today after hearing about everyone graduating and getting their degree.  Just a little concerned I guess.  Is there anyone that went through the same thing?

If your antsy to get out in the real world and start your life then yeah that sucks, but in this economy this could be a blessing in disguise.

Originally Posted by Tfromthe617

forget what people think.. do whats best for you.

true story.

You put unrealistic goals on yourself by measuring yourself on others' accomplishments.

It took me five years to finish college. I'm not embarrassed by it at all because everyone is different. Just because someone can finish up in two years doesn't mean the next person has to.

Originally Posted by d5

Just found out today that I couldn't enroll in the 2 out of the 4 classes I need to graduate this Spring.  Long story short I took last semester off to intern and my reinstatement process took so long that the class I needed put me on the waitlist.  I did everything I did to get into those classes but there was nothing I can do.  I now have to return in the Fall and finish.  I'm turning 24 this year and it makes me a little concerned that I have to take a year off and now be that old guy on campus.  I'm probably just going to work the next 8 months till I go back to school but just wondering is there really a rush to finish? I hit the panic button today after hearing about everyone graduating and getting their degree.  Just a little concerned I guess.  Is there anyone that went through the same thing?

Did you talk to your advisor?

I'm only asking because I have one 1-credit course that I can't enroll in and i'm going to speak to an advisor on Wednesday about this. I'll be really pissed off if they tell me I have to spend an extra semester for a 1 hour a week class.

college is a great experience. You should enjoy it. I'm looking forward to going back for my Masters.

^ yea man I spend all day today asking my professors and then the department and then my advisor.  All I got was the whole your on the waitlist and can't do anything about it speech.  I guess things just happen for a reason.  I was just looking forward to actually graduating this semester but its not going to happen.  I just have to take it for what it is and wait till the Fall and finish.

Originally Posted by d5

^ yea man I spend all day today asking my professors and then the department and then my advisor.  All I got was the whole your on the waitlist and can't do anything about it speech.  I guess things just happen for a reason.  I was just looking forward to actually graduating this semester but its not going to happen.  I just have to take it for what it is and wait till the Fall and finish.

Keep showing up to class until they actually tell you that you can't get in. It's up to the Professor to decide who gets in, also people get dropped after a week of not showing up.

Keep going man. But talk to your dean about getting into those courses. How about going to those classes, and then when someone drops (bound to happen) get placed in them.
I'm graduating at 20 in May, but I feel young. cant even buy a beer, but can graduate from college.
frown.gif

OP, I'm kinda sorta in the same boat as you-- though, unlike you, I chose my situation.

Currently in my sixth year in college, working on my third and final degree. If all goes well, I should be done with undergrad when I'm 25/26.

It took me 4-5 years to actually figure out exactly what I wanted to do, professionally speaking, and considering I'm the one paying for my education, in conjunction with the fact that this is MY LIFE and MY FUTURE, and not anyone else's, I feel no need to "rush" and/or cater to extrinsic expectations or opinions concerning the length of time I should spend in college.

Don't burden yourself with nonsense to the tune of "you must/have to finish college in 4 years" because we're all different. Graduate only when YOU feel ready to; only when you believe you have successfully empowered yourself via your education.

Don't even feel bad man. Most things in life are never as you envision them. Ideally I would have graduated in 4 years. Ended up in trade school after a couple years, finished that and there I met someone really worthwhile. Now I'm back in college, set to grad May 11'.

Just had a terrific weekend with her and I start school tomorrow, couldn't be happier. I truly believe everything happens for a reason. 22 btw.

^ do you have a citation for that?

get the professor to like you and he or she will push to get you into the class.

Took me 4 years on the dot. Had to do an extra class to graduate but I walked on time. No rush, use college to network and prepare yourself, don't graduate unprepared.

yup, im 24 gonna be gettin my BS when im 26 goin to law school right after have a career when im 30

This is how I felt towards the end of my undergrad career.  (It took me 6 yrs because I messed around the first year and I changed major...both cost me a 2 yr set back).

When I started college, I was in NO rush.  I didn't even care about class.  I often skipped class to hang out with friends.  I used to be at the pool hall until 2-3AM, come back to cram for the finals, and go take it at 8-9AM and be good.  (This was only for the freshman year when classes were easy).

As time went on, I realized that my friends were moving at a faster pace than I was so I sped up a bit..started taking more than the 12 units...which qualified as 'full time'. 

For a lot of my friends...the graduation was bitter sweet because in a sense..you're done with the testing and such, but in another...you're about to go into the work force AKA real world..meaning no summer/winter breaks.

It hasn't hit me yet because I'm in grad school now.

THE KEY is to find something you would enjoy as a CAREER.  There is no use to get out in 4 year flat in a field that doesn't interest you at all.

Job market sucks right now anyways. Take your time.

Back
Top Bottom