Just Graduated & at a Crossroads........

I'm in a similar situation, just graduated with a B.S. in Neuroscience with a low GPA. Taking summer school to finish up then studying for the GRE/LSAT. I'm not gonna ask these 14 year olds on here for advice tho, deuces

I'm in a similar situation, just graduated with a B.S. in Neuroscience with a low GPA. Taking summer school to finish up then studying for the GRE/LSAT. I'm not gonna ask these 14 year olds on here for advice tho, deuces

Originally Posted by 1000xCartel

I just graduated High School, and am in the same position.

you better go to college bruh, there is no crossroad to come to. You wont survive w/o a degree. Hell most ppl cant survive with one. 

Originally Posted by 1000xCartel

I just graduated High School, and am in the same position.

you better go to college bruh, there is no crossroad to come to. You wont survive w/o a degree. Hell most ppl cant survive with one. 

Originally Posted by ATL Candy Man

Originally Posted by moonmaster3

How do you have two hard majors and yet didn't manage to land a job? And you're black too? You either didn't apply to anything or have a beyond abysmal GPA.

Yes I am black...I had a 2.95 overall GPA...I applied for a job with P&G but did not receive it.
True story. It's extremely hard finding a gig these days so you MUST be on it earlier than the rest. I started applying for jobs midway through the fall semester and I'm not even graduating until next month. After well over 100 resume's sent out and a few boo-boo job offers I think I finally landed a good job in the field I went to school for.

Originally Posted by ATL Candy Man

Originally Posted by moonmaster3

How do you have two hard majors and yet didn't manage to land a job? And you're black too? You either didn't apply to anything or have a beyond abysmal GPA.

Yes I am black...I had a 2.95 overall GPA...I applied for a job with P&G but did not receive it.
True story. It's extremely hard finding a gig these days so you MUST be on it earlier than the rest. I started applying for jobs midway through the fall semester and I'm not even graduating until next month. After well over 100 resume's sent out and a few boo-boo job offers I think I finally landed a good job in the field I went to school for.

I will admit I screwed up BIG TIME!  All I can do is push forward and fix the situation that I have created.  Muhammad Ali said it best..."It isn't the mountain that wears you down but the pebble in your shoe."  The "pebble" in my shoe is the fact that I didn't plan all this out a long time ago & it is wearing on me.  I will fix this please believe that.

I will admit I screwed up BIG TIME!  All I can do is push forward and fix the situation that I have created.  Muhammad Ali said it best..."It isn't the mountain that wears you down but the pebble in your shoe."  The "pebble" in my shoe is the fact that I didn't plan all this out a long time ago & it is wearing on me.  I will fix this please believe that.

Originally Posted by bijald0331

I don't believe this guy. How can you be stuck at step 1 after you graduated? You should have been thinking about all this stuff at the beginning of your senior year and I would still consider that a little late.
what's there to not believe? I have tons of friends that are in the same predicament right now.

+%+# I'm in the same position right now too

Originally Posted by bijald0331

I don't believe this guy. How can you be stuck at step 1 after you graduated? You should have been thinking about all this stuff at the beginning of your senior year and I would still consider that a little late.
what's there to not believe? I have tons of friends that are in the same predicament right now.

+%+# I'm in the same position right now too

Originally Posted by H TOWN HUSTLER

Start rapping or trapping, best decisions I've made since graduation.
laugh.gif

I'm in the same predicament... graduated in may with a BS in electrical engineering. GPA wasn't all that great (3.0) but it definitely was way above my class average and I've had a year long internship. Been looking for job's since Feb and have only so far gotten a couple BAD offers. It def wasn't due to a lack of effort... just seems like jobs are not hiring entry level EE's with just a bachelors.
tired.gif

I'm in the same predicament... graduated in may with a BS in electrical engineering. GPA wasn't all that great (3.0) but it definitely was way above my class average and I've had a year long internship. Been looking for job's since Feb and have only so far gotten a couple BAD offers. It def wasn't due to a lack of effort... just seems like jobs are not hiring entry level EE's with just a bachelors.
tired.gif

^I would be shocked if there are that many people out there with dual degrees in Applied Physics and Industrial Engineering that are in this type of situation. It just doesn't make sense. Like this guy should be too smart for this big of a screw-up. That's even an understatement. I'm thoroughly perplexed. This isn't some dude who graduated with a degree in Sports Marketing from a no-name school. Morehouse is a reputable institution. I'm sorry but I don't believe OP. Or I'm just really shocked by the incompetence of a person with these 2 degrees.

^I would be shocked if there are that many people out there with dual degrees in Applied Physics and Industrial Engineering that are in this type of situation. It just doesn't make sense. Like this guy should be too smart for this big of a screw-up. That's even an understatement. I'm thoroughly perplexed. This isn't some dude who graduated with a degree in Sports Marketing from a no-name school. Morehouse is a reputable institution. I'm sorry but I don't believe OP. Or I'm just really shocked by the incompetence of a person with these 2 degrees.

yeah but people change their minds. that happens. and then There are people that are 100% sure that they know what they want to do and that field is taking only Masters candidates at the time, and there is just a numbers crunch. It's easy for you to say that, seeing as that you're still in school. Believe me, I was in your same boat last year. Cynical about people who were struggling to find a job. It's really about lucking up right now. You can have all the connections in the world, but if there are no open positions that you can fill, what can you do?

yeah but people change their minds. that happens. and then There are people that are 100% sure that they know what they want to do and that field is taking only Masters candidates at the time, and there is just a numbers crunch. It's easy for you to say that, seeing as that you're still in school. Believe me, I was in your same boat last year. Cynical about people who were struggling to find a job. It's really about lucking up right now. You can have all the connections in the world, but if there are no open positions that you can fill, what can you do?

yeah i agree it seems OP aint trying hard enough. Clearly you have academics but that resume and you talking/selling ability may be off

Physics and Engineering? you may have to  move a bit but they are out there

yeah i agree it seems OP aint trying hard enough. Clearly you have academics but that resume and you talking/selling ability may be off

Physics and Engineering? you may have to  move a bit but they are out there

Originally Posted by davidisgodly

even with a 2.95 gpa, you could overcome that with several internships during college. too bad.
This guy and his "internships". . .

Trust me you gotta hit the job market hard.  I graduated last year with distinctions, 2 years experience working at school in my major, and a summer internship and it has been nothing but a pain looking for a job.  I actually had my 3rd interview with the same company today.   

Originally Posted by davidisgodly

even with a 2.95 gpa, you could overcome that with several internships during college. too bad.
This guy and his "internships". . .

Trust me you gotta hit the job market hard.  I graduated last year with distinctions, 2 years experience working at school in my major, and a summer internship and it has been nothing but a pain looking for a job.  I actually had my 3rd interview with the same company today.   

Take some time off? hell no. You already messed up by not interning during your undergraduate studies to figure out what you want to do. Don't make the same mistake again by taking some time off "to figure things out." That's just stupid. You figure things out by actually interning and getting a real taste of what that career or profession offers.

Talk to alums.
Go to your career website, apply apply apply and the apply some more.
Network a lot (you have to because with a sub 3.0 gpa, you're not that marketable on paper)

Again, network and apply as much as you can. Just keep dropping resumes.

Back
Top Bottom