Jobless and Frustrated NTers check in VOL. WE NOT-WORKIN!!!

Finishing up my 2nd (and last) year of graduate school, on track to receive my Master's in May.

Like it has been for a lot of other people, it's been rough.

After graduating with a Bachelor's in May of '09 with a major in Sport Management and a minor in Business), I got what I thought was lucky at the time.

Landed a full time gig with the Nets in ticket sales about 2 months after graduation but the position was really bad. I left after 2 weeks figuring I could find something else. That something else was retail for a year (
eyes.gif
) before I decided to go back to grad school. Managed to keep the retail gig on the side last year while doing a grad assistantship but dropped it this past summer out of necessity in order to complete an intership.

Been looking for another job since September to supplement the GA position and another internship, finally got a job at Fedex working nights to help save for getting my own place next summer. If anyone is looking for part time work, Fedex seems to be a decent place for supplemental income, check their site.

Originally Posted by imrichboy

What job search website to you guy's use?

indeed.com
damn m waiting for a call back from an interview i went last week tuesday i prayed all week long i hope i get this job

You guys should also try temp agencies. I just submitted my resume to one this morning and they already hit me up. Pays prob not going to be what I want it to be but its better than nothing and thats all i care about.

Going to be working working my internship back at home getting experience x paid #feelsgoodman. Sophomore in college now and have had this position this past Summer. Hopefully I can get the opportunity to work there until I graduate and get a job offer. Keeping my fingers crossed dawg
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by blackredxiiigoat

Finishing up my 2nd (and last) year of graduate school, on track to receive my Master's in May.

After graduating with a Bachelor's in May of '09 with a major in Sport Management and a minor in Business), I got what I thought was lucky at the time.

Landed a full time gig with the Nets in ticket sales about 2 months after graduation but the position was really bad. I left after 2 weeks figuring I could find something else. That something else was retail for a year (
eyes.gif
) before I decided to go back to grad school. Managed to keep the retail gig on the side last year while doing a grad assistantship but dropped it this past summer out of necessity in order to complete an intership.

Been looking for another job since September to supplement the GA position and another internship, finally got a job at Fedex working nights to help save for getting my own place next summer. If anyone is looking for part time work, Fedex seems to be a decent place for supplemental income, check their site.
what is your Master's degree in?

Originally Posted by env

eyes.gif

"Internation Dimensions in Sport" aka Sport Management. In retrospect, getting my Master's in the same area as my Bachelor's probably was not the best idea, but I had serious doubts about whether or not I could make it through graduate school in the first place (one of the reasons I didn't do it right away after graduation). I figured Sport Management would be the only major I could do it with.

An MBA or even a marketing concentration for my Master's no doubt would make me more attractive as a potential employee but I can't really do anything about it now. I think it's kind of wild, going through and graduating from college you obviously learn A LOT, but there's so much stuff I realize now that I had no clue about 2-3 years ago.

As a sidenote, some people don't realize that a Master's degree does NOT mean you have your "MBA". I myself did not realize there was a difference, and I've come to find a lot of other ppl didn't either.

An MBA = Master's in Business Admisinitration. A "Master's degree" is pretty much a Master's in any other concentration.

Question for those who know about the unemployment system...

So I was laid off from my security gig back in Sept, filed and began receiving unemployment shortly after. I was getting a good amount to hold me over, but I'm the type of person who HAS to have a job. Through a good friend, I got a stock/sales job at Victoria's Secret, but at a huge paycut from what I was making. I've been there for a month now, and haven't claimed unemployment since, though it is still an open claim. I'm working alot of hours, but barely making ends meet. I've done the calculations and realized that I made more in unemployment than I do now, my fiance told me this when I started working again.

If I was to put in my notice at the current job, is it possible to begin claiming again under my still open claim? Or would they deny me after they ask why I haven't claimed in a month.

Would you pay a professional writer/recruiter to revise your resume? its one sale on groupon reg price 215 for 85

Originally Posted by Yankeephan87

Would you pay a professional writer/recruiter to revise your resume? its one sale on groupon reg price 215 for 85

I had a lawyer go over mine. It helped, I would try to do it for free before paying for it though

I worked as a mechanical engineer for 2 years. Then 08 hit. I was laid off for a year at the end of my unemployment checks. I then got a call from "the irvine company" (if you live in so cal, you know wasup). I interviewed and killed it. I now am a building engineer supervisor for them. My point is. You just gotta keep on trying to apply to places. I didn't even know I applied for this company. I had multiple interviews but wasn't what they were looking for, or they wanted to pay me nothing. But honestly apply anywhere, my cousin is an out of work RN, but doesn't want to try a temp agency cause they take a cut out of your check. I tell her some money is better than no money

Originally Posted by env

eyes.gif

"Internation Dimensions in Sport" aka Sport Management. In retrospect, getting my Master's in the same area as my Bachelor's probably was not the best idea, but I had serious doubts about whether or not I could make it through graduate school in the first place (one of the reasons I didn't do it right away after graduation). I figured Sport Management would be the only major I could do it with.

An MBA or even a marketing concentration for my Master's no doubt would make me more attractive as a potential employee but I can't really do anything about it now. I think it's kind of wild, going through and graduating from college you obviously learn A LOT, but there's so much stuff I realize now that I had no clue about 2-3 years ago.

As a sidenote, some people don't realize that a Master's degree does NOT mean you have your "MBA". I myself did not realize there was a difference, and I've come to find a lot of other ppl didn't either.

An MBA = Master's in Business Admisinitration. A "Master's degree" is pretty much a Master's in any other concentration.

I have my masters in sport management. My undergrad is in business.

for the unemployed people that have a degree what did you major in?
I'm still in college I was. majoring in comp sci but now I'm switching to
something in the economics or business field and wanted to know if it's
easier to get a job as an engineer or business man?

I just got another one of those dreadful emails.....
Thanks for your interest, BUT we've decided to go with other candidates  
ohwell.gif

frown.gif

...I majored in Business Administration 

Originally Posted by Iamchris

Originally Posted by thapointguy

Originally Posted by GUTTA BOB

call them and tell them to eat a fat ****.  Done.

Good thing I didn't sign up for it yet. Should I? Medical through Kaiser plus Dental. Worth $521 per/month?
sick.gif

Wait so who's paying for cobra? My previous employer right? And not me? I thought once you get laid off cobra is automatically in effect.

No, you are paying for COBRA.

At my work place the employer pays for health, dental, vision... when you quit or get fired you can still receive those benefits at a group rate (cheaper)...
however, you must pay out of pocket for those benefits.. you send a check to your employer or your provider.

If you're broke and anticipate getting a new job soon then I would ditch the COBRA payments and wait until your new employer pays for them.

But it will suck if you get caught without bennies if you need it.. know what I mean.  Just pray god you don't get hurt somehow and end up paying a buttload of medical money.

Originally Posted by odog24

for the unemployed people that have a degree what did you major in?
I'm still in college I was. majoring in comp sci but now I'm switching to
something in the economics or business field and wanted to know if it's
easier to get a job as an engineer or business man?
YOU HEADED IN THE WRONG DIRECTION.

ENGINEERS HAVE A WAY EASIER TIME FINDING JOBS AND THE PAY IS MORE.

IF YOU REALLY PASSIONATE ABOUT BUSINESS THEN GO FOR IT THOUGH.

NT- I have a 3rd round interview with KPMG's Mergers and Acquisitions group next week. I'm in my 3rd year of law school, getting my LLM in tax currently as well.

The interview is with the managing director of the group. Previously I've met with a couple senior managers and some other directors. To my knowledge, it's down to myself and one other person.

What can I do to land this position? Any advice is welcome. I really need it, as my student loans from law school are going to require repayment very soon. Plus I currently have no other interviews lined up
frown.gif

In the past two rounds, I've basically stressed that I'm very interested in the area, that I'm a hard worker, etc. What can I do to give me that extra edge?

eyes.gif

What was really bad about the ticket job?  Just curious because I'm going for sports management in undergrad right now and I will probably start out with a job like that as well.  What was your salary/duties?

I know with the Wizards back in 2008 starting pay for Ticket Sales was around $18-$20K a year....absolutely horrible.   Nice perks for shows/events/etc.

Try cold call selling all day for a crappy franchise who's best player just tore his ACL again....and MJ bounced from the team a few years prior.  Tough.  

Originally Posted by JesusShuttlesworth34

I know with the Wizards back in 2008 starting pay for Ticket Sales was around $18-$20K a year....absolutely horrible.   Nice perks for shows/events/etc.

Try cold call selling all day for a crappy franchise who's best player just tore his ACL again....and MJ bounced from the team a few years prior.  Tough.  

Right now, it starts at maybe High 20s Low 30s...

Just as a Ticket Rep, you make 50-100 calls a day trying to sell tickets. Hard when the team isn't winning, no one wants to come to a game.

Got my undergrad in Business, then just finished my master's in Sport Management about 5 months ago.

I told myself I do not want to do Ticket Sales, I started out volunteering with local organizations. Grew into an internship with a franchise with a team in LA. They are owned by one of the biggest sports/entertainment businesses in the world (you can probably guess). Been with them for 3 seasons, my first interview since I graduated (you can see a couple posts back), was with a team that was owned by the same organization. Met with the HR person, about 2 weeks ago. Have no heard back, its sooo frustrating!

Some advice, do as many internships as you can. If you find one you like, do little things to get noticed. If they ask someone to come in one day, volunteer! Get to know everyone in the office from the CEO to the janitor. Stand out.

Originally Posted by michaeljayhot

maan I just signed a lease for a new apartment then lost my job after moving in smh. rough out here

damn breh - you able to get unemployment while you look for a new gig?

Just had to resign from my job yesterday because I had to return home for the holidays from school..#feelsbadman

Back
Top Bottom