Khalli Vegas Shoe Collection/Vintage Heat, Class is in session..........

yuku
eyes.gif

Originally Posted by truniversal

Originally Posted by sthebest

Originally Posted by truniversal

Dude has almost every wack sneaker imaginable from back in the day. Ain't no joints worthy of video time in there.

smh@ your ignorance. alot of these models were really big deals back in the day, especially the Ewings. And Will Smith shouted out Le Coq Sportif in the song "Girls Aint Nothing But Trouble"
Perhaps it was different in your area (I'm from Cali), but none of those joints mattered back in the day. Ewings and Magics were viewed as a "nice try" sneaker (even with Gangstarr pushing them on the cover of "Step In The Arena" and in the "Just To Get A Rep" Video).

Le Coq Sportif was more about sweatsuits and sweaters, their sneakers were wack. Fresh Prince and LL both gave them love (no pun intended).

Diadora was weak. Lottos had limited appeal (first time I saw interchangeable logos). Etonic had weak styles and a name that sounded more like a drink than a brand. LA Gears was mostly for women and Stevie B lookin' body builders. Dudes was rockin' the LA Gear Boots heavy though.

Avia was a dope brand, but the ones in the clip ain't nothing to talk about. De La is the only group I remember who had Avias in their video. Mutumbos was wack! Especially with that commercial where he says something like; "Man No Fly Over Mutumbo". Nonsense. Raekwon couldn't even make them dope on the first Wu cover.

Spaldings and Brooks was KMART. Enough said.    

It was like this in NY as well, but if you were heavy into kicks, you loved it ALL. I hear where you're coming from, and you're on point (Le Coq was strictly gear etc.), but there are other perspectives. 
Diadora's got flossed by the dealers because they were an all flavor sneaker. MAD colors. Same with Bally's, Filas, Lottos, etc. There was even a sneaker I remember. Ball? Bald? Something like that. 

I had Etonic Dream's. I had Brooks Techniques (I was a big Dominique Wilkins fan). Spotbilt X-Press. Adidas Ewings were major. 

Did Nike run %!*%? Absolutely. AF1's. Court Force. Delta Force ACs. Matter of fact the WHOLE Flight and Force lines were major. 

But if you're a sneaker junkie you appreciated EVERYTHING. 

Originally Posted by illphillip

It was like this in NY as well, but if you were heavy into kicks, you loved it ALL. I hear where you're coming from, and you're on point (Le Coq was strictly gear etc.), but there are other perspectives. 
Diadora's got flossed by the dealers because they were an all flavor sneaker. MAD colors. Same with Bally's, Filas, Lottos, etc. There was even a sneaker I remember. Ball? Bald? Something like that. 

I had Etonic Dream's. I had Brooks Techniques (I was a big Dominique Wilkins fan). Spotbilt X-Press. Adidas Ewings were major. 

Did Nike run %!*%? Absolutely. AF1's. Court Force. Delta Force ACs. Matter of fact the WHOLE Flight and Force lines were major. 

But if you're a sneaker junkie you appreciated EVERYTHING. 

I see what you're saying and give big respect to everyone's perspective (thank you all!).

Brand selection was extremely different between NY and Cali in the 80sand 90s. Many brands and models hit NY long before Cali even knew aboutthem and, once they did hit the West Coast, availability was limited. Iwas into different brands, but since I was broke at the time, I had tobe very selective of what I actually bought and used style comparison as a processof elimination. I fronted on any models that had fake air units(Troops, Catapults, etc) and avoided buying anything someone else had.

All of the dealers around my way were gang members, so it was Nike allday (Cortez, Windrunners, Jordans, Flights, Forces) with creased levis,dickies, and t-shirts. Needless to say we couldn't rock all the colorsNY heads did, which limited my selection further. I was always underthe impression that NY had twice as many brands and even more models than Cali, so when I heard about Ballys, Timberlands, NorthLakes, and Clarks on shows like Yo! MTV Raps, I didn't even botherlooking for them because I knew it would be a fruitless endeavor.

In 87, Adidas Ewings and Filas were large here in Cali. But, because ofthe price, not everyone had them. My man used to rock his olderbrother's Filas to school (without permission). He'd be at schoolwalking on eggshells to avoid anything happening to them kicks. Afterschool, dude always rushed home so the sneakers would be cleaned up andreturned before his brother got home from work. It was a wildsituation, but it felt good knowing that I wasn't the only person inthe world who did crazy stuff for sneakers. In 88, my entire Jr High was rocking Adidas Attitudes/Altitudes. It was like there was a sale thateveryone knew about except me.  

I can appreciate this guy's love for his sneaks, but there IS a lot of junk there. 

It's nice to see the Ewings, Mutumbos, NBs, Etonics, etc that were associated with the players back then, but outside of a few of pairs i don't think it'd be anything i'd care to own myself.

I can't say that I care for most of the Wilsons, Brooks, Spaldings, Asics, Pumas, K-Swiss etc that he pulled out.  Not hot back then, and not hot now.  It's like going to a bunch of old mom and pop shops and clearing out their inventories AFTER everyone else has been through their stockrooms and getting the leftovers.

Some of the Nikes he pulled out were whack too.  Why would you show those Air Posterize?! or those trainers with the 6453 on the heel?  I wouldn't.  I mean, it's cool if you have them, but not really something to show in this kind of interview.  The inner shoe nerd in me also caught when he called those budget Flights some "Air" Flights, that they'll probably retro sooner or later.  That just ain't right.  That's some pretty basic knowledge right there.  To me that kind of discredits his sneaker knowledge.

He does have some pretty cool rare items or pairs with great stories behind them, but he also seemed to buy anything and everything he could get his hands on.  It's all just really old which makes it rare, i guess. 

If you go to the clearance racks at Big 5 Sporting goods or JC Penny or the Sports Authority and buy up everything you see that no one else cares about for the next 10-15 years, you will eventually have what this guy has now.  If If you've been buying up some Dunk.Net Shaq shoes, some Starburys, entry level Asics or Brooks runners, some Phat Farms, And1s, Fubus, any NKE 6.0s, those new zigzaggy reebok runners, any kind of UAs, and a couple of Free Trainers or some cleats or volleyball court shoes from where ever and sit on them for a decade, you could be like this guy.

I don't mean to be disrespectful here; just voicing my own opinion.  There's a lot of nice stuff, but a lot of not so nice stuff.  Really, it's just a lot of stuff.

Also, let's keep it real:  LA Gear Catapults are as whack now as they were back then.
tongue.gif

Back
Top Bottom