LAKERS OFFICIAL END OF SEASON THREAD: IT WAS FUN! THANKS FOR THE RUN LAKERS! LAKER FANS STAND UP!

LA Times: Mitch Kupchak has reached out to Webber and PJ Brown

Quote:

The Lakers have 14 players under contract and can add one more if they wish. They have reached out to free agent Chris Webber and might contact P.J. Brown,each of whom are forward-center types who have not played this season.

"We're going to look at replacement players and if there is a way to get another big player that can help us win games," Kupchak said. "Canyou replace Andrew? Of course not. The list is short on the kind of players that if you picked them up, they would play and help you win, but we'll look atit."

http://www.latimes.com/sports/baske...eadlines-sports-nba-lakers&ctrack=1&cset=true

Originally Posted by GSDOUBLEU

Warrior fan here, i can't believe i'm doing this cause i do not like the Lakers ( I dont hate them like Zo though, i respect them), but DAMN you guys are playing really well right now. Just came in to give you guys props.
pimp.gif

nice to see a warrior fan give us some props. I live in the bay so i root for both teams except when the play each other(lakers all the way)

also just read on latimes.com that the lakers have reached out to chris webber and are hoping to contact p.j brown soon.

link

Originally Posted by presequel

LA Times: Mitch Kupchak has reached out to Webber and PJ Brown

Quote:

The Lakers have 14 players under contract and can add one more if they wish. They have reached out to free agent Chris Webber and might contact P.J. Brown, each of whom are forward-center types who have not played this season.

"We're going to look at replacement players and if there is a way to get another big player that can help us win games," Kupchak said. "Can you replace Andrew? Of course not. The list is short on the kind of players that if you picked them up, they would play and help you win, but we'll look at it."

http://www.latimes.com/sports/baske...eadlines-sports-nba-lakers&ctrack=1&cset=true
Good news, we need another 4/5 type player.
Webber would excel in the triangle(he has great passing skills), but is he really the defensive presence the Lakers are looking for? No
I think P.J. Brown would fill the Lakers need more than Webber would

BSPN Daily Dime:

While Bynum Heals, Lakers Aim To Fill The Gaps

Rose_Jalen_55.jpg
By Jalen Rose
ESPN.com

The first game the Los Angeles Lakers played after losing center Andrew Bynum for two months might be seen as a coming attraction for the Staples Center until the middle of March arrives.

Kobe Bryant will probably be doing more in the weeks ahead. Without Bynum down low, Kobe's going to have to take tougher shots and work harder on both ends for the Lakers' successful season to stay on track.

Bryant took 44 shots and scored a season-high 48 points in their 123-121 overtime win Monday night on the road against the Seattle SuperSonics. It was the Lakers' seventh win in a row.

It has to affect you when you lose your 20-year-old phenom who's leading the league in field-goal percentage, having shown great promise under the coaching of a Hall of Fame center, Kareem Abdul-Jabbar

While Bynum's out rehabilitating his left knee, the spotlight shines brighter on backup centers Kwame Brown and Ronny Turiaf.

This is a good opportunity for Brown, who had 10 points and 10 rebounds against the Sonics. He missed most of the season with a knee injury, having returned on Dec. 28. The fans have been getting on him, and my boy Stephen A. Smith has been getting on him. He hasn't played confident basketball.

He's had better times. He was productive in the last couple of games of Phoenix playoff series last season, which I got to see up close from my spot on the Suns bench.

He's in a contract year. The best thing that can happen is he holds down the fort, and when Bynum comes back, you have two big centers you can send out there.

Turiaf, who fouled out with 14 points and two rebounds against Seattle, has big shoes to fill anytime he goes out there and competes with 7-footers. I've always liked his love of the game.

Anybody else out there who could help? Chris Webber is one player the Lakers could consider bringing in. You always think bringing in Webber would be a good move, but when you have a winning situation already, you have to keep all the factors in mind. Right now, it looks like my old Michigan teammate has an opportunity to sit back and see what happens across the league, and pick the situation that's just right for him.

Some might suggest that this two-month break is good for a young player like Bynum, saving him from wear and tear of the 82-game season.

I disagree. When you're 20, you can play at 6 in the morning, 7 at night, any time. You can dunk at the shootaround, at the game, any time. When you get older, you appreciate what you could do as a young man. Fortunately for Bynum, this isn't one of those knee injuries that knocks him out for a full season. I don't see anything getting in the way of him getting back in form for the playoffs.

While Bynum is out, I think the Lakers will find a way play .500. Look for Kobe to find a way to stay afloat, just as the Lakers did against the Sonics.

And when the playoffs roll around, I wouldn't be surprised to see them in the top 5 in the West seedings. One of the effects of losing Bynum could be hurting their chance at homecourt advantage by getting one of the top four playoffs seeds. Even if they don't get the homecourt advantage, this could end up being a team that nobody wants to play, having Kobe and Phil Jackson on the bench. And a promising center in the middle.

ESPN analyst Jalen Rose is a regular Daily Dime contributor. For more about Jalen, visit his Web site: JalenRose.com.

Link:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/dailydime?page=dime-080115

Webber would be nice but I'm pretty sure he's going back to Detroit. PJ Brown on the other hand would be a good fit. Hopefully he can still playdefense.

yea the lakers are playin very well. not having bynum will hurt but hopefully you won't drop too far in the standings. i can't lie, i've watchedsome laker games and seeing kobe getting hyped up by his teammate's play is fun to watch. i just hope they lose
happy.gif

Can someone confirm if PJ Brown is a FA? I haven't heard word if the Bulls have released him or anything ....

But, I've been saying brown for the past couple weeks.

I'd rather have Brown, Webber couldn't guard me in the post. Brown can knock a 15 footer and play some D. I'll take that for a month or so.

Kobe KCAL 9 post game interview.Kobe says the Lakers are a championship team with Bynum.So I guess he no longer wants to "Ship his a*s out"
laugh.gif
tongue.gif

From ESPN:

January 15.
Searching For A Big Man

In an update provided by a team source, Chris Mihm is at least two weeks from returning, if not longer, from a sore right Achilles tendon.

Thus, the Lakers are sifting through the free-agent bin and coming up with such names as Chris Webber, P.J. Brown and DJ Mbenga.

"We've talked to the Lakers organization several times prior to Andrew's unfortunate injury," said Webber's agent, Aaron Goodwin. "Obviously, they're a much better team with Andrew playing than they are without him. I think [Webber] will make a decision where he's going to play this week." -- Los Angeles Times

Source:
http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/features/rumors?&action=login&appRedirect=http%3a%2f%2finsider.espn.go.com%2fnba%2ffeatures%2frumors

Seattle SuperSonics
Kurt Thomas makes a little over $8 million this season -- which is a lot for a player who is aging, and has a fairly limited game. But he is about to come off the books entirely, and players with decent-sized expiring contracts always look a little better near the trade deadline, as they are the surest way for a team to meaningfully reduce payroll next season.

Most importantly, as a bruising defender with a knack for slowing Tim Duncan, Thomas might be the kind of bauble a playoff-bound team like the Lakers will fall in love with. In addition, the Sonics have long been interested in dealing one of their excess point guards -- probably Earl Watson who has not been happy with his limited role on a bad team.

Los Angeles Lakers
When I first started thinking about this entry a few days ago, Kwame Brown was expendable. Not that the Lakers are the most money-conscious team, but shedding just $1.2 million in salary would turn the team from luxury tax payers into luxury tax players, and Brown's $9 million contract for something slightly smaller (remember we were talking about Kurt Thomas?) would have gotten the team close. However, now that Andrew Bynum is out for eight weeks with a trick kneecap, a youngish athlete like Brown -- think of him as a middle reliever/mop-up man -- could be worth one more try.

Nevertheless, if you're the Lakers, remember how this season started: with your superstar Kobe Bryant feeling an urge to win now, and feeling distraught at the poor quality of his teammates. Yes, the team has just won seven in a row for a share of first in the West. But in the Game 1 without the injured Bynum, they were almost knocked off by the lowly Sonics. If there is a chance to get something done to improve the roster this team will do it. Upping the chances they might deal is the reality that they are just barely over that all-important luxury tax line.

http://myespn.go.com/nba/truehoop

"do it mitch"
laugh.gif

I know Bynum has been a big factor in our winning streak and the past month or so, and I know we have to compensate for his loss...

But damn, we don't need Kobe firing up 40 shots in these games. I watched a little of last night's game and it was hard to watch Kobe taking shot aftershot after shot. At least I got to see Ronny step up and do well which is what SHOULD happen.

Get your teammates involved, Kobe.

Originally Posted by LamarOwnsem

I know Bynum has been a big factor in our winning streak and the past month or so, and I know we have to compensate for his loss...

But damn, we don't need Kobe firing up 40 shots in these games. I watched a little of last night's game and it was hard to watch Kobe taking shot after shot after shot. At least I got to see Ronny step up and do well which is what SHOULD happen.

Get your teammates involved, Kobe.

Not defending Kobe's performance last night, But what about Odom's bricks?

Let's talk about him...

He was 3-15 (20%) He chucked up 3, 3 pointers that were way off. He shot one that hit hard off the glass, that luckily Walton was able to rebound it, whenthey were down by 4.

Not to mention how many layups he missed. He's supposed to be the 2nd, if not, the 3rd scorer on this team, and he contributes nothing.

If that's what you get for 13 million, then that's a failed investment.

Even Kwame was 3-4 last night.

Back
Top Bottom