**LA LAKERS THREAD** Sitting on 17! 2023-2024 offseason begins

What's with the Lakers infatuation with the initials DH lol

Del Harris
Darvin Ham
Dan Hurley

Screenshot_20240607_020440_X.jpg

Lakers draft related content from ESPN's latest big board.

11. Ron Holland | SF | G League Ignite
6-8 | Age: 18.9 | Previously ranked: 11
Holland's range appears to be a little wider than initially thought. He has fans among teams drafting in the top 10 but is casting a fairly wide net in workouts, including teams such as the Miami Heat at No. 15 and the Los Angeles Lakers at No. 17, in part because of his strong positional fit in those attractive markets. Holland's game might not be best-suited for a workout setting with his streaky jumper, especially with many lottery candidates opting for one-on-zeros, which means he'll have to find other ways to impress NBA teams with his toughness and aggressiveness.

He's among the youngest players in this class, while boasting outstanding measurements with real scoring productivity in the G League, but teams say they are having a somewhat difficult time pegging his floor. -- Givony

13. Devin Carter | PG/SG | Providence
6-3 | Age: 22.2 | Previously ranked: 13
Carter has built up buzz throughout the pre-draft process and has worked himself comfortably into the Nos. 8-15 pick range. He worked out for the Los Angeles Lakers at No. 17 this week and has multiple workouts in the lottery still scheduled. While he has not accepted any type of promise from a team, he is trending in a positive direction, with front offices intrigued by his motor, scoring ability and defensive toughness. The San Antonio Spurs (No. 8), who have a need at guard, and the Memphis Grizzlies (No. 9), where his father, Anthony Carter, serves as an assistant coach, are viewed as the high end of his range.

Another interesting landing spot would be the Miami Heat at No. 15, where his father played from 1999 to 2003 and coached from 2018 to '23, creating a level of familiarity. Carter will also be of interest to playoff-caliber teams that are considering moving up in the draft. -- Woo

15. Jared McCain | PG | Duke
6-3 | Age: 20.2 | Previously ranked: 15
Teams say McCain is taking a different strategy than most players who are in his draft range, which is believed to be around Nos. 9 to 20. He is refusing one-on-zero workouts in favor of competitive 3-on-3 group settings. Even though he is viewed as one of the best shooters in this draft, the opportunity to showcase his toughness and mentality could be beneficial, even working out mostly against projected second-round picks.

With most of the teams in his range also looking for shooting finesse, including Memphis, Oklahoma City, Sacramento, Miami, Los Angeles, Orlando and Toronto, McCain likely won't have a very long wait to hear his name called on draft night. -- Givony

16. Zach Edey | C | Purdue
7-5 | Age: 22.0 | Previously ranked: 16
Teams say Edey's range appears to be in the Nos. 9-19 range based on the workouts he has conducted and scheduled. He was with the Toronto Raptors this past week, will visit the Los Angeles Lakers, and is in the conversation at Memphis (9), Utah (10), Chicago (11), Oklahoma City (12), Portland (14) and Miami (15).

Several teams say Edey's productivity ranks him as a top-three prospect in this class according to their draft models -- ESPN's Kevin Pelton had him ranked No. 2 in his stats-only draft projections. He proved nearly unstoppable in the paint at the college level, drawing fouls, crashing the offensive glass and dismantling defenses with his screening and the incredible gravity he offers diving to the rim in pick-and-roll, helping Purdue shoot 40% from the 3-point line. -- Givony

Last edited:
I like the idea of Dan Hurley BUT don't think we have the right roster for his system:
-he runs fast pace/tempo trying to get easy buckets running or when the defense isn't set -->motion offense, shoot open 3s, pick n roll
-aggressive defense, pressing, forcing turnovers
I'd say Indiana Pacers/OKC would be better fit for his playstyle..

Would have been great for Lebron.. 15 years ago. AD is on the ground getting up, hard for him to run the floor from there.

Think Gabe Vincent fits, Christie! Vando (on defense), AR (on offense), Bron (only when he tries), AD will make it work. Just not IDEAL fit

I like the idea of Dan Hurley BUT don't think we have the right roster for his system:
-he runs fast pace/tempo trying to get easy buckets running or when the defense isn't set -->motion offense, shoot open 3s, pick n roll
-aggressive defense, pressing, forcing turnovers
I'd say Indiana Pacers/OKC would be better fit for his playstyle..

Would have been great for Lebron.. 15 years ago. AD is on the ground getting up, hard for him to run the floor from there.

Think Gabe Vincent fits, Christie! Vando (on defense), AR (on offense), Bron (only when he tries), AD will make it work. Just not IDEAL fit
IF Hurley gets hired, I think we'll just see how it goes next season and then there's a possible reset the season after.

I don't think this guy's personality will mesh with NBA players in Los Angeles. He's the kinda guy who punches his steering wheel in traffic. Hurleys are built to coach HS/college.

It would be a long term hire
The roster today is irrelevant

He will shape the program and bring the players that fit over the next few seasons

This hire would be an admission that the window has closed with Lebron and AD, given they just played an injury free season and got gentleman swept in the first round

I don't think this guy's personality will mesh with NBA players in Los Angeles. He's the kinda guy who punches his steering wheel in traffic. Hurleys are built to coach HS/college.
This is my worry, but Woj is speaking on his behalf when he says he'll talk to grown men differently than the 18-22 years olds he's had at UCONN.

100 million....... Interesting.

Be tough for UConn to beat that.
At this point, if that's true, it's not about money.
It's about positioning.
"Do you want to leave a back-to-back championship situation for... this?"
😬

Back
Top Bottom