Job Related Question - Boredom at Work

I have a full-time position, it's salaried.  I don't mind the job when I actually have stuff to do.  Problem is, I work 7 hours a day...and I only have work to do for maybe 2 of those hours.  The rest is me bored out of my skull.  I'd ask for a bigger workload, but there isn't more available!  I should say, some days I'll have a full day of work, but that's maybe once a week.  The position is nice paying and the experience looks pretty good on my resume.

My question is, if you guys were in my position, would you stick around bored out of my skull or look for something new?

take your time doing it if its slow, because work at my place is slow too, and i just got let go last week and been at company 11 yrs

learn. the internet is a free library. you get paid to learn.

learn how to make more money. not endangered species and %!%$.

i'm in the same boat as you (most days) and i swear if i had cubicles i'd go ham on the internet but the CEO wanted a 'google like' environment so it's like a big open office
indifferent.gif

You can use the boring time to search for other positions. You said it pays well, and jobs like that aren't neccessarily in an abundance right now so I wouldn't let being bored make you make a decision you might regret later.

If nothing else, find something you can do in your down time. Read an online book, learn a 2nd language, learn a second skill, go to school online, there are tons of options really.

I am in a similar position but we have a tv and I usually just sit there and fight falling asleep with all my effort, get up every few minutes and go walk outside, find someone to talk to, etc.

i can do all of my work in a 3-4 hour period ... i keep one ear bud and i can hear when people are walking by. when i hear foot steps I quickly pull up my XML files.

stumble upon/wikipedia are my friends.

if i were you, i would either look for a new position or maybe apply to grad school/get certifications related to your job field and use all that free time to study. Either way, its not good to stay somewhere and be too comfortable. always try to further your career and education.

#firstworldproblems

that's like saying..."it's so hot when i drop the top on my new M3 on a sunny day". goh man

i would look for another job... i had the same situation at my last job where i was doing dumb work or i had nothing to do.... its its not a challenge and it doesnt look good on your resume and you wont learn anything from it... but if its your only option then i guess stay there

Sounds like a good deal to me. Do something on the internet that makes money for the other 5 hours

Just depends if there is potential in moving up in this company. If not, maybe look for another job.

Originally Posted by rsdplaya

I have a full-time position, it's salaried.  I don't mind the job when I actually have stuff to do.  Problem is, I work 7 hours a day...and I only have work to do for maybe 2 of those hours.  The rest is me bored out of my skull.  I'd ask for a bigger workload, but there isn't more available!  I should say, some days I'll have a full day of work, but that's maybe once a week.  The position is nice paying and the experience looks pretty good on my resume.

My question is, if you guys were in my position, would you stick around bored out of my skull or look for something new?

I used to have a position like this.. twas grand.  Learned spanish via Rosetta stone.. Python, and watched movies all day on my laptop for 3 years.  7-4 shift, but i swear it took 12 hours to finish a 9 hour shift.  Enjoy it.. dont be quick to rush out and find busywork.

Originally Posted by AceMaster193

I'll hope to be in your shoes one day.

this
getting paid to chill? cool pay and looks good on a resume?
shoot where do i sign up

if you guys were in my position, would you stick around bored out of my skull or look for something new?

I am in your shoes. Use this time to learn another business or about investing so you can eventually tell the job to kick rocks.

It sucks to be bored, but it also sucks to be stressed out of your mind. If you're getting good pay, just find a way to entertain yourself.

been there. that was me when i was in the military. i would just stay with my headphones on, even though i wasn't listening to music. had double screens so i would be bsing on one, and have work on another. got alot done during my work time. i was going to school as well, so i would do my HW at work.

my best advice is just take advantage of your time, and dont (which is what you're doing) take it for granted !

as lame as it sounds...i've had 5+ jobs in an office setting (9-5) and i've never been able to get over that boredom hump. it's just how it is i think. either you know how to deal with it or you don't (and i definitely don't).

i've recently made the decision that a 9-5 is really not for me unless i'm runnin it how i want to run it...and...in that case...i think that means one of two solutions - either i run my own business or i work for a startup (where job duties aren't really laid out in a neat orderly fashion).

if you're running into this issue on a regular, you might want to reevaluate your strategy.

Back
Top Bottom