Kobe Bryant wins 2007-2008 NBA MVP

http://www.latimes.com/sports/basketball/nba/lakers/la-sp-kobe3-2008may03,0,6643435.story

It took 12 seasons, but Kobe Bryant has finally been selected the NBA's most valuable player, The Times has learned.

Sources familiar with the outcome who were not authorized to speak publicly about the award until the official announcement from the league said Commissioner David Stern will be in Los Angeles next week to present the trophy to Bryant.

The award, selected by NBA writers and broadcasters, figured to go to either Bryant or New Orleans guard Chris Paul, who guided the Hornets to second place in the Western Conference in the regular season.

Bryant's season capped a massive turnaround from a tumultuous off-season in which he asked to be traded.

The Lakers went from shaky preseason forecasts to winning the top spot in the West, finishing 57-25 in one of the most grueling regular-season races in league history. The Lakers then swept Denver in the first round of the playoffs, with Bryant averaging 33.5 points a game in the series, although the votes had already been cast by then.

Bryant, 29, lost a little in the scoring column during the regular season, falling from 31.6 points a game last season to 28.3 during the 2007-08 season, but his defense was notably better and he averaged 6.3 rebounds and 5.4 assists, numbers that were tied for the second- and fourth-best outputs of his career.

He also deferred to teammates much more than in the last few seasons and rarely forced his will on games, a trait that saddled him in the past.

Despite his explosive on-court ability, Bryant never engendered much MVP support until this season. He was third in the voting last season, fourth two seasons ago, and did not receive a vote three years ago when the Lakers failed to make the playoffs.

He was fifth when the Lakers last advanced to the NBA Finals, in 2003-04.

As the 2007-08 regular season wound down, Bryant spoke about the MVP award.

"MVP nowadays is not an individual award," he said last month. "You really have to make your teammates better and elevate your ballclub. For me to be nominated in that race is a tremendous honor because that's really been one of the criticisms that people have had of me, is how well do I make my teammates better. From that standpoint, I feel like I've already won."

The Lakers usually let the fortunes of their players rest on their own achievements, but the team took the added step of creating a Bryant-for-MVP campaign by sending material to NBA writers around the league.

The concept mimicked an old-style political election campaign and consisted of bumper stickers, campaign buttons, red suspenders and a letter from "campaign manager" Jerry Buss, who urged writers to vote for Bryant.

It might have lent a helping hand, although Bryant's season-long play ultimately had the final say.

Bryant is the fourth Laker to win the MVP award. Shaquille O'Neal won in 2000, Magic Johnson won three times, the last in 1990, and Kareem Abdul-Jabbar won the MVP three times as a Laker, the last time in 1980.

well deserved
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

[color= rgb(255, 0, 0)]YES!!![/color]
eek.gif

[color= rgb(255, 0, 0)]Congrats to Kobe and the Lakers.[/color]

Damn, good for him. He deserved it

I'm sure he wants the trophy more though
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

indifferent.gif

Please no.

This is like some sort of horrible nightmare.

Please no.

tired.gif

Shuges, Jblack, Fr3sh, etc...

I know this is a difficult time for u guys but:

21cfbj9.jpg

just seemed like the right time for this pic
laugh.gif
tongue.gif

It's gonna be so funny when announcers start slurping this dude and all of you who complain/ed about LBJ getting special treatment will be the same oneschirping, cheering, and crying (tears of joy) over the accolades Raper Guard 24 will now get.

laugh.gif
@ true 3 blue

It's gonna be so funny when announcers start slurping this dude and all of you who complain/ed about LBJ getting special treatment will be the same ones chirping, cheering, and crying (tears of joy) over the accolades Raper Guard 24 will now get.

i promise you... if Kobe gets slurped to half the level of James i will retire from NT.

Back
Top Bottom