KENDRICK LAMAR: "GOOD KID M.A.A.D CITY"

Listened to this album on a long drive home from work and I have to say upon first listen this is great. The concept of the album was brilliantly executed...I am not a person who usually cares for skits but Kendrick made the skits work perfectly like Lauryn Hill did on her solo debut.

Album flows very nicely and I can see why people didn't like Backseat Freestyle on first listen. It is not the kind of song you can really appreciate hearing it out of context on the album. I like the message of the song and how it fits on the album. Basically Kendrick is saying this is how he used to rap in in his younger days, glorifying all the negative things we hear in mainstream rap today (sex, money, power, violence etc). Almost like Swimming Pools the message is deeper than people may actually realize.

Album is dope! I still have to digest more of the lyrics but the production is very good and this is easily the best hip-hop debut I have listened to since Lupe's Food & Liquor.

And I dug Section 80 but this is a better much more complete piece of work.

i listened to the songs backwards how they got on my itunes.

everyones talking about this concept in the order of the songs

what he talmbout as far as the concept fams?

ill have to give it a run through the correct way tomorrow 

Yo, this is a cd that you can def ride to not giving a #$%% about gas prices.

I think so. But cot damn these gas prices are killing the art of riding around lol. I don't pick up my cousins unless I need to take them to base anymore lol.

Solid Solid album. I've only listened once through but I love it. I think its better than Sec 80 personal opinion of course. I got to take a few spins around the block to really appreciate the lyrics and story he paints...

Yea Kendrick did it...

It's crazy how this already feels like my AOTY off the first listen...

***** don't kill my vibe sounds soo right tho :smokin :smokin :smokin

Can't wait to purchase on Monday.

so can anyone confirm if his first blunt was laced? my homeboy said he was saying that on the album but i cant find it?

Wait a min....who said Backseat Freestyle was wack??????

I'm not a fan of Hit-boy but dude demolished that beat 
sick.gif

No Schoolboy or Ab-Soul is a little disappointing.

Jay Rock on the other hand came hard. He's usually enjoyable, adds a different style to the group, but his verse on money trees is something else.

Aren't they talking about Kendrick smoking the wrong blunt on the outro of The Art of Peer Pressure?

Last edited:
Wow. The album met my expectations and didn't disappoint. I can definitely say that I will be buying a hard copy of it come Monday next week.
The Art of Peer Pressure :smokin I like his storytelling.

The first time i heard the name Kendrick Lamar, i was kinda like "probably just another new rapper, no different than the other new ones..."

The first time i heard Section 80, which had to be at least 2-3 months after its initial release I knew right away i was dead wrong...

One thing ill say, i remember people saying J. Cole should have kept the Hiiipower beat for himself, 'cause they werent feeling Kendrick... I was like "WTF, these guys are crazy" lol

Onto Good Kid MAAD City... initial thoughts as i listen to the 12 regular tracks.

1. Sherane/// Rappers still begin albums like THIS? whoooo...The Bizness killed this beat...the sounds in the background are insane...Kendrick's lyrics, which i can't post a specific part off one listen, are vicious...the voicemail got some humor to it, and is a nice end to the intro

2. *****, Don't Kill My Vibe/// "I am a sinner who's probably gonna sin again, Lord forgive me, Lord forgive me, Things i dont understand, Sometimes i need to be alone, ***** Dont Kill My Vibe......." God damn, that whole hook/bridge is SICK and so real...another mean beat

3. Backseat/// Hit-Boy...STOP... we cant handle this much heat....Kendrick attacks this **** right away, and i can tell this will probably never get old to me, even if it lacks the content the first two tracks do...obviously meant to be like that anyway 

4. Art of Peer Pressure/// First track that reminds me of Section .80, but the switch up quickly changes that... This is the type **** you can zone out too without even smokin...i feel high listening to it lol...Storytelling is NICE...

5. Money Trees/// As it starts out, i'm somewhat indifferent to it... Then i hear the hook with the beat and he got another one with this... The lyrics are nice but i prefer the first 4 tracks on first listen, not even close really, but this still does it for me..."That's just how i feel..." love how tha soundst... Jay Rock had a good feature, not sure if ill like it much after a while though, but we'll see...

6. Poetic Justice/// Production is just crazy...Off first listen, Kendrick and Drake both did their thing...Sounds like a definite hit...the outro- WOW, should have kept it going though...

7. Good Kid/// We in 2012 right? LOL i mean jesus christ this is too good compared to what we have been getting used to from everyone else...Hit me right in the face from the start of the song... One of the three best tracks so far BABAY

8. M.A.A.D City/// Is he serious? flow speaks for itself...Another switch up! i love when songs do this... MC Eiht dialogue and verse make this sound so West Coast its insane...Then Kendrick comes in again, i cant take it...too much...just too much

9. Swimming Pools (Extended)/// First time i ever heard this song on the radio i wasn't really in to it, probably 'cause i was in a bad mood... the way it flows with the rest of the album though is really nice, and this hook is simply sick, especially the first half where he's singing... 2nd verse- love it how he acts as a voice talking to himself... like i said before about switch up's- wow

10. Sing/Dying of Thirst/// "Sing..." is real ****, smooth, nice transition compared to the up beat bangin' sounds of the first 9 tracks, but i wasnt ready for it to slow down yet lol, but great replay value here.........."Dying..."- more smooth ****, not sure which i'm feeling more out of this combination of tracks...

11. Real/// Hmm...only track so far that i dont know if i'm gonna ever really get into, although the lyrics are so good...weakest track so far, but we'll see if that changes as time goes 

12. Compton/// Another banger Just Blaze cooks up. Does he always have to do this? lol.. Best ive heard Dre in forever, Kendrick goes in... one of the weaker hooks/songwriting on the album though, but the beat and verses just about make up for that. And the outro sounds like its straight from the 90's.

For a rapper to be known for his content and unique(somewhat awkward at times) flow, which are both far off from what the mainstream expects nowadays, Kendrick just dropped an album full of some of the sickest hooks i have heard in a LONG, LONG time...The songwriting is just crazy, and that alone makes it hard to believe this will get old anytime soon...if ever...absolutely no fillers in my opinion

Based off first listen, which of course is where people start making claims of classic, and so on.. I'll at least say that this just sounds like classic/vintage/whatever you wanna call it hip hop that will be talked about for a while... Ain't calling nothing a classic off first listen though (never) that's for sure lol..but damn...  lyrics, flows, hooks, production, details, how each track blends in to the next with a storytelling/movie format is much more than i expected, and i expected a lot... Not giving a rating 'cause there's no way to do that so soon, but i didnt find many negatives on this yet, besides a little bit of indifference at the beginning of Money Trees and not sure about Jay Rock's feature in the long run...Also, "Real" is kinda a question mark at this point, and "Compton" isn't great, though it has its highlights

Sorry for all i wrote lol, but thought id add something different to the post.

Last edited:
Every second. every minute, man I swear that she can get it

YaBish

Sorry for all i wrote lol, but thought id add something different to the post.

No need to apologize my man. :D
I appreciate your review and your post. Repped. 8)
Very well thought out and accurate. Thank you for the contribution. I agree with many things you said, especially about not caring for Kendrick at first. I was like Kendrick Who? Yeah yeah big deal...

1 year later, I'm over here jammin his album with a big *** :x on my face. :smh: Can't believe how amazing this music is. :smokin

:nthat:

Back
Top Bottom