Jordan getting rid of release dates in 2016

Honestly. I like it. Just like the old days. You walk in a store and "oh snap, when did these drop!!?" Comes out of your mouth. Many shoes are actually still like this. We just check for the most hype shoes which is why we have release dates months prior. For example, the Bo Knows Hockey and CW Air Max Sensation just dropped randomly.

Last edited:
We will see if it's true. This guy has been wrong on many occasions about what retros are dropping. I will wait until some of our resident sources or nike themselves confirm.

I think the loose release schedule won't be a bad thing as retailers also are not bound by strict release dates anymore. And with the release dates we rather had the chaos of massive online purchases after midnight and private resellers getting multiple pairs. With a diverged release based on each store everyone who wants a pair need to be aware where to get them early. It wasn't a problem in the 1980s or early 1990s so it should be fine.
With multiple sneaker forums collectors can help each other too.

maybe i have become used to the madness, that is to say, this current "system." that isn't to say i like it, but it's familiar and change usually seems bad as it takes us out of our comfort zones, which ironically usually turns out to be a positive. anyway, moving 4ward my approach is to just not care anymore. i just wanna be done with all of this except i still somehow have to get MAGs. then i can pretty much be done with nike/jb 4ever. i don't wanna waste money with them any longer.

/end rant

Last edited:
I Feel okay About This. It Won't Build any Hype for Shoes like it does right now. PLUS, I notice Getting Sneakers are More easier Due to Nike/Jordan Making Way More higher quantity on Shoes, for example the 2015 ""OG"" Maroon 6's were a Walk in the park, I've seen pics of them still sitting on shelves...

The thing with me is that we should be way farther along as a culture in 2015 than we are now with respect to how ppl can purchase shoes.

I know the solution isn't easy or anything like that, but having to get lucky just to be able to buy the shoes is ridiculous. I think nike and jb can do better than raffles man.

It just doesn't make sense. There's gotta be a better method.

Who exactly is getting killed and robbed? It's only happened a few times

I hope this shoe game thing is gonna start dying off in 2016 TBH

A few times too many unfortunately...they're just shoes.

Anyway, there's really no clean way to release shoes, but if JB goes with this release method, bulk buyers are going to have a greater chance of eating up stock. Majority of people do not have time to sit and wait for shoes to at a random schedule.

Last edited:
Honestly. I like it. Just like the old days. You walk in a store and "oh snap, when did these drop!!?" Comes out of your mouth. Many shoes are actually still like this. We just check for the most hype shoes which is why we have release dates months prior. For example, the Bo Knows Hockey and CW Air Max Sensation just dropped randomly.

Yeah I think Nike still does this with a lot of their air maxes. They'll tell you the month it releases, but not the actual day. Stores will then start selling them as soon as they come in.

Maybe vampire xtc vampire xtc has better knowledge from a distribution point, but the way I see this working is that stores won't know they are getting the release until the week of (similar to how some stores operate now).
Only difference is that they won't even be expecting a sneaker to come to their shop. That gets rid of the pre-orders sites that banks on an employee telling them we should be getting XYZ next week.

Since both pre-sellers and the general consumer hear about it at the same time, they offer no benefit since they'll only have maybe a day worth of lead time to even secure pairs.

Yeah I think Nike still does this with a lot of their air maxes. They'll tell you the month it releases, but not the actual day. Stores will then start selling them as soon as they come in.

Maybe vampire xtc vampire xtc has better knowledge from a distribution point, but the way I see this working is that stores won't know they are getting the release until the week of (similar to how some stores operate now).
Only difference is that they won't even be expecting a sneaker to come to their shop. That gets rid of the pre-orders sites that banks on an employee telling them we should be getting XYZ next week.

Since both pre-sellers and the general consumer hear about it at the same time, they offer no benefit since they'll only have maybe a day worth of lead time to even secure pairs.

Thanks for the tag i probably wouldn't have seen the post otherwise...

First I'll clear up some stuff...

Few month ago in the 72-10 topic I stated the fact of a footlocker app for raffles being in beta stages(for some time now)

The target was for this holiday initially but clearly that's not going to happen

Problem with this is how broad of a spectrum this app would have to cover

Adidas confirmed has 3 cities and it's a nightmare and the store list is minimal

So to have an app that can cover EVERY ftl HOH Fa and champs location is just beyond difficult without issues

They do still plan to roll this out but there is no target date in sight from what we have heard at all...

Now as for no release dates go

As some have said there are plenty release dates available already well into 2016

But here is the issue

Nike directly can do what they want

But for those not familiar with retail this is where a no official date causes a problem

Retail stores work on a plan/goal sales based on LY(last year)

Release dates help to plan accordingly for a daily weekly and monthly goal of money earned

It's also how to make plan for employee coverage in a store and allocate hours for employees

So a "random" drop would be idiotic because it would hurt all sales planning for the footlockers or the world

Now one could argue stores would know when it's coming in to then set a release date after

This is true

But it also just makes more work for the retailer for no reason which is dumb

Especially when new balance adidas asics puma etc.. All have dates still for their product lol

Now here is where I'm going to get very retail nerdy so bare with me and also many may not like what I'm about to say but is real talk...

If Nike goes through with this its to build a sense of urgency to purchase a shoe when you see it in store for fear of missing out

Which would increase sales

Nike sales are down from last year mainly because of how flooded releases have been and how plentiful A LOT of shoes were/are

Now at the end of fiscal year Nike will be denying this massively

But I can see numbers for footlocker family of stores

And sales across all stores in the country are down from 80K+ store to store(varies per volume)

And it's not due to lack of product it's due to a number of releases that were total duds this year

So the difference we have in stores in product it's just the product is not moving

Another fact Nike will deny

Maroon 6 was not available for any discount not points not employee not even military in footlocker stores

This was not a footlocker call

Nike forced this on footlocker

Laney 14 was far more limited than maroon et those were not excluded

Nike forced the no discount to make more money because sales are down

Nike in 2015 targeted the resell market with its pricing they figured hey lets cash in instead of allowing lower pricing and resellers making a mark up off our product when we can raise price and price out the resellers and put that flip money in our own Pocket

Which I totally get

Problem is they raised price but then flooded the market so the average consumer picks and chooses a release so a large portion of product remains behind

Basically they got overly greedy after how well they did last year

So their answer is let's build a urgency hype to move units because the average consumer can't plan when they find out or see something it's purchase first ask questions later

And this will work

Is it fair to a consumer with a career and life?

No

But like I said Nike can do what they want the Jordan division alone annually pulls in more money than adidas asics and reebok combined if I recall

But this kinda move just pushes some consumers to other brands

My 2 cents....
I'm not about that random drop life but I am about that random discount life I'm used to :lol:

Ain't nobody got time for randomly dropping $200 BUT it probably won't be random tho considering shoes drop like every weekend. Hard to have random when something is always releasing.

Most of my shoe store (ftl, fta, champs etc) visits are motivated by release dates. It's very rare that I go to a store to look around, other than outlets or discount stores. I see the website for FTL now tells you your sold out size is available in store but not which stores, unless its local.

Last edited:
starting in '16, ima just be on my designer shoe **** might be passing on wc4 due to the shape.

Only in to sole swap a 99 pair. Not sure how well it'll work with Nike online stores. Are they just going to appear on the shelves randomly?

Last edited:
I'm fine if it ends up like this month where I know the xi, vi, and VIII are coming out. If it's like nothing but qs I'm in forced retirement. We got jobs, wifes, and kids. I can't be chasing shoes 24/7

Yep

Thanks JB I've been wanting to seriously retire anyways.

I don't get it

No release dates ?

So stores can sell once the shoes come in ?
This could be a pro or a very serious con.  The pro is that it gets people to visit the stores and returns it back to the old days.  The very serious con is that some employees could either A. Have pairs for themselves and family, B. Have pairs for the local resellers making them gain back the power over the sneaker hobby, or a combination of both.  I would have thought Nike/JB would learn that some of their accounts are corrupt from the Chicago 1 release and various others.

So if I wanted a pair, I would just have to go to the mall every saturday and constantly check to see if they showed up? Are they going to be sold out while I'm stuck at work? I'm not understanding how this benefits anyone, really. Just Nike stirring the pot.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom