Kid friendly hiphop project/suggestions?

ive been trying for the last few years to come up with a master list of kid friendly hiphop

i had no idea just how much hiphop out there isnt appropriate for children, even the clean versions dont account for drug use and sexual content

my son is 8
my hiphop intro to him has been mostly reduced to 80's hiphop with a few scatters of current selections

i know many of you love music as much as i do
what do you do in this area for younger children?

i did notice alot of VEVO videos are clean versions, so that helped out
only problem was i put the clean video version of 'Good Life' on my sons iPad, next thing i know he's walking around singing about popping bottles and ****

im like aw man, we cant be doing that
you too young for that

Outkast is another problem
while Andre3000 is cool, BigBoi cant help but put a pistol, dope, or sexual content in his rhymes

then i thought about the Bombs of Baghdad video....NOPE, stripper pole, and strippers.
damn BigBoi :smh:

someone suggested Camp Lo
to which they do curse, but they rhyme so fast no one really understands what they're saying

any suggestions

so far i have these videos:

Rob Base - It Takes Two
Fat Boys - All You Can Eat
Run DMC -
Tribe Called Quest- Award Tour
Big Daddy Kane - Aint No Half Steppin
Bid KRIT - Bigger Picture
Common - Come Close
D Nice - They Call Me D Nice
De La Soul - Me Myself and I
Digable Planets - Rebirth
Kanye West - Heard Them Say
Kid n Play - Gettin Funky
LL Cool J - I Need A Beat
LL Cool J - Im Bad
MC Lyte - Cha Cha Cha
Mos Def - Umi Says
Outkast - Rosa Parks
Shad - The Old Prince Lives At Home
Slick Rick - Childrens Story
Will Smith - Men In Black

I instantly thought of Will Smith and Run DMC, but looks like you already have that :lol:

"Gettin' Funky" :smokin

I make it a point to remind people that once upon a time, Kid N' Play had JOINTS.

My theme song-"I Ain't No Joke" by Eric B. and Rakim.
My sons theme song-"I Ain't No Joke" by Eric B. and Rakim.

Ra (The God MC) says "Damn" once in it, otherwise it's good money.

I'm sure there's more from DeLa + Fat Boys to that you can use.

And I'd rather go with some Jazzy Jeff+Fresh Prince than Will Smith joints. "Brand New Funk", "Summertime" etc.

Last edited:
De La Soul is pretty clean. Grind Date I think could be kid friendly
Beastie Boys don't really curse.. All of Licensed to Ill is swear-word free

Other songs I can think of :

Outkast - Hey Ya
Nas - I Know I Can
Kendrick - I
Lupe Fiasco - Superstar

grandmaster flash - the message

blackalicious - alphabet aerobics (can always go with the extra PG harry potter version)

eminem - lose yourself (might have a few words in there, one of those songs where you're not missing anything with the clean version)

black star - definition, thieves in the night (might be too deep for a kid but its hiphop at its best)

talib kweli - give em hell 

ice cube - today was a good day (minimal curse words so the clean version isnt too different)

ice cube - today was a good day (minimal curse words so the clean version isnt too different)

see
Today was a Good Day is another one of those songs your mind instantly goes to, but when you really look at the lyrics its like idk man

Cube talking about AK's and bagging a chick from the 12th grade :lol:

another on is I Know I Can by Nas

Nas talking about sniffing coke, smoking weed and ice

however
surprisingly Nas - Bridging the Gap is kid friendly

my son really likes it because his middle name is Nasir and he was born in Mississippi too

im disappointed that the hiphop community hasnt tried to capitalize off of this

Prince Paul tried
he came out with The Dino 5
i think it has Del, De La, and a few others
but its real kiddy like

i applaud his effort though

The message has some content in it your kid shouldnt hear. Undercover..... Hag and pissing are in the song. Dunno how you feel about it.

Last edited:
Tread Water by De La has got to be one of the most kid friendly rap songs ever.

Rakim rarely curses and most of his lyrics are tame too.

OH MY GOD :x :rofl:

Anyway, i think that Nappy Roots song "Around the World" is pretty kid friendly

now that I think about it there's a little talk about weed in there...

Every joint you think is "clean", when you go back and really listen to it, it's not really.

I listened to "Parents Just Don't Understand", and one minute it's all good and the next Will getting pulled over in his parents whip with a minor :lol:

Last edited:
I just threw a party for my 1yr old son today. (Popular/ mainstream)Rap is brain poison, but I grew up on
an find it extremely hard to break the habit. I wanted to create a list like your doing, but its just too hard( and im a big critic)
So I just got the instrumentals to alot of dope songs, so I could play what I thought was hot but not have to worry about
message/content, and language.

Everyone had a blast and I felt I didnt hve to compromise, tho i sorta did. If anyone wants it, I can send the zip.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom