Jobless and Frustrated NTers check in VOL. WE NOT-WORKIN!!!

Not sure if this is the place to ask but....

For those who LIVE in Dallas (Ricky409 and anyone else), is moving from California to Dallas for a 30k a year job worth it? I'm looking into going in to probation (plan F...
laugh.gif
mean.gif
) and I see there's an opening for a juvenile probation officer.

I know that 30k a year is like pennies in LA so I wanted to know how it is in Dallas?
Hey man, I'm in CA and just sent in paperwork for a job in Houston.  The total base pay for the position is like 3400/month so like 40k/year b4 tax.

I researched and the cost of living is cheaper than CA for sure but 30k a year is like $15/hour.  But if its for a career entry position (like juvy probation officer) its something to consider.  Is there a possibly to transfer back to CA after a probationary period?

Looking for a job in Houston TX

I have an issue. I'm an immigrant and have had an expired work permit for the last 3 years, forcing me to do odd jobs to cover my bills and as such, I have learned the skills of DJing and photography, but as I just got a new worker's permit that is valid, I would like a normal job in addition to my gigs..

..but I haven't worked in 3 years on paper, and don't know how I'd get re-acclimated to the normal work world. Have yall ever gone a long time without working? Where'd you pick back up at?

I'm a strong 6'3 big dude as well, so I was wondering how I could get into manual labor with no experience.

College senior, communications major computer science minor at University of Houston

Well skilled in graphics and local marketing. Connected to lots of other creatives and movers/shakers because of my DJ and photo experience

My advice to you is to start creating creative events for those in Houston. Ever hosted a photography galleria exhibition? Throw a dance competition or art fundraiser in the mix? Maybe even create a digital arts summer camp and put that comp science minor to good use?

There's plenty of things to do but first acquire the venue (or venues) necessary to throw these events. Create a business plan and ask for funding to allow you to acquire the resources you need. Develop a portfolio of your creative work or begin contracting yourself out to small businesses.

Good luck.

Hey man, I'm in CA and just sent in paperwork for a job in Houston.  The total base pay for the position is like 3400/month so like 40k/year b4 tax.

I researched and the cost of living is cheaper than CA for sure but 30k a year is like $15/hour.  But if its for a career entry position (like juvy probation officer) its something to consider.  Is there a possibly to transfer back to CA after a probationary period?

Yes it's a Juvy probation officer.

There's a probation trainee position open in NYC that starts at 34k but we know how NYC is on COL :smh:

So my a hole boss, told me my contract is up next month and when I looked on craigslist for a job saw his job posting for my current position. smh

I really don't care much about this job, dude is straight up a hole; always complaining, moody and hot heated about little things. Only thing is I can't quit or else I won't get un-employment. :smh:

So my a hole boss, told me my contract is up next month and when I looked on craigslist for a job saw his job posting for my current position. smh

I really don't care much about this job, dude is straight up a hole; always complaining, moody and hot heated about little things. Only thing is I can't quit or else I won't get un-employment. :smh:

Its cheaper to get another temp/ contracted worker, so they don't have to pay ot/ bonus/medical insurance, etc... So you will get your unemp when your contract is up (and hopefully find another gig soon after) and someone else will have to deal your headache inducing boss. Stay positive.

I really don't care much about this job, dude is straight up a hole; always complaining, moody and hot heated about little things. Only thing is I can't quit or else I won't get un-employment.
mean.gif
Sums up the tech sector. I don't know any other industry that does its workers dirtier. They'll have you on for 364 days as an employee and let you go on that last day to avoid having to give you FT benefits. Everything I've come across through recruiters has been contract based for a specific project then I'd be let go.

I'm in desperate need of a new job man. anyone know any places that are hiring in New York (preferably Long Island/Nassau)??

Sums up the tech sector. I don't know any other industry that does its workers dirtier. They'll have you on for 364 days as an employee and let you go on that last day to avoid having to give you FT benefits. Everything I've come across through recruiters has been contract based for a specific project then I'd be let go.
man this is the truthiest truth ever.  ****** tech industry man 
mean.gif
 yo when i came up in 2000 it was wide open; a plethora of jobs and at decent pay for the time.  a couple certs, working knowledge of windows and you could land something entry level and work your way up through a REAL job, not this contract ish.  ***** disgusting nowadays.

got a call from a different goodwill than before while i was out of the house today, lets hope for an interview next week

Interview went well IMHO

They said I was one of seven to be interviewed...

Hopeful my past work experience with the company as a former employee works in my favor. I'll know by next week. Fingers are crossed, on the brink of rigamortous

Got an interview scheduled next week but its a 3 hour drive from my place (los angeles).

I'm thinking about cancelling it but its a entry level position paying $20/hr... still deciding.

I didn't really anticipate getting calls until July... now I gotta prep and buy a suit asap ugh.

Got an interview scheduled next week but its a 3 hour drive from my place (los angeles).

I'm thinking about cancelling it but its a entry level position paying $20/hr... still deciding.

I didn't really anticipate getting calls until July... now I gotta prep and buy a suit asap ugh.

Is the job 3hrs away, or just the interview? The job wouldn't be worth the gas. You'd be pocketing min wage money.

Man smh. Good luck in your search man. One bright side is that you can collect money and put 100% effort in your job search. Plus you can get away from your piece of trash boss.

Still have no job but after a while just got tired searching and just gonna wait for school to start back in the fall cause job searching in NY is the worst I swear

Any architects out there?  I'm in Dallas and firms are starting to hire, but are looking for people with A LOT of experience.  Just wondering what everyone else is seeing

Any architects out there?  I'm in Dallas and firms are starting to hire, but are looking for people with A LOT of experience.  Just wondering what everyone else is seeing

Every job seems to want a ton of experience nowadays, but offer meager *** wages. Can't even get an entry level gig w/o jobs wanting 2 years of experience. Like, what?

Is the job 3hrs away, or just the interview? The job wouldn't be worth the gas. You'd be pocketing min wage money.
I would have to relocate.  I'm not too familiar with the area... it's in central ca.

I might not go though.  I'm anticipating more interviews in July/August for similar positions near los angeles.

Its cheaper to get another temp/ contracted worker, so they don't have to pay ot/ bonus/medical insurance, etc... So you will get your unemp when your contract is up (and hopefully find another gig soon after) and someone else will have to deal your headache inducing boss. Stay positive.

Man smh. Good luck in your search man. One bright side is that you can collect money and put 100% effort in your job search. Plus you can get away from your piece of trash boss.

Yeah, I'm not really too worried about it and I still have about a month left, just gotta stay positive and hang on until my contract is up. haha

On another note, got an interview next thursday. I have to leave early from work and make up an excuse. :D

Back
Top Bottom