[:: LAKERS 2014 THREAD | POLL: Who Should Coach Next Year? ::]

WHO SHOULD COACH THE LAKERS NEXT SEASON?

• Mike _'Antoni

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Stan Van Gundy

• Byron Scott

• George Karl

• Jerry Sloan

• Kurt Rambis

• Nate McMillan

• Doug Collins

• College Coach (Mention Name and School)...

• Total voters
i remember reading a stat about how kobe was shooting >50% on plays where he gets the ball in the post/elbow and does not have to put in the effort he usually does when creating a shot on his own 
nerd.gif

I understand your position on he should shoot less, especially on tough shots, but that is the very point. His skill, and one that no other Laker has, is to take, and make, tough shots by his own creation. Fish can't create his own, Fox can't, Horry, Bynum, Sasha, Luke, etc etc etc. The closest I can think of outside of Lamar (who can really only create his own layups, not shots off the dribble) would be Shannon freaking Brown. :lol: :lol:

He is, and has been our shot creator for a long while now.

TODAY, we have Nick Young and X that can do it, and Farmar looks like he can be one of those as well.

Blake last night was tryin to create his own shots, and well, he's better as a spot up guy, let's put it that way. :lol:

It's EASY to SAY he should pass up 1-2 shots per game, sure, but in the course of a season, that's 80-160 shots per year that he is paid to take. And X number of them actually go in, well, that can mean the difference in games we win by a point, or lose by a point, the fact is, he is the man that is paid to get those buckets, not Shannon, not Sasha, Luke, Horry, Fox, etc etc etc.

Kidd's job was to pass it to whoever he could get an open look. I could just as EASILY say, hey Jason, since the defense is leaving you WIDE open, just like Kobe was doin to Rondo in the NBA Finals, you should take that WIDE open 15 footer and not pass it to Dirk for a 23 footer, or Pierce for a 22 footer, you should shoot more, and pass less, but guess what, they can't do that, so they don't.

Works both ways, just as easy my man.

maybe the 44%er has to create a shot off of a broken play when his teammates give him the ball with 3 seconds left :nerd:

maybe the 44%er doesnt care about his percentages and just yolos up a half court shot before a quarter ends :nerd:

Oh hey

Oh, I'm not trying to defend Pau; DONNNEEE with him.

And you bring up Kidd's shooting% every time we do this, when it's obviously the least desirable thing about him, and nowhere close to the something I like about him. No, I don't think you can just leave Kidd open for 3 (he was absolutely one of the ones that busted our head from the perimeter en route to their 2010 title), but overall? Yeah, if a team was to rely on Kidd for scoring in order to win the game... yikes.

I know Kobe's shots are created vs Pau's spoonfed shots, but I'm saying, as far as shooting % goes... 44% from a SG is 4% higher than 40% from a PF/C... period.

So yes, given 100 shots, the 44%er is going to make more of them; 4 more, to be exact.

Given that they're at least marginally in the same vicinity, maybe the 44%er should, possibly, consider, if logic crosses his mind at all... shoot a little less. Not 'shoot never', but just... less.

Then ANOTHER angle is that if his percentage is because his shots are so difficult from having to create them... maybe... make things a little less difficult by... and we've never agreed on this... passing on a few of those baseline fadeaway double team shots.

Like, I wouldn't care for 2 seconds if JR Smith came at me like "Well my percentage is lower than Andrew Bynum's because he dunks, and I have to jack up crazy shots."

Well, stop making your shots so crazy, and shoot less of them. Done and done. :lol:
wait what? if theres a 44% shooter and a 40% shooter why would the 44% shooter shoot less :lol:

the thing about this argument is that you have kobe one guy shooting 44% and any respectable bigman that's not mega soft like pau shooting 50% then yes if they could each take 100 shots kobe would make 44 and not pau would make 50

the thing about basketball is, there is this thing called the other team and 87% of the time the other team plays some sort of defense. By using this magical thing called defense, they are going to limit how many open spoon fed shots not pau can take. The difference is that kobe's job is to also take all the extra shots that come from a guy like not pau not being able to get the ball in the position he wants.

if pau could figure out how to get the ball in his most efficient spot (somewhere in the post) then yes he should be getting more shots than kobe, but that doesnt seem to be the case (lack of effort, defenses defending, ect.)

*nodding*

Doesn't matter?

I've had people tell me 40% is... OUTSTANDING.

The conversation was about someone else, though.
Not sure if you're talking specifically from mid-range or the general field, but 40% from the mid-range, especially at high volume is outstanding.

Well now.......

Ska is about to stop enjoying this conversation very, very much. :lol:

Oh, I'm good w/ this convo, every time.

Mostly because I actually play ball. :wink: Regularly. About to start a 2nd coaching stint, too.

Last edited:
Pau looking for $15mil next year... Good bye.

I can live with $23 mil Kobe.. I can live with that... I will never live with Pau anywhere more than $9mil.

Last edited:
Pau is not worth 15 mil
laugh.gif
 nor is he worth 9mil. If I'm the Lakers, I would offer him the full MLE. Still, I wouldn't even want him back for that price...

If he gets $15mil from us. It's because we struck out and have no other options.

I'd give him $7-8mil. I'm fine with that. But also Nash has to be gone. Not stretch provision gone... Retired gone.

Last edited:
If he gets $15mil from us. It's because we struck out and have no other options.

I'd give him $7-8mil. I'm fine with that. But also Nash has to be gone. Not stretch provision gone... Retired gone.
not signing anyone is a better option than resigning pau

Well, my gut feeling is that Mitch won't sign any of these free agents in 2014 maybe a Luol Deng but doubt it. He will just wait another year with a mediocre team. I believe he will sign K Love in 2015 then Russy in 2017. With Kobe off the books after 2015, he will sign Russy. So that right there is a start...I know us Lakers fans can't wait but that would have to do...

Last edited:
Well, my gut feeling is that Mitch won't sign any of these free agents in 2014 maybe a Luol Deng but doubt it. He will just wait another year with a mediocre team. I believe he will sign K Love in 2015 then Russy in 2017. With Kobe off the books after 2015, he will sign Russy. So that right there is a start...I know us Lakers fans can't wait but that would have to do...

Why would OKC let go of Russel? They will do whatever it takes to resign him.

There is a chance K love might come though

Let me grab my screwdriver, tweak a few things around for accuracy:[quote name="sea manup"1"][QUOTE name="ACBboyz84"]
View media item 677144[/QUOTE]not a single person moving in his sights while kobe dribbles for half a hour :smh: [/quote] Fixed.

And yes, that really is the story of his career. :lol:

Told y'all this bench was done upon his return. And this talk of Young for 6MOY? Buhbye.

Oh wait, if I'm right and this bench really does dissolve upon Kobe's return... It will be because Farmar's injured, and Blake's ailing. Swear to god, there is ALWAYS an out.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom