Jay-Z, Gay Marriage: Obama's New Stance Is 'The Right Thing To Do' (VIDEO)

Originally Posted by an dee 51o

Originally Posted by Deuce King

You think you know more about civil rights than Huey Newton?

I damn sure know more about civil rights than you.  You don't experience it, and most likely never will.
We're not talking about me, we're talking about Huey P. Newton. One of the most famous and influential people in the fight for civil rights, speaking about a civil rights issue.

So my question still stands: Do you know more about civil rights than Huey?

I can't compare myself to someone's who's dead, cause he is no longer here to speak or discuss the issue at hand in comparison.  I will say Huey Newton and I have more in common with civil rights than you ever will, so he and I have common ground there.  Huey Newton and I would have a better conversation about civil rights then you could have dream of having with him.  The only thing you and Huey Newton have in common is being drug users which is truly unfortunate as I hope you recover from being an addict.  I sure hope you don't go out like him however.    

Originally Posted by 7thAve btn 31stN33rd St

Originally Posted by odog24

Originally Posted by fraij da 5 11

But hes right. 

I'm sure he knows that the struggles leading up to the civil rights action taken in both situations are very different.  But in the end they are 2 groups that were/are denied civil liberties and are working to become equal on a human level.
no hes not right. being discriminated because your black is a racial issue. gay people are not a race they are a group who chooses how to live their life. black people did not choose to be black and asian people do not choose to be asian and mexicans do not choose to be mexican. its a totally different thing. 

I agreed with you until this. Who chooses to be gay? Why would one choose to be gay?
Yeah I'm confused here.  So is it okay to discriminate against Christians, Muslims, etc because they chose to live that life?  The whole choice argument is kind of irrelevant and ridiculous.   

roll.gif
@ the mad people.

Originally Posted by an dee 51o

Originally Posted by JohnnyRedStorm

I can't believe some people still think being gay is a choice. It's a chemical imbalance/chromosome issue that leads to homosexuality.
da bible told dem so

Nah her name was Diamond and every other stripper told me they chose to be gay.

Stop using Atheist liberal talking points b

Regis wrote:
Originally Posted by ILL LEGAL OPERATION

Why couldn't they take their civil unions and be done with this issue years ago?
What's with the relentless efforts to call it a "marriage?"

It's not a marriage, and I don't support anything or anybody calling it such...

...no one's against their equality, but I'll always be against calling that union a "marriage."

Can someone urban dictionary "EQUALITY" for this dude?
Cause everybody is treated equally right?

Originally Posted by AntBanks81

I really don't care anymore about any opinion of anyone. However, I wish they would stop comparing it the racial discrimination of blacks. IT IS NOT THE SAME! People are born black, whether they like it or not. People are not born homosexual, it is a choice.
is that so?

Originally Posted by cartune

Regis wrote:

Why couldn't they take their civil unions and be done with this issue years ago?

...no one's against their equality, but I'll always be against calling that union a "marriage."

You're not really that dense, right?

Originally Posted by ScarsOrScabs

Regis wrote:

I like to ignore questions I dont want to answer too. Just dont type next time you have nothing to say. Ok?

Regis wrote:

2n9dgex.jpg

Seriously though, having equal rights as defined by the law and the way that certain people choose to enforce the laws are completely different entities....dude above said that "no one's against their equality, but I'll always be against calling that union a "marriage." and that in it of itself is a contraictory statement....if you are not against their equality in marriage, why would you refuse to recognize the fact that gay people actually have the EQUAL RIGHT as heterosexual couples to have a legally defined and recognized marriage. That's like saying back in the day, nobody is against having a [insert minority or discriminated group here] having voting rights, but I'll always be against recognizing their votes as legitimate, cmon son. 

I like to ignore questions I dont want to answer too. Just dont type next time you have nothing to say. Ok?

same logic applies to you if you think about it
laugh.gif

I don't even know if this dude is being sarcastic or serious with this. 

Hmmm...maybe you should follow your own advice.  I asked a rhetorical question just as you did.

Single white gay man vs. Single straight black man

Who's treated better in America? Who's more likely to get a job? Who has more RIGHTS?

Stop acting like yall care about equal rights. Cause if this was a black discrimination issue. None of you would be as passionate

Hmmm...maybe you should follow your own advice.  I asked a rhetorical question just as you did.

Look up it went over your head

it's fair to say that there has been quite a bit of dialogue in the past few months about homosexuality in american society, thanks in no small part to the upcoming election. as a result, i think we have several conversations going on here at once.

first, the comparison between the gay rights and civil rights movements. i said my peace about that topic in a previous thread and don't feel like i need to revisit it. in short, i think both are civil rights issues that have a lot of common ground. i don't pretend that the plight of gay americans today is the same as that faced by black americans years ago (and even still today). nevertheless, discrimination does exist against the gay community and, sadly, some gay americans have paid for it with their lives.

second, the question about whether or not homosexuality is a choice. i've never done research into the topic, i don't know anything about the chemical makeup of my brain, and i can't speak for anyone else. but i do know my own experience, and i can assure you that as a shy, awkward kid growing up in alabama at no point in time did i think to myself, "hmm... what would make this more challenging?"

finally, the discussion about gay marriage. frankly, i probably will never get married. but i'd like to have that option. and i get the distinction between civil unions and marriage. it's a touchy situation. to have two things be the same in everything but name sounds a little like "separate but equal." so maybe the answer is that the government can grant ANY couple a civil union (regardless of sex, recognized by all states, equal benefits, etc) and we leave marriage to the churches (basically just a symbolic act). the main problem here is that the term "marriage" carries cultural importance with it beyond religion, so i think a lot of people would object to giving churches essentially a monopoly on that word. or we do the opposite and let the government continue to issue "marriage licenses" and let the churches call their ceremonies whatever they want to.  personally, i don't know that i would care.

Single white gay man vs. Single straight black man

Who's treated better in America? Who's more likely to get a job? Who has more RIGHTS?

Stop acting like yall care about equal rights. Cause if this was a black discrimination issue. None of you would be as passionate

This has nothing to do with whether or not gay people should have EQUAL rights as everyone else to be married, you're talking about a completely different issue when you bring up who's treated better and honestly there isn't even an answer to that question because theres 1 million different variables and extraneous factors that come into play in that hypothetical....do you actually have a problem with homosexuals being allowed to be married? Like how is that gonna affect your life negatively? lol 

I want to have a bar mitvah

AND IF JEWISH PEOPLE DONT ACKNOWLEDGE MY BAR MITVAH BECAUSE IM NOT JEWISH THATS DISCRIMINATION YOU'RE A BIGOT

Look up it went over your head

Once again, proving my point.
Since you want to make this an angry, mistreated black man vs. gay white man thing, no, they are not equal.

Do you expect that if gay marriage becomes legalized that gay men will all of a sudden be treated equally?  Will those narrow-minded folks who are focused only on yourself all of a sudden respect and treat homosexuals as equal?

I want to have a bar mitvah

AND IF JEWISH PEOPLE DONT ACKNOWLEDGE MY BAR MITVAH BECAUSE IM NOT JEWISH THATS DISCRIMINATION YOU'RE A BIGOT
Bro you're free to do that if you want....it just wouldn't hold any meaning or religious significance at all...go get those hebrew lessons though 
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by SunDOOBIE

Originally Posted by Nike Jordan

I guess Jay Z. must be saying it political gain too, right?
That's the only reason he said that.
laugh.gif
 @ anyone actually believing him.  Have you heard some of his lyrics and the way he uses the F word for homosexuals in an ignorant/derogatory way?  And now he supports Gay Marriage.. .yeah OK! 
roll.gif
Same thing i said. I don't think a lot of these cats personally agree with it, they're either doing it for "good" PR or just for no backlash or even for money.
People draw parallels between Blacks and gay civil rights...i don't think there really is one. The gay and Jewish lobbies is arguably more influential than the Black lobby and that's because they understand economic power. If someone offends gays or Jews, they not only speak out but they don't spend their money supporting that person. Blacks have a ways to go to understand that.

Nothing like a good ol 'whose had it worse' pissing match. It always strikes me weird that African Americans are trying to monopolize civil rights movements. Get over yourself! DOES ANYONE EVER DISAGREE THAT AFRICAN AMERICANS WERE PERSECUTED WORSE? Has anyone ever denied that? The irrelevancy astounds me. Jesus @$%@*!% christ, it seems to me that those who have been persecuted would be the first to empathize with someone receiving false judgments! There is no prize to the 'We had it worse' argument. The prize is in equality. It sickens me that gets overlooked due to groups not wanting to detract from their own past struggles. WE GET IT! You had it worse, now look inside yourself to at least recognize the similarities.

Originally Posted by lobotomybeats

Nothing like a good ol 'whose had it worse' pissing match. It always strikes me weird that African Americans are trying to monopolize civil rights movements. Get over yourself! DOES ANYONE EVER DISAGREE THAT AFRICAN AMERICANS WERE PERSECUTED WORSE? Has anyone ever denied that? The irrelevancy astounds me. Jesus @$%@*!% christ, it seems to me that those who have been persecuted would be the first to empathize with someone receiving false judgments! There is no prize to the 'We had it worse' argument. The prize is in equality. It sickens me that gets overlooked due to groups not wanting to detract from their own past struggles. WE GET IT! You had it worse, now look inside yourself to at least recognize the similarities.
Lol don't lump all of us in together but this is the truth, end of discussion, there's no trophy to be awarded for having it worse than another group that is/was being discriminated against

I don't think you should compare the 2 struggles.

But even if you don't, you should be able to see that the "hate" towards both parties might come from the same place.

Originally Posted by heLiumcLinton

So? Who cares what you're against. It's not about you.
In less than 10-15 years it will be considered a marriage in all the states. What are you doing to do? Move to another country because of something that doesn't even effect you?
I agree with all the questions you raise and this is my problem with people who are so strongly against this. My question to anyone that feel that way is how does Gay Marriage affect YOU?!

Back
Top Bottom