Jay-Z, Gay Marriage: Obama's New Stance Is 'The Right Thing To Do' (VIDEO)

Originally Posted by kix4kix

Originally Posted by an dee 51o

Originally Posted by Noskey

You do know the gay rights issue was a part of the Civil Rights Movement of the 60's, right?
Please respond.

I was talking about African American civil rights.......Just as the women's rights piggybacked off of the movement. As did gays, my point still stands.
What point is that? You said they were completely separate but they obviously were together in the 60s.

Please respond.

I was talking about African American civil rights.......Just as the women's rights piggybacked off of the movement. As did gays, my point still stands.
What point is that? You said they were completely separate but they obviously were together in the 60s.

The point that they were separate movements, not separate times. You stuck on semantics, either make a point, or hop off.

The point that they were separate movements, not separate times. You stuck on semantics, either make a point, or hop off.

My man just take the L and be glad that you learned something today
laugh.gif

My 2 cents:
The concept of a divorce is no less desecrating to the Christian concept of marriage.  So if you are against the concept of same-sex marriages for self-procliaimed "religous" reasons (defined as a LIFELONG union that is ordained by god)  it is hypocritical not to categorically denounce the idea of divorces.  Your religous argument against same-sex marriage applies against being able to get divorces as well.  A lot of the pundits who are against gay marriage are divorced though, word to Rush Limbaugh
laugh.gif

There's simply too much stuff in the Bible that is at odds with the way society is today but it's ignored cause society/media gives christianity a pass.  Owning slaves, what women should and shouldn't do, I could go on and on.  Thats why I chuckle when people thump the Bible whenever a social/civil rights issue comes up.  Inb4 "well some of the Bible should be interpreted figuratively and not literally" and "well the Bible was written by man not god"

I hate this world sometimes man.

Is this really that serious? Is this world that we live in really this

Race, Sex, gender, all of those things, is it really that hard?

Believe what YOU believe, don't try to pass that belief on to other people, everyone is equal and its simply ******ed to believe people are different or "better" because of race or something so don't do it, let people like and love who they want, problem solved, boom.

It is so stupid to me to have this big debate over something as stupid and minute as someone wanting to get married to another person. JUST LET THEM MARRY WHO THEY WANNA MARRY! Regardless of race, sex, whatever.

(By the way I think being gay is "nasty" not "wrong" though. If you want to be that yolo and marry a man and what not, go ahead, doesn't bother me. You are still a regular person, just Nasty)

Originally Posted by Method Man

Meth, do you think that when popular celebrities engage in LGBT activities but are bi-sexual or later return to a heterosexual relationship, it minimizes the or lessens the empathy that people have for gays? (ie. when comparing them to other civil rights movements)

For example, we have Amber Rose, who used to have a girlfriend, then she was with Kanye West and now Wiz Khalifa.  I've known women that have gone back and forth between seeing men and women.  

A Black person can't get tired of dealing with being black and decide try out or experiment being white.  A woman can't get tired of dealing with being a woman and try being a man.  A handicapped person cannot change it or go back and forth.
If you're suggesting that they're somehow faking it for attention, then I don't see why that should reduce our empathy for our LGBT peers.  Ted Danson was a celebrity and wore blackface.  Should that have minimized national empathy toward racial inequality?  Again, that assumes you think the whole thing is some sort of publicity stunt and, in that case, why should a form of exploitation succeed in making us care less about the exploited group?  
If, on the other hand, you're just talking about celebrities "experimenting" with their sexuality, and we interpret this as genuine, then honestly I think that's their right.  Amar'e Stoudamire has the right to convert to Judaism.  Dave Chappelle, Snoop Dogg, Muhammad Ali, Michael Jackson, and so many others converted to Islam.  Various celebrities have renounced their religion entirely.  That simply demonstrates our religious freedom.  I'm grateful for that. 

Privilege and oppression are multifaceted.  Patricia Hills Collins refers to this as the "matrix of domination."  We can be heavily discriminated against due to one of our attributes, yet relatively privileged in another.  Though ugly, it's important for us to remember the widely alleged sexism within the SCLC during the 1950's and 1960's.  Today, men and women of color often find themselves marginalized within LGBT rights organizations - just as it's been assumed, in this thread, that LGBT issues are a "White thing."  

I think what we're actually seeing is that straight people - regardless of race - possess a certain degree of majority privilege associated with their sexuality, and some are very protective of that - just as preserving "masculinity" and male privilege is very important to some men.  

I like to quote from Dr. King's final Sunday sermon, entitled The Drum Major Instinct, to illustrate how this plays out.

"I always try to do a little converting when I'm in jail,

Look up Bayard Rustin, the man behind Martin Luther King, Jr. The two movements were indeed one in the same, whether you want to admit it or not.

Originally Posted by Patrick Bateman

Originally Posted by Wr

^nahh.

now lame and inappropriate are more like it...
[color= rgb(255, 0, 0)]Bingo.[/color]
How can you read this thread and think it was inappropriate?  The only regret I have about that picture is that there are plenty of African Americans in this thread that are empathetic and don't feel the need to monopolize all of the persecution.  If I would have had room, I would have put an Honorable Mention plaque on it with no one listed.

crazy.

It's ok for everybody to call us Nword with the a on the end instead of er. Everything is all good even though the history we have with the word.

It's absolutely unacceptable to call some one that's gay a **&&0+ though. You have to be mindful of the history we have with the word.

All these double standards and ways of thinking is ripping everyone's brains in two. Can't serve two masters.

Originally Posted by Wr

crazy.

It's ok for everybody to call us Nword with the a on the end instead of er. Everything is all good even though the history we have with the word.

It's absolutely unacceptable to call some one that's gay a **&&0+ though. You have to be mindful of the history we have with the word.

All these double standards and ways of thinking is ripping everyone's brains in two. Can't serve two masters.
What are you even talking about? Where is it acceptable to use that word without being chastised? And even if there are people out there using that word, does that make it okay to use hateful words towards another minority group?

I have a feeling that a lot of you guys are finally looking in the mirror and not liking the reflection. Meth put it succinctly in the last page when he said all the arguments against equal rights for LGBT peoples fall apart. They are all petty arguments and, at their core, are meant to separate out of spite.

Originally Posted by Noskey

Look up Bayard Rustin, the man behind Martin Luther King, Jr. The two movements were indeed one in the same, whether you want to admit it or not.

the nerve of this guy , bruh I been known who Bayard Rustin is.

Back
Top Bottom