Jobs Report: No jobs created in August.

Originally Posted by FeedTheEgo1982

This is all a cycle. Everything will be fine. What goes up, must come down. Nothing can grow infinitely. We will all come out of this, then we will be panicking about the next big scare lol

no

Originally Posted by LazyJ10

Best believe true unemployment is greater than 10%.

Somebody tell me what African American unemployment is...paging B Smooth

we dont make anything....and regulation of "smog"? 
laugh.gif
im glad obama dumped that....

Originally Posted by cguy610

Originally Posted by cguy610

Generally, this is not factual. 

Code:
http://www.bea.gov/newsre...nal/pi/pinewsrelease.htm
You cited a July 2011 link.  I was referring to this:

[h1][/h1]
[h1]Economists: Most Stimulus Went Into Savings[/h1]August 7, 2008, 3:52 PM ET
Matthew D. Shapiro and Joel Slemrod of the University of Michigan wrote the pre-eminent  paper on the government’s 2001 stimulus payment.They have examined the preliminary data from the Bureau of EconomicAnalysis, and come to the conclusion that most of the 2008 stimuluspayments went into savings. In the following analysis provided to RealTime Economics, Messrs. Shapiro and Slemrod suggest a second round ofstimulus being considered by the government would be better spent oninfrastructure investments of payments to states:

Data for May and June suggest that the rebate payments provided bythe Economic Stimulus Act of 2008 may not yet have provided much of aboost to consumption. The increase in personal saving in May and Juneapproximately matched the size of the rebate checks in those months.

savings_cs_20080807154911.jpg

Source: Shapiro and Slemrod, University of Michigan

Here are the official numbers from the Bureau of Economic Analysis.Personal saving was $45.6 billion in May, compared to $48.1 billion instimulus payments in May. Personal saving in June was $23.0 billion,compared to $27.9 stimulus payments in June. In stark contrast,personal saving averaged only $2.9 billion per month during the firstfour months of the year.

The personal saving rate tells the same story. After running under0.5% during the first four months of 2008, it jumped to 4.9% in May and2.5% in June. The change in the personal saving rate correspondsclosely to the size of the rebate as a percentage of disposable income.The figure shows how most of the rebate payments appear to have gonestraight into saving.

The fact that personal saving jumped by nearly as much as theincrease in stimulus payments suggests that most of the rebate checkswere saved, at least temporarily, but does not establish itdefinitively because we cannot be sure what the level of personalconsumption expenditures would have been without the rebate checks. Ifpersonal consumption expenditures would have collapsed absent thestimulus payments while personal disposable income would have heldsteady, then the personal saving rate would have spiked up in May andJune in any event, and its sharp rise when the rebates arrived does notthen indicate that most of the rebate payments were saved.

That most of the rebate checks were saved is, though, consistentwith the results we find using the University of Michigan Survey ofConsumers. When consumers were asked whether their stimulus check wouldlead them to “mostly spend, mostly save, or mostly pay down debt,

ding ding we need to start making stuff again, we also need to do something with immigration and make everyone legal and taxable.

I'm looking at my first place tomorrow (condo) as a cash buyer, things like this make me feel very thankful.

Do you guys that "corrected" me even know the history of economics. We went through a similar "end of America" "end of the world" scenario in the 70s and in the 80s. It's called a business cycle for a reason. The reasons may be different, but it's all the same. Nothing can be expected to make record profits and expand business infinitely. Just doesn't work that way. We are experiencing a massive correction of our inflated lifestyles and a correction of a faulty system of policies. You can keep letting the media use these catch phrases to scare you into paralysis while brokers get rich off of these cheap stocks that will eventually regain steam.

sorry if my views go against the doom and gloom trend of the general forum. Things will get better... When we actually address the real problems that are at play in this scenario.

laugh.gif
I don't need to say anything... this is all one big joke. Pretty soon there will be 30% unemployment, continued outsourcing, higher taxes, worsening infrastructure, and worthless dollars. Get ready for developing countries to catch up big time in the next 20 years.

Congrats Audi! We all should be thankful for what we have and the blessings bestowed upon us. We at the very least have the luxury to be able to discuss these things on a sneaker forum of all places. No matter what, it could always be worse. Just my view and opinion though. Just like me feeling like everything will be ok is my opinion. We overreact to these things which makes the situation worse. We are quick to try to place blame instead of trying to rectify our own personal situations and adapting to the changes upon us. I tell you one thing, no jobs were added but all of the limited kicks to come out in the past few weeks have ALL sold out and are being scooped up for ridiculous prices.. Times aren't that rough y'all.

ever heard of income inequality?

who gives a ##%! if a few hype beasts can afford those high priced sneakers. especially limited sneakers.

I would love to hear how the common man can deal with outsourcing and giant corporations being treated as individuals

All part of the cycle, my friend.
Problem is this cycle is seemingly more and more lowering the standards of living in this country, destroying careers permanently, and putting people in life changing spots. This is inexcusable.

Originally Posted by finnns2003

All part of the cycle, my friend.
Problem is this cycle is seemingly more and more lowering the standards of living in this country, destroying careers permanently, and putting people in life changing spots. This is inexcusable.
I know.  I was being more sarcastic than anything.

Income inequality is a totally different issue and has always and will always be a factor. Just look at history, we will come out of this. That's all I'm saying. Oh, and the fact that we are discussing this on a sneaker forum means that we share a common interest in kicks. Majority of the heat that Nike puts out is scooped up with the quickness. Not just by "hypebeasts" but true collectors such as you and I. Out sourcing is a major problem, but isnt the main source of the troubles we are seeing today. The board will always be slanted, it's up to us to respond, react, and adapt. Still, my point is that we will make it through this. If you are adverse to making hard decisions and prioritizing, you may experience more hardship than the next man, but we will be alright one way or another. It's all love, really.

I agree with Finns.. That's why I had to make decisions to live within my means and try not to get caught up in the distractions out there. Most people don't know the amount of psychology that is at play when it comes to advertising and marketing. Same thing that got people into house that truly couldn't afford them, contributing to this disaster. Then you have the problem of people who have no real incentive to get off of government assistance. The system is really twisted at the core.

gonna be a long road back to fix unemployment. companies ain't gonna start hiring, domestically at least, until americans can offer something they can't get overseas. knowledge, know how, skills set. that comes from training and education. which takes time and money...

i stopped collected J's years ago. got too expensive haha. buy a pair a year if that.

prioritizing well doesn't automatically ensure you success. There are some extreme problems on a grand scale at the moment.

we are gonna make it through this sure but things are going to be drastically different for large segments of the population

I agree with Finns.. The fact that none of these banks have been reprimanded because of their actions is my big issue. All criminals. While we argue about small pieces of this puzzle, those clowns are out, balling out of control as we speak.EDIT. Agreed dubs. It doesn't guarantee success, but it is something we all have immediate control over.

Income inequality is a totally different issue and has always and will always be a factor. Just look at history, we will come out of this. That's all I'm saying. Oh, and the fact that we are discussing this on a sneaker forum means that we share a common interest in kicks. Majority of the heat that Nike puts out is scooped up with the quickness. Not just by "hypebeasts" but true collectors such as you and I. Out sourcing is a major problem, but isnt the main source of the troubles we are seeing today. The board will always be slanted, it's up to us to respond, react, and adapt. Still, my point is that we will make it through this. If you are adverse to making hard decisions and prioritizing, you may experience more hardship than the next man, but we will be alright one way or another. It's all love, really.

I agree with Finns.. That's why I had to make decisions to live within my means and try not to get caught up in the distractions out there. Most people don't know the amount of psychology that is at play when it comes to advertising and marketing. Same thing that got people into house that truly couldn't afford them, contributing to this disaster. Then you have the problem of people who have no real incentive to get off of government assistance. The system is really twisted at the core.
I guess the million dollar question I have is, why do you believe we'll come out of this? Just because you believe it's cyclical? I just don't understand how you can come to the conclusion. 

Income disparity is growing, not shrinking.  Unemployment is materially understated solely due to the "economist" definition.  Costs are rising along with inflation.  Government is overextending themselves into the private sector.   I don't see the silver lining even 10 years down the road.

California state universities tuition have increased 10 fold since I first went to college in 2001.  A CSU! We're not talking Berkeley. 

Iagree with Finns.. The fact that none of these banks have beenreprimanded because of their actions is my big issue. All criminals.While we argue about small pieces of this puzzle, those clowns are out,balling out of control as we speak.EDIT. Agreed dubs. It doesn't guarantee success, but it is something weall have immediate control over.

To me, the Banks while clearly looking out for themselves, aren't as big of crooks as the Fed (I acknowledge one can view them as one in the same) and our elected officials.  Banks aren't balling right now.  Don't get me wrong, they'll be in the forefront and make lots of money...however, that will be limited and scrutinized.  BofA is a prime example, as is the evil Empire GS.  Both certainly aren't doing it like they once were, as so much that BofA is hanging on by the slimmest of margins all to reorganize into controllable chaos.

yes well that's what many of us are saying. These are new problems that people can't rectify by working harder or getting a better education.

There hasn't ever been such a poison political climate.

Back
Top Bottom